How many hours do you.....

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Trying to do 3-4 but the missus won't be too happy. With a beach within 5mins of driving, maybe I should manage an average of 2hrs. The real question for me is "how many hunts a week?"

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends. Right now husband is hunting alone (I sit in the car or on the beach) because of my recent knee replacement surgery, so he is averaging 4-5 hours per hunt. When I was hunting with him, we averaged 8 hours each per hunt.

Anita

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Never enough. If I could I'd be out every day, I'm hooked !!!

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
4 - 5 hours per hunt, not normally more than 7 nor less than at least 3. My body usually tells me that 7 hours is pushing the limit.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
6-7 hours average dependant on the swing arm and conditions. If the body says ok, and the targets are good, I do go longer, especially if I'm having a day or so scheduled off from hunting....

Cliff

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
4-6 hours depending on the pain in the joints. Advil before hunting does help, but it can cause a rash from photosensitivity.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this sounds a bit backwards, but on account of all the soft sand buildup, June, July & August.....the absolute worst months to be on the beach here, so most hunts are short, 3-4hr low tide affairs. The issue here isn't just the sand, but it's also the tide changes that tend to stir all the soft sand and everything in it sending just about anything heavy straight down.....so it's strictly a very recent drop period from the mid-beach down. I use to go all day long just about every day in the summer but the results weren't any better then I'm doing now with the shorter hunts and far less hunts. These beaches are very tough in the summer despite the increase in traffic.

Jim_W

Greenie
Aug 21, 2013
Lewes De
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI dual field
Primary Interest:
I am very new to this but so far between 2 and 3 hours I like to go early at day break but have to be working at 9 after work about the same 6 till dark unless the bugs run me off the beach.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
I hunt daily and I like a comfortable limit of 2 hours. Occasionally I push it to 3 hours and during good times perhaps do a morning then afternoon hunt.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9 to 10 hours in the water... 95 miles one way to the beach, I only get to go once a week and I get my moneys worth.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually try to hunt anywhere from 4 to 7 hours in the water. By the time I load the car, drive to the beach, find my parking place, get in the water, hunting is the easy part! :laughing7:

It's the coming home, washing the cat, the boots, the wetsuit (if used), then getting myself washed off and cleaned.... I used to do it 5 or 6 days a week. I'm doing a few other things atm, so I haven't been out much.
I'm looking at a condo down at the beach, if that comes through, I may be tekkering sun up to sun down, soon! :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually try to hunt anywhere from 4 to 7 hours in the water. By the time I load the car, drive to the beach, find my parking place, get in the water, hunting is the easy part! :laughing7:

It's the coming home, washing the cat, the boots, the wetsuit (if used), then getting myself washed off and cleaned.... I used to do it 5 or 6 days a week. I'm doing a few other things atm, so I haven't been out much.
I'm looking at a condo down at the beach, if that comes through, I may be tekkering sun up to sun down, soon! :laughing7:

Is there a rental room in that condo? :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a rental room in that condo? :laughing7:
By all means dear!
I'm just a poor little ole white girl (I think), with no job, how else I gonna get that thing paid for! :laughing7:

bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 to 6 hours ten years ago I used to go from sun up till sundown

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I used to hunt 6-8 hours. Now, the finds are slim and my body has reset it's number of dry holes it can dig here in this Texas soil(cement.) Now the the trend seems to be finding less than a buck of clad in several hours, and maybe one semi interesting relic. If I ain't finding some kind of treasure every 10 minutes or so, the holes get harder to dig for some reason.

I miss the old days when the allure and the finds per minute were good. Competition whittled that down so I spend less time trying these days. It will get better once Texas gets some REAL rainfall. These dry summers are getting really old. martin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions