Status
Not open for further replies.

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished reading How To Read The Beach & Water by fellow T-net member Gary T. Drayton.
In my opinion, this book is excellent! The increase in knowledge,silver and gold finds I've made from applying what I read in two of his previous books made me get this latest book. In my opinion, it is hands down the best book on beach reading I've read. Well done Gary! You did a stellar job on this book!
I'm excited to see what kind of results I'll have in my future hunts from applying some of the principles I learned in this book. I have been beach and water hunting for the last 3-4 years, and I've had some good results, but I know there is a lot of room for improvement. I had some light bulb flashing moments while reading this book, that just really got me to look at what I'm doing right, what I'm doing wrong and how to get out of certain habits and be a smarter treasure hunter.

Upvote 0

Sand Gnat

Jul 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett A/T Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Stealth Classic
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just finished reading Gary's new book just over a week ago and it has already has made a difference in my finds. Just this last week I found 2 gold rings by hunting in areas that I found by using his beach and water reading techniques. After reading "How To Read The Beach and Water", I found many flaws in the way I hunt. Gary's "Tips" and "What not to do's" really hit home. This was my 3rd book by Gary T. Drayton that I have read and look forward to reading more.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I own two of his books, an will get this one soon. Both those books have helped me find lots of gold this year, and my gold coin. lol. hh an gl -Joe

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Here is a quote from his blog

"When I want to search where another beach or water hunter is already searching, I always try to trick them into moving.
The more the other hunter is watching you, the easier it is to trick them into moving.
Try scooping several imaginary targets on the beach or in the water, pretend that you are looking at something good before putting the fake find away.
Do this several more times until you really know that you have the other person hooked.
I sometimes help to sell the trick by letting out a loud YES!
Walk away from the area and past the other hunter but do not dig anything, even if you get a signal.
Nine times out of ten the other person will move towards the pretend hot spot, that is your cue to go directly to the good area that has now been given up by the person you just hooked.
Dont be afraid to drop a few "anchor finds" such as nickels or pull tabs to keep them interested and in place until you have firmly established that you are not giving up the spot."

I would never buy a book from someone who would drop trash targets to screw up other hunters. We had some hunters up here through trash targets all over some areas to hurt the guys with PI machines. Just not my style. He is always bragging about how he hunts in armies of hunters and finds every thing when they find nothing. If he would screw these guys why would he help you.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a quote from his blog

"When I want to search where another beach or water hunter is already searching, I always try to trick them into moving.
The more the other hunter is watching you, the easier it is to trick them into moving.
Try scooping several imaginary targets on the beach or in the water, pretend that you are looking at something good before putting the fake find away.
Do this several more times until you really know that you have the other person hooked.
I sometimes help to sell the trick by letting out a loud YES!
Walk away from the area and past the other hunter but do not dig anything, even if you get a signal.
Nine times out of ten the other person will move towards the pretend hot spot, that is your cue to go directly to the good area that has now been given up by the person you just hooked.
Dont be afraid to drop a few "anchor finds" such as nickels or pull tabs to keep them interested and in place until you have firmly established that you are not giving up the spot."

I would never buy a book from someone who would drop trash targets to screw up other hunters. We had some hunters up here through trash targets all over some areas to hurt the guys with PI machines. Just not my style. He is always bragging about how he hunts in armies of hunters and finds every thing when they find nothing. If he would screw these guys why would he help you.
WTH?...that's really in his book?...say it aint so.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just guessing those are his publishers posting

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
getcha some

OP
OP
S

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I'm just someone who got results from implementing some things I learned from his books. There is a lot of value in them, and I thought I would share my experience with the forum. Unfortunately, any time someone writes something positive about another person's work, there are plenty of negative or questioning posts that follow. I have read other books from authors that I found to be a complete waste of money and time. I just happened to think it was worthy of mentioning on the forum for those who don't happen to crap on everything Gary does.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
No, I'm just someone who got results from implementing some things I learned from his books. There is a lot of value in them, and I thought I would share my experience with the forum. Unfortunately, any time someone writes something positive about another person's work, there are plenty of negative or questioning posts that follow. I have read other books from authors that I found to be a complete waste of money and time. I just happened to think it was worthy of mentioning on the forum for those who don't happen to crap on everything Gary does.

I am not crapping on what he does. All I am saying is any who gives advise to place nickels and pull tabs in the ground to screw other hunters is not someone to support. How would you like it if you went on vacation and got caught up in one of Gary's traps of junk? We are here to help one another not to mislead and deceive each other. Placing junk targets to make others waist there time and keep them out of good areas is the lowest form of a hunter I can think of. Then to photo and show your finds and brag about how you where the only one to find something with and army of hunters around. If you want to support this type of activity that's up to you. Gary lives in the area of the three most crowed beaches in the world. Where people wear jewelry and swim more then any other area. To live in that area and still need to place junk targets is a not what a good hunter does IMHO to his fellow hunters.

Last edited:

Gary Drayton

Dec 28, 2007
Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its time to stop the nonsense MBeachrat & Lookindown, you guys obviously had a hard time holding your total disregard for me any longer after seeing an honest thread from Steve about my new book. You hijacked the thread into a bash Gary Drayton thread, maybe I should cut and paste some of your snide comments you guys post that are obviously directed at me whenever there is a CTX 3030 thread. I can deal with guys like you, I find the best way is to keep making great finds and keep posting them as I know it really upsets you. When I post it is "bragging" but when other people post it is just a post, other people can use Excaliburs but if I use another metal detector it is a scandal. My blog clearly states "Practical and tactical beach and shallow water hunting advice" the tactical is once in a blue moon and in a detecting crowd, dropping the odd nickel or pull tab to slow the competition when you have 5 or 6 guys breathing down your neck in the one area. Ready to just jump straight in front of you not bat an eye lid, plus not filling holes, leaving trash around dug holes you name it! I had to leave the beach several years ago after a guy told me his hunting buddy had gone back to his van to get his gun to shoot me, I have been threatened with violence and seen some pretty outrageous stuff happen down this way.
Again I repeat this was supposed to be a complimentary thread from a couple of innocent guys saying they enjoyed reading my book.
It is time to put your big boy pants on MBeachRAT and Lookindown and if you really want to impress me, try coming down this way and find good finds on a regular basis on some of the most heavily hunted beaches in the world.
Regards Gary

Last edited:

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
It came out of your blog, don't try to make it seem like it is not a low down thing to do. I never put you down til I read this. I had many reasons to believe you are full of it like many many others believe. But now it is known what you do and the advise you give to others. Most of the hunters would never do anything like that. We had scumbags through trash around up here before it is not in anyone's best interest except for the scumbags.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
"Practical and tactical beach and shallow water hunting advice" the tactical is once in a blue moon and in a detecting crowd, dropping the odd nickel or pull tab to slow the competition when you have 5 or 6 guys breathing down your neck in the one area. Ready to just jump straight in front of you not bat an eye lid, plus not filling holes, leaving trash around dug holes you name it!
It is time to put your big boy pants on MBeachRAT and Lookindown and if you really want to impress me, try coming down this way and find good finds on a regular basis on some of the most heavily hunted beaches in the world.
Regards Gary

Gary old boy think! Don't get caught up more. You say that 5 or 6 guys breathing down your neck but on your blog you say "When I want to search where another beach or water hunter is already searching, I always try to trick them into moving. The more the other hunter is watching you, the easier it is to trick them into moving."
Seem like your breathing down their neck. Please stop trashing our beaches.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
ForumRunner_20130804_164446.png

Arrrrrrrr musket balls

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its time to stop the nonsense MBeachrat & Lookindown, you guys obviously had a hard time holding your total disregard for me any longer after seeing an honest thread from Steve about my new book. You hijacked the thread into a bash Gary Drayton thread, maybe I should cut and paste some of your snide comments you guys post that are obviously directed at me whenever there is a CTX 3030 thread. I can deal with guys like you, I find the best way is to keep making great finds and keep posting them as I know it really upsets you. When I post it is "bragging" but when other people post it is just a post, other people can use Excaliburs but if I use another metal detector it is a scandal. My blog clearly states "Practical and tactical beach and shallow water hunting advice" the tactical is once in a blue moon and in a detecting crowd, dropping the odd nickel or pull tab to slow the competition when you have 5 or 6 guys breathing down your neck in the one area. Ready to just jump straight in front of you not bat an eye lid, plus not filling holes, leaving trash around dug holes you name it! I had to leave the beach several years ago after a guy told me his hunting buddy had gone back to his van to get his gun to shoot me, I have been threatened with violence and seen some pretty outrageous stuff happen down happening down this way.
Again I repeat this was supposed to be a complimentary thread from a couple of innocent guys saying they enjoyed reading my book.
Regards Gary
Your finds could never upset me but what you wrote in that blog does...You admit to having altercations with people at the beach, so you must be doing something out there that most of us don't...we don't have people threating to shoot us. I made a vow to myself to leave you alone but what you wrote in that blog is wrong and I will say its wrong. I wont say anything negative about your finds. Telling people to throw stuff on the beach to cause a diversion is wrong and horrible advice. Instead of apologizing, you come on and try to justify it...your the only person Ive ever heard of that thinks what you are doing is OK.

OP
OP
S

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to say thank you to the people that took a thread that I started about a book that was of help to me and other people, for turning it into another of the many lets bash Gary Drayton threads. Don't you guys ever get sick of whining and complaining? If you had something to say regarding the book it's one thing, or actually had something valuable to add it would have been nice. I'm glad to see that a few other people took the time to recognize that reading his books were helpful and resulted in better finds for them. When you take the time to go and intentionally sabotage a thread and detract from the purpose of that thread because of spite, jealousy or hatred you have for another person it reflects poorly on you. People need to grow up. If you're not finding much don't blame anyone but yourselves. If you're too busy posting on forums and not going out detecting whose fault is that? I'm just tired of reading all the negativity. Anytime this guy's name is mentioned, people go crazy and jump on the let's bash Gary bandwagon. Other people's success can bring out the worst in those that don't have any, or it can be a motivator to do better. I'm thankful for any opportunity I have to get better. There are so many great treasure hunters out there that I can learn from and be inspired by. Gary's books, blog entries and finds do that for me. If they don't for you, that's okay.
Find someone that does.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to say thank you to the people that took a thread that I started about a book that was of help to me and other people, for turning it into another of the many lets bash Gary Drayton threads. Don't you guys ever get sick of whining and complaining? If you had something to say regarding the book it's one thing, or actually had something valuable to add it would have been nice. I'm glad to see that a few other people took the time to recognize that reading his books were helpful and resulted in better finds for them. When you take the time to go and intentionally sabotage a thread and detract from the purpose of that thread because of spite, jealousy or hatred you have for another person it reflects poorly on you. People need to grow up. If you're not finding much don't blame anyone but yourselves. If you're too busy posting on forums and not going out detecting whose fault is that? I'm just tired of reading all the negativity. Anytime this guy's name is mentioned, people go crazy and jump on the let's bash Gary bandwagon. Other people's success can bring out the worst in those that don't have any, or it can be a motivator to do better. I'm thankful for any opportunity I have to get better. There are so many great treasure hunters out there that I can learn from and be inspired by. Gary's books, blog entries and finds do that for me. If they don't for you, that's okay.
Find someone that does.
If your talking to me, I don't have any spite, jealousy or hatred toward Gary...I don't even know him, just what he admitted to writing in his blog...So you think seeding the beach for other hunters is OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread