Jul 1, 2013
fennville,MI
Detector(s) used
garret atpro
propointer
sampson 18" digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the led clip on and have no probs seeing the ground while standing and IM 6'.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TreasureNet

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think is very comfortable to hunt at night. Fewer people and no sunshine.
Easy or hard is depend on the target I think.
By the way, the ace series will beep when the coil touch the salt water.

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with above, the beach is wide open at night and cooler temps. I use the head band light.

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't wear a hat at night I wear a Petzl headlamp, night hunts beats the heat and the people

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How hard is it to night hunt the dry sand on the beach, i have some led lights that clip on a hat, is it easy to too the shiny stuff in the scoops? I use plastic scoops that i made so maybe it would be easier to see them?

Dale: It is better to wear a headlamp(s) at night as the brim of a hat will restrict your field of vision.
It is easy to see shiny stuff lying on top of the sand on full moon nights. When, the moon is full I usually detect in the stealth mode and only turn on the headlamps t when I am having difficulty recovering an item.
When I need light I prefer to hunt with the two red light emitting diodes (LED) on to retain my night peripheral vision.
If I am blinded by someone’s light in my face I switch to and remain in flood light mode (all white LEDs) on for maximum light.
It is easy to see shiny objects in your scoop using either red led or white led light.
You can easily get disoriented and even lost at night, unless you know the area you are hunting well since it is difficult to see distant objects.
It is more difficult to fill your holes under the lower light conditions as they are harder to the see, especially if you walk to the water to sift the sand from your scoop. I often have to follow my tracks back to find the open hole to fill it...
As night time, can be crime time I take precautions – hunt with a buddy(s), or when hunting alone, I prefer resorts which have security over public beach which can get spooky. I carry ID and introduce myself to the guards and inform them where I will be hunting. In Hawaii, all beach is for public use and they cannot restrict you along the shore line.

There are a lot of advantages to night hunting and it is well worth the effort to develop the different skill sets needed.. If you are hunting into the evening it extends your hunting time. You can also hunt before day break to extend your hunting time. Also, there are many places that you cannot effectively hunt during the day.

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am big fan of Petzl also.
You might think about the NAO of Petzl. The RR of headlamp.:occasion14:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardest Part is making sure you don't get locked in LOL.
Night Hunting is the best no one usually bugs you.

OP
OP
dale3fan28

dale3fan28

Jul 15, 2013
Lake Charles, La
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO & Ace 250, ProPointer
Hardest Part is making sure you don't get locked in LOL.
Night Hunting is the best no one usually bugs you.

............except the BUGS......I'm in south Louisiana, we got skeeters the size of buzzards here at times,lol

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dale: It is better to wear a headlamp(s) at night as the brim of a hat will restrict your field of vision.
It is easy to see shiny stuff lying on top of the sand on full moon nights. When, the moon is full I usually detect in the stealth mode and only turn on the headlamps t when I am having difficulty recovering an item.
When I need light I prefer to hunt with the two red light emitting diodes (LED) on to retain my night peripheral vision.
If I am blinded by someone’s light in my face I switch to and remain in flood light mode (all white LEDs) on for maximum light.
It is easy to see shiny objects in your scoop using either red led or white led light.
You can easily get disoriented and even lost at night, unless you know the area you are hunting well since it is difficult to see distant objects.
It is more difficult to fill your holes under the lower light conditions as they are harder to the see, especially if you walk to the water to sift the sand from your scoop. I often have to follow my tracks back to find the open hole to fill it...
As night time, can be crime time I take precautions – hunt with a buddy(s), or when hunting alone, I prefer resorts which have security over public beach which can get spooky. I carry ID and introduce myself to the guards and inform them where I will be hunting. In Hawaii, all beach is for public use and they cannot restrict you along the shore line.

There are a lot of advantages to night hunting and it is well worth the effort to develop the different skill sets needed.. If you are hunting into the evening it extends your hunting time. You can also hunt before day break to extend your hunting time. Also, there are many places that you cannot effectively hunt during the day.

This is an excellent summary of the issues, and pros and cons, of night beach
hunting. I'll add a couple of minor points.

I prefer to wear a cap with a clip-on light on the brim. I find the headband-type
of light makes my head sweat more and gets uncomfortable after a while. However,
I DO like the red LED light on the headband. I have only found bright white lights
in the clip-on type of light. If anyone knows of a red one, I'd like to hear about it.

In the dry sand, I find that I rarely need to turn on the light, especially if there's
a decent moon to provide a little light. I'm willing to wait until I get home to
examine my finds closely, rather than turn on the light for each one. BUT, I
usually hunt in beach areas that have some nearby lights from streetlights,
parking lots, etc., so I'm not hunting in total darkness. And, yes, when I
encounter a small object that keeps falling through the holes in my scoop,
I turn on the light to help me find it. That's also the only time I use
my Pro-Pointer on the beach, by the way.

If I'm hunting wet sand, I turn on my clip-on light each time I dump a
scoop of wet sand on the beach. It's too hard to pick out the target
in a pile of wet sand at night without the light. For me, anyway.

--Tom

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I'm getting older I find that hunting at night has become difficult for me, eyes just have adjusting from light to darkness these days. If I'm not planning on water hunting - I went to the supply store and purchased a couple of conduit clamps/struts, (they type that allow you to clamp two runs of 1/2" conduit together) - with these I use two nylon bolts with wing nuts so I can quickly and easily clamp one of those small push button LED lights to my detector shaft just below the grip. Whenever I dump a load onto the wet sand I just push the button on the end of the light so I can see while I'm sweeping the pile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread