Anyone used this scoop before? Is it any good?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
If your in the USA I would say no, Not local. Only one I would purchase out of the states would be Stavr's and his are cheaper.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with a T-Rex or RTG scoop.

OP
OP
F

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi OBN, do you have any links to stavr and which scoop would fit my 'handy' requirement? I don't want another stealth-scoop-sized scoop... I need something much lighter I guess

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For dry sand or wet where waves can wash out the sand, use something like this. Buy Sand Scoops, Beach Scoops, Moose Scoops, Water Scoops, Sand Sifter

Beachmaster.JPG Not as good as a Stealth but lighter and they hold up well.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
I got one of these from a local detector guy named Larry that is selling them for Howie that makes them in his shop. Very light and strong.

It was on eBay, but here's the Craig's list link that I originally found it on Metal Detecting Beach/Sand Scoop, Light, Strong Alloy

Howies sand scoop.jpg

Last edited:

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limited Beach Experience. Dry sand only-so far. They make some decent scoops. I have the Sven version that I will be adding some re enforcement to before use. I like the fine holes in the back part on the one you pictured. Looks like it would be a great dry sand scoop.
For a lighter alternative I like that al scoop that is shown above.

OP
OP
F

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
OP
OP
F

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
This looks very good... I wonder if he will ship international... crossing my fingers!

click on the reply link he will respond. It was a day and a half for me but he will respond.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks very good... I wonder if he will ship international... crossing my fingers!
That scoop is aluminum and if you pry on something with that pointed tip it will bend. That's why they don't make pointed tip aluminum scoops. It will work great as long as you don't pry anything with it. From experience, you will come across things you need to pry on. At the bottom of that add it gives a warning about not prying with it.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he's local and you don't plan on being in any rocks go for it. I'm thinking along the lines of Lookingdown you will run across rocks or objects and with the adrenaline pumping because of that good signal, you could bend that tip easily.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Hi MiamiFox, how's your experience with the scoop thus far? Is it weak as what some of the posters had mentioned above?

I understand aluminum is softer than stainless but I don't have anything to compare it with because I'm new at this and wanted something light to carry around. It is well made. He did tell me not to use it as a pry tool but I've been abusing it and really digging deep with it in beach sand and in the water with no bending. I have hit some hard things and rocks but I know to just take it slow. I'm going to put a D handle on it the kind that is on regular shovels. It would be nice if there was one made of plastic but I don't think they would hold up.

OP
OP
F

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
I understand aluminum is softer than stainless but I don't have anything to compare it with because I'm new at this and wanted something light to carry around. It is well made. He did tell me not to use it as a pry tool but I've been abusing it and really digging deep with it in beach sand and in the water with no bending. I have hit some hard things and rocks but I know to just take it slow. I'm going to put a D handle on it the kind that is on regular shovels. It would be nice if there was one made of plastic but I don't think they would hold up.

I'm not familiar with the aircraft aluminum alloy that he's pitching about... I wonder if its really much strong than regular aluminum.
I've been using the stealth since my lightweight 'drain scoop' which cost less than USD3 a piece had failed me after 8 hunts in the dry and wet sand.

Attachments

• image-1051632859.jpg
    image-1051632859.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 112
Jul 21, 2013
I need a good handy scoop for handy work on dry sand and wet water edge sand.
I already have stealth scoop but I find it more suitable for use in water... Hence considering a smaller handy one

Anyone using this one? http://bit.ly/XvBoLZ

Care to comment?

I have the "Howie" scoop mentioned down below. Big strong. Not too heavy. I have a round alum scoop as well. Get one with a long handle. Less time on your knees or bending over.

iwhitley

May 3, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer, Trex Sand scoop, Piranha Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Trex and so far so good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions