mattyshore

Jul 16, 2013
Westbury, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

I am heading down to Cape Henlopen tomorrow. I have studied the rules of Delaware when it comes to metal detecting and I carry a copy with me when ever I am out alone with emailed and written premissions when I hunt. My question is, That I have heard and read that they wont allow you to metal detect the beach at this area until after the lifeguards are done for the day which is 5pm. Yet NO WHERE in the rules by the Delaware State parks and what was sent to me state that at all. I have written to ALL the beach communities in Delaware and not a single one ever mentioned that to me. I was told specifically that I was allowed to detect during open hours of the beach and east of the dune line. Does anyone think its really going to be a problem on a Wednesday morning? I have been in Delaware two years now and detecting for about 6 months and I find Delaware to be somewhat difficult to deal with. In New York where I am from, they prety much love metal detectors and have soooo many places to detect for free. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
We where just joking. We would never go asking permission. I always ask for forgiveness.

ah, thanx for clarifying. Hard to tell if such things along these lines are a joke or not on md'ing forums. Because there are people who would say that is the best thing to do: Go ask an archie. Or ... well, perhaps not an "archie", but ironically, when the question gets put on the desk of various bureaucrats, and he has to decide who's job/department it is to address such a thing, that IS the direction the queery is passed along to. Afterall, it does seem fitting (afterall, you *might* find something old). So in essence, a lot of times, you are simply asking archies by default, as that's who's desk it sometimes seems to end up on. And we all know their opinion of us.

Kinda like asking a PETA rep "can I leave my pet bunny in the car while I run into the store for a minute?" Of course they will screech no, and tell you of all the laws you can be guilty of violating. But what did you expect to come from an animal rights wacko? In the same way, it's hard for me to take some archies seriously. But sadly, since they're on the govt. payrolls, when they make something official (in answer to the "pressing questions" that come across their desk), then ... sure, it eventually DOES become law :(

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY!!! I am still new to all this! I look at it this way, I like to be informed of what I am doing, making sure there are no violations and possible fines I could get. I know there is absolutely no MDing inside Gettysburg. But as far as the beach is, I don't have a clue, seriously. Just trying to get info before I get down there, that's all.

tabjunkie

Greenie
Aug 22, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,at pro,ace250
Im from Dover & travel to the beach alot. There are only a few rules to abide by & I have never had any trouble in the several years of beach hunting. 1. You are only allowed to hunt East of the dunes. 2. Stay clear of the dunes(signs posted) 3.It is illegal to disturb or remove any bones or human remains which may have been unearthed. Thats about it. Cape Henlopen does close off areas of the beach during Plover nesting season which I think has passed for the year. Also stay clear of any ordinance artifacts you may dig up. They may still be live.
Happy Hunting.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
HEY!!! I am still new to all this! I look at it this way, I like to be informed of what I am doing, making sure there are no violations and possible fines I could get. I know there is absolutely no MDing inside Gettysburg. But as far as the beach is, I don't have a clue, seriously. Just trying to get info before I get down there, that's all.

Then if that's the case ,
you can look up any potential laws, rules, codes , etc... for yourself .

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to the Delaware State Park frequently Never a problem. Don't hunt in the dunes, that's about it. Right now there is a ton of new sand, so old stuff would be nearly impossible to get to.

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then if that's the case ,
you can look up any potential laws, rules, codes , etc... for yourself .

Relax tommy! Any information from you is no longer taken serious! ;)

About the dunes, yeah I know about them from all the years going down that way. Beside they have them fenced in. Not that it would stop ole tommy boy here! He would just go right in them because it certainly says nothing about MDing them! Oh it says no trespassing! But absolutely nothing about MDing! So he is good to go here on the east coast! LOL!!!

Last edited:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know we had so many ppl from Delmarva here on the site. Be nice to make up our own group and bounce ideas, pass info or get together on a hunt.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relax tommy! Any information from you is no longer taken serious! ;)

About the dunes, yeah I know about them from all the years going down that way. Beside they have them fenced in. Not that it would stop ole tommy boy here! He would just go right in them because it certainly says nothing about MDing them! Oh it says no trespassing! But absolutely nothing about MDing! So he is good to go here on the east coast! LOL!!!

Gentleman, please end the implied insults...Thankyou

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread