Sand Shark update, and now a dilemma.....

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Sand Shark problem has been fixed. in a round about way I ended up with a brand new in the box latest version of the Sand Shark. I have rusty to thank for this as he went out of his way and got me out of my old one without involving the Tesoro factory. Long story short I have a new one.

Now the dilemma: I had so many problems with my last machine that it made 5 trips back to fix many of the same problems over and over. Now I have this shiny brandy new one and I really don't want to take it out of it's box. I'm afraid I'll end up in the same boat. I like the Sand Shark, but if this one takes a crap I can't imagine going through this all over again.

1) Should I sell it and get some other detector?
My primary machine is the CZ21 and the sand shark was my backup. I would want another water machine.

2) Keep it, use it and hope for the best and deal with it if and when it craps out on me?

DC/HH

Upvote 0

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd give it a chance and try. You might be surprised and happy with this one. Good Luck

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Garrett EUROACE, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
if ur selling it am interesting.
seriously.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it's new and still in the box, maybe you could find a Tnet sponsor/dealer who would let you apply in a trade up for a backup CZ since you seem to be very happy with that machine. Just a thought. :dontknow:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you should sell it to someone who will want to use it as their primary machine, and get yourself whatever makes you the happiest. Kudos to Rusty Henry and Tesoro, for taking care of their customers like no other manufacturer in the world!

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You seem really happy with the CZ, I would sell and get another as a back up!

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a used Dual Field for around $500.00 or a used HHPI for around $400.00

If you are in a low trash area, that CZ 21 might become a backup to either of those two. Don't get me wrong, the CZ 21 is a great detector...but the Dual Field and HHPI can realistically punch down to 15-16 inches in the wet salt on an 7gm 14kt band. The Infinum is a good unit as well, but lags a little behind those two in the raw depth department...but it is more versatile with coil choices and a real ability to be used as a prospecting unit.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Sand Shark problem has been fixed. in a round about way I ended up with a brand new in the box latest version of the Sand Shark. I have rusty to thank for this as he went out of his way and got me out of my old one without involving the Tesoro factory. Long story short I have a new one.

Now the dilemma: I had so many problems with my last machine that it made 5 trips back to fix many of the same problems over and over. Now I have this shiny brandy new one and I really don't want to take it out of it's box. I'm afraid I'll end up in the same boat. I like the Sand Shark, but if this one takes a crap I can't imagine going through this all over again.

1) Should I sell it and get some other detector?
My primary machine is the CZ21 and the sand shark was my backup. I would want another water machine.

2) Keep it, use it and hope for the best and deal with it if and when it craps out on me?

DC/HH

dc426: You do not have a dilemma as you never had a back up!
You have two alternatives for shallow water hunting: A multi frequency VLF metal detector and Pulse Induction (PI) metal detector. Each alternative has different capabilities.

The CZ21 was your primary metal detector as it is most likely best (can discriminate targets, fast sweep speed) for your style of hunting. To have a true back up, you should have another CZ21 so that you do not lose any capability when you need to send one of these detectors in for repair.
You should hunt with the weakest detector, so that when it fails you will default to strength.

Or you could use two different multi frequency detectors such as a CZ21 with a ten inch coil and a Minilab 800 with an eight inch coil for greater flexibility.
Again: These would not be true backups, but you would gain flexibility and they both discriminate, but there may be a large learning curve.

Unless I needed a PI detector for greater depth and was willing to dig more targets:
I would sell the new sand shark (latest version). Even though you had problems with an earlier model the Sand Shark, it is a reliable and proven PI detector.
I would really need a great deal before I would purchase this detector used as it's life time warranty cannot be transferred.

If a PI met my requirements, I would purchase another Sand Shark as a back up for it.
As I like flexibility one would have an 8 inch coil and the other would have a 10 inch coil. If I wanted a true back up both would have 8 inch coils, which I prefer
as they are easier to handle in the surf.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if ur selling it am interesting.
seriously.

Only charter members can sell here so to sell it here he would have to become a charter member....

gobble-gobble

Sep 7, 2012
North Port , Florida
Detector(s) used
own, excal 1000, excal. II , explorer II, Fisher CZ21, Vibra-Tector

Sold-BHID (2), DetecorPro-PI, Fisher CZ 2o, Fisher1280, Sovereign & many other minelabs & whites detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said you liked it, so go for it. If for any reason something should happen again, send it back

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have two alternatives for shallow water hunting: A multi frequency VLF metal detector and Pulse Induction (PI) metal detector. Each alternative has different capabilities.

The CZ21 was your primary metal detector as it is most likely best (can discriminate targets, fast sweep speed) for your style of hunting. To have a true back up, you should have another CZ21 so that you do not lose any capability when you need to send one of these detectors in for repair.
You should hunt with the weakest detector, so that when it fails you will default to strength.

Or you could use two different multi frequency detectors such as a CZ21 with a ten inch coil and a Minilab 800 with an eight inch coil for greater flexibility.
Again: These would not be true backups, but you would gain flexibility and they both discriminate, but there may be a large learning curve.

Unless I needed a PI detector for greater depth and was willing to dig more targets:
I would sell the new sand shark (latest version). Even though you had problems with an earlier model the Sand Shark, it is a reliable and proven PI detector.
I would really need a great deal before I would purchase this detector used as it's life time warranty cannot be transferred.

If a PI met my requirements, I would purchase another Sand Shark as a back up for it.
As I like flexibility one would have an 8 inch coil and the other would have a 10 inch coil. If I wanted a true back up both would have 8 inch coils, which I prefer

I couldn't have improved on what Sir Gala Clad said. I would keep the Sand Shark as it is a new machine and the problems with the older one are just nightmares. All machines have their Lemon's but the Tesoro line has the fewest. That is why they can offer the Lifetime Warranty.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love this quote:
"You should hunt with the weakest detector, so that when it fails you will default to strength." ???

In other words, if I am a coinshooter and I have an Explorer and a Bounty Hunter, the Bounty Hunter should be my primary detector so that I can fall back on the Explorer should my Bounty Hunter fail. ???

The OP had the right idea from the beginning...having a PI as a backup to your dual frequency VLF is a great idea. Just get the right PI.

If you take your CZ 21 and the Sand Shark to the beach in Largo and do some testing with a few different 14kt gold targets, you may be surprised at the results. I would wager that your CZ 21 will detect deeper than the Sand Shark on an "average" 14kt gold ring.
I have never detected the Largo area beaches, but I am assuming they have relatively low mineralization. This may sound like blasphemy to some people, but PI detectors are not always deeper than VLF's...especially on low conductors and especially PI machines which have fixed pulse delays in the 20-22us range. If you get a PI that can be tuned down to the 10-15us range...then the story changes. Don't be fooled by digging really deep high conductive targets and assuming you will get the same results with low conductors.
I am assuming you are a shallow water/ wet sand hunter...if we start talking about detecting in deeper salt water, things change as the increase in mineralization introduced by the overhead salt water will really reduce the effectiveness of your VLF and give the edge to the PI...and PI's with fixed pulse delays in the 20-22us range are designed to be used as diving units. They are designed to be used in deep water. And because of this, they are not as sensitive to low conductors...they can't be.

You have a top notch waterproof dual frequency VLF. Adding a top notch waterproof PI to your arsenal, one that can be tuned down to the 10-15us range, will make you a "very dangerous person". It is a great combination for a water hunter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dc426

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jolly3545481 said:
I l"ve this quote:
"You should hunt with the weakest detector, so that when it fails you will default to strength." ???

In other words, if I am a coinshooter and I have an Explorer and a Bounty Hunter, the Bounty Hunter should be my primary detector so that I can fall back on the Explorer should my Bounty Hunter fail. ???

The OP had the right idea from the beginning...having a PI as a backup to your dual frequency VLF is a great idea. Just get the right PI.

If you take your CZ 21 and the Sand Shark to the beach in Largo and do some testing with a few different 14kt gold targets, you may be surprised at the results. I would wager that your CZ 21 will detect deeper than the Sand Shark on an "average" 14kt gold ring.
I have never detected the Largo area beaches, but I am assuming they have relatively low mineralization. This may sound like blasphemy to some people, but PI detectors are not always deeper than VLF's...especially on low conductors and especially PI machines which have fixed pulse delays in the 20-22us range. If you get a PI that can be tuned down to the 10-15us range...then the story changes. Don't be fooled by digging really deep high conductive targets and assuming you will get the same results with low conductors.
I am assuming you are a shallow water/ wet sand hunter...if we start talking about detecting in deeper salt water, things change as the increase in mineralization introduced by the overhead salt water will really reduce the effectiveness of your VLF and give the edge to the PI...and PI's with fixed pulse delays in the 20-22us range are designed to be used as diving units. They are designed to be used in deep water. And because of this, they are not as sensitive to low conductors...they can't be.

You have a top notch waterproof dual frequency VLF. Adding a top notch waterproof PI to your arsenal, one that can be tuned down to the 10-15us range, will make you a "very dangerous person". It is a great combination for a water hunter.

What do you consider a top notch PI machine?

Last edited:

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
What exactly was the SS dilemma? Didn't see it in the thread..

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
20 new Buicks
20 new Blenders
3 new Wive's
20 new Stereos
20 new Detectors

It doesn't matter. Every now and then one out of the pack just doesn't work correctly.

The original SS had it's issues. All the odds are now in your favor that this machine will work flawlessly.

Tesoro gives a LIFETIME warranty for a reason, and they stand by it. That's gotta say something~

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you consider a top notch PI machine?

Perhaps I should have used a different phrase...it is really less about being "top notch" than about buying a detector designed for the purpose you are intending to use it.
I have several PI detectors. IMHO my most "top notch" unit is my Aquapulse 1a. If you were to buy the latest version, it would set you back nearly $2000.00 US, I believe. But guess what? Even though I love it and it is an incredibly well built piece of equipment...It stinks as a wet sand/ shallow water jewelry detector. That's not what it is designed for. Ditto for the JW Fisher Pulse 8x which will cost you $1,800 or so. Great machine. built like a tank. It also stinks as a wet sand/ shallow water jewelry machine. Neither of these machines can be tuned down to a range where smaller gold items will be detectable at great depths. They are fantastic on high conductors and incredibly deep on larger items, though. The Garrett Sea Hunter and Tesoro Sand Shark are two other machines designed primarily as diving detectors...high pulse delay...good for use in deeper salt water...sensitivity lacking for shallow water/ wet sand...at least compared to the heavyweight jewelry machines.

I strongly suggest you visit the Pulse Technology forum of Geotech forums. I hope I am not going to get in trouble with the Moderators for suggesting this. But some of the real authorities on PI technology post there...guys like Eric Foster and Mr. Bill, etc. These guys know what they are talking about. You should take their advice, not mine.

I will say that for raw depth, shallow water/wet sand jewelry machines ( there is more to a metal detector than raw depth), the best "mass-produced" waterproof PI's made today are the White's Dual Field, the Detectorpro Headhunter Pulse and the Garrett Infinium. The DF and the HHPI are almost identical in depth performance. The Infinum lags slightly behind in raw depth in the salt water environment but has greater versatility with more coil options and the ability to be used as a viable prospecting unit. You cannot go wrong with either of these units.

Idigack

Aug 18, 2012
ACK
Detector(s) used
excal11 10 inch coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
once bitten,,,twice shy......find some gold that's what its for....so many people buy detectors and they use um once...end up in a closet..id say 90%...prove me wrong....HH ......DAVE

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Confidence".....it goes a long way. Whatever you decide I'd not forget the value that confidence plays in the scheme of things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread