Looking into Beach detecting any help would be appreciated

Godric

Jun 3, 2013
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all Im looking into beach detecting mainly but maybe other locations too. I am setting out to find some coins/jewelery Im going to mainly be detecting a beach in lower ny - jones beach - my main question is what is a good detector for beaches? I was looking into buying the Garrett ACE 250 Sports Package Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors its the sports package with 2 coils for $300 with a bunch of other stuff to . Is this a good one for beaches or does anyone have some other suggestions .... also anyone detects in the lower ny area ? do i need permits or anything for the beaches out here?

Upvote 0

ENTHUSIAST

May 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Looking for my 1st detector!!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in SD and been leaning toward the ATPro for my 1st MD it seems to be a very popular detector AND it is waterproof.

I plan on using it for beaches and parks.

Treasurecoast1715

Jul 3, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in SD and been leaning toward the ATPro for my 1st MD it seems to be a very popular detector AND it is waterproof.

I plan on using it for beaches and parks.

Hello Godric,

One thing you want to look out for while metal detecting a beach, especially with salt water is ground mineralization. The Ace 250 only has a fixed factory preset ground balance. You really want to look at something with manual or automatic ground balance (which would adjust to the conditions of the soil as you go). The Garrett AT Pro is one of the best all around detectors in a bit higher price range IMHO. It's waterproof up to 10 feet, so don't have to worry if it gets a little wet etc. The AT Pro also has the manual and automatic ground balance features. Hope this helps.

Not sure about permits up in your area. In Florida it's basically ok from the dunes to the water as long as not in a National Park etc.

Kellyco is great. I am sure they can give you some other options as well, very friendly and helpful sales staff. They got me up and running!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Single frequency VLF machines (Very Low Frequency) like the Ace 250, have limitations in the harsh saltwater environment. Take for example the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. This VLF single frequency machine (17.9Khz) is one of the finest and deepest gold nugget finders on the market today. The Lobo Super Traq, is capable of finding BB-sized gold nuggets eight-inches deep in heavily mineralized ground, or a nickel in dry beach sand at 12-inches. Put that same nugget – or even the nickel, seven-inches deep in wet saltwater sand and the Lobo could walk right over it while chattering, or maybe without seeing it at all. Why?

The magnetic iron sands (“Black Sands”), salt, and high concentrations of other minerals in the water and sand conspire to bounce the radio waves away from the target. Conductivity and mineralization act like a shield around the target and create white noise that must be filtered electronically. Think of it as turning on your bright headlights in a heavy fog at night. All that powerful light is diffused and causes a complete white out – you can’t see anything three-feet past the hood of your car! However when you turn on your yellow fog lights, you can see a little further – not as far as you could in clear daylight, but further. That is why all radio wave machines must be “ground balanced” or tuned, to maximize their depth potential, and why BBS filters and multi-frequencies are so effective – yet still limited.

Unlike BBS (multi-frequency "Broad Band Spectrum) and single-frequency VLF metal detectors, which constantly send and receive thousands of low frequency sine waves per second, a Pulse Induction (PI) metal detector fires high-voltage pulses into the sand several hundred times per second. If no metal is present the electric pulse decays at a uniform rate with no anomalies. When metal is present a small “eddy” current flows through it causing the voltage decay time to increase, which creates a measurable anomaly. Unlike VLF radio waves, electronic pulses are impervious to the effects of conductivity and mineralization, and are unaffected by salt or black sands.

You need a multi-frequency or PI machine for best results in wet saltwater sand or saltwater.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recommend something in the Tesoro line of saltwater detectors. The Sand or Tiger shark would be more ideal than a 250. They don't have all the bells and whistle, but they work. VLF detectors aren't designed for saltwater wet sand or surf. Just my opinion.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI Tiger Shark is a VLF. They have a saltwater setting on them but not sure it really works that well. Sand Shark is a PI machine without any discrimination.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would not buy a ace 150 250 or 350. Better choices out there for sure. As was suggested Tesoro Sandshark is a great option!

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI Tiger Shark is a VLF. They have a saltwater setting on them but not sure it really works that well. Sand Shark is a PI machine without any discrimination.

Never knew the T-shark was a vlf. Needless to say, if i move closer to the beach, i'd opt for a Tesoro. Not much of that here in western pa. LoL

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the Tiger Shark at some beaches where the black sand was less and the Tiger Shark gave a "tic" once in awhile but it is not the best detector for most saltwater beaches where a BBS or PI would work better because of more frequencies.

Terry gave an excellent post. but I am headed for the sack and I am cranky. :laughing7:

OP
OP
G

Godric

Jun 3, 2013
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your replys! Im looking more into the sand shark then I think it would fit my needs a little better just need to save up some more for it

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your replys! Im looking more into the sand shark then I think it would fit my needs a little better just need to save up some more for it

I just sold a sand shark for less than I should have. You can get them used every week or so on Fleabay. Good, dependable machines but be sure and have a big sand scoop. Be prepared to dig deep too. I'm too lazy and don't have enough time when I do get to the beach to dig everything.

Last edited:

VERODIGDUG

May 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a sand shark about 3 months ago for beach use only. Since its a PI it picks up EVERYTHING, so be prepared for a lot of digging. Like its been said already, a good long handled sand scoop is a must have as well. I got the sand shark because of the price point since its my first detector. For the money, I think it's a great beach detector. Good luck

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Single frequency VLF machines (Very Low Frequency) like the Ace 250, have limitations in the harsh saltwater environment. Take for example the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. This VLF single frequency machine (17.9Khz) is one of the finest and deepest gold nugget finders on the market today. The Lobo Super Traq, is capable of finding BB-sized gold nuggets eight-inches deep in heavily mineralized ground, or a nickel in dry beach sand at 12-inches. Put that same nugget – or even the nickel, seven-inches deep in wet saltwater sand and the Lobo could walk right over it while chattering, or maybe without seeing it at all. Why?

The magnetic iron sands (“Black Sands”), salt, and high concentrations of other minerals in the water and sand conspire to bounce the radio waves away from the target. Conductivity and mineralization act like a shield around the target and create white noise that must be filtered electronically. Think of it as turning on your bright headlights in a heavy fog at night. All that powerful light is diffused and causes a complete white out – you can’t see anything three-feet past the hood of your car! However when you turn on your yellow fog lights, you can see a little further – not as far as you could in clear daylight, but further. That is why all radio wave machines must be “ground balanced” or tuned, to maximize their depth potential, and why BBS filters and multi-frequencies are so effective – yet still limited.

Unlike BBS (multi-frequency "Broad Band Spectrum) and single-frequency VLF metal detectors, which constantly send and receive thousands of low frequency sine waves per second, a Pulse Induction (PI) metal detector fires high-voltage pulses into the sand several hundred times per second. If no metal is present the electric pulse decays at a uniform rate with no anomalies. When metal is present a small “eddy” current flows through it causing the voltage decay time to increase, which creates a measurable anomaly. Unlike VLF radio waves, electronic pulses are impervious to the effects of conductivity and mineralization, and are unaffected by salt or black sands.

You need a multi-frequency or PI machine for best results in wet saltwater sand or saltwater.

Great post here! Multi-frequency is the way to go on the salt water beaches!

hunterray2002

Jan 15, 2011
Pa. Fl.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Detectorpro, Fisher, Garrett.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Grab a copy of my Beach Guide on Amazon.com (Metal Detecting The Beaches From Maine To Florida. only $10. It'll be a big help in locatiing beaches to hunt. ship wrecks, how to's ,saftey, and much more. A must have.

OP
OP
G

Godric

Jun 3, 2013
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thx hunter im actually ordering it when i get out of work this morning Ok now has anyone got some feed back on the Minelab explorer SE_pro? I really want an all around detector but mainly salt water how does this do at the beaches?

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thx hunter im actually ordering it when i get out of work this morning Ok now has anyone got some feed back on the Minelab explorer SE_pro? I really want an all around detector but mainly salt water how does this do at the beaches?

I was looking at this MD as well, but i don't think its waterproof. If anything, only the coil is. I was looking at both the White's MXT and ML se pro. I think either would do well in the dry sand and ok in the wet sand. They both have a saltwater mode, however from what i've learned here and other research saltwater wet sand and surf, you def need a pi machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread