How do u prevent hand blisters when using scoop?

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi people,

I'm not sure if this has been discussed... But I'm having a lot of blisters and soreness from using my stealth 720i.
Before you start thinking its all due to weight.. I've also been using a v v lightweight aluminum drain scoop with the same blister problem after 3-4 hours of hunting at the beach.
I thought its a glove issue and had tried many but even thick ones didn't help. In fact, with the thick ones, I lost a useful hand to pick up the items on the ground...

Does anyone have the same problem? How do you solve this?

Upvote 0

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear mechanics gloves and they prevent me from getting blisters. If gloves are not working for you.....your hands will toughen up over time if you keep at it.

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Stealth also. At the end of the hunt I swear I'll get a glove. But then I forget as I rush out the door for the next hunt :happysmiley:

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Had that problem too, I had a desk job and hunted weekends, the hands would heal up just enough to use the next weekend.... since I retired, and hunt regularly now, problem is gone... as Hag said, they will toughen up in time.

Cliff

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bike gloves; that have have the finger tips cut off, best thing you can do. I learned from the master (Les) that it also will protect the back of your hand from sun burn. I think Cliff wears them also, most of us do! I didn't think it was true when I started out but damn if I didn't get a hell of a sunburn on the back of my hand after a few days! What I'm suffering from now is every knuckle and joints on both hand are tightening up after hunting. They snap into place and painful at times! Ray

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of the issue is the salt which drys out your hands. We have a similar issue here in the desert southwest when we dig the salt flats.

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Yes a tough glove is a necessary. Sometime we just forget our fragile hand.:icon_scratch:

philbees

Greenie
Feb 15, 2006
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab Exp II
Sailing gloves

Hi people,I'm not sure if this has been discussed... But I'm having a lot of blisters and soreness from using my stealth 720i. Before you start thinking its all due to weight.. I've also been using a v v lightweight aluminum drain scoop with the same blister problem after 3-4 hours of hunting at the beach. I thought its a glove issue and had tried many but even thick ones didn't help. In fact, with the thick ones, I lost a useful hand to pick up the items on the ground...Does anyone have the same problem? How do you solve this?
I use sailing gloves. These gloves are made to get wet and have the fingers exposed to pick up the one gold ring per summer I find.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got to get past that painful break in period - the new scar tissue will be much tougher. :laughing7:

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
The gloves that come with the sunspot scoops worked for me. I only use one on my scoop hand.

OP
OP
F

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
The gloves that come with the sunspot scoops worked for me. I only use one on my scoop hand.

I did use the same but it didn't help much after 3-4 hours of hunting.

Btw, how to you guys carry your scoop when moving about scanning with your detector?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I bring my wife with me and let her carry the scoop. When I hit a target I say, "sounds like jewelry."

She does the rest.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use bicycle gloves. Ends of fingers are off. Gives UV protection. If you think blisters on the palm of your hands are bad wait till you see the back of your hands after years of not being protected.

tautog69

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2008
Delmarva
Detector(s) used
CZ20-21
I wear neoprene glove and coat the wear area with Goop or Shoe Goo, because like your fingers the gloves will wear in that area.

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use bicycle gloves. Ends of fingers are off. Gives UV protection. If you think blisters on the palm of your hands are bad wait till you see the back of your hands after years of not being protected.

I think any fingerless glove would solve your problem. However I still think I'm indestructible and go without protection so my hands have toughened up to some degree. However, I'll never be tougher than the sun, so next year I'll be wearing gloves.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:

Good point Les!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi people,

I'm not sure if this has been discussed... But I'm having a lot of blisters and soreness from using my stealth 720i.
Before you start thinking its all due to weight.. I've also been using a v v lightweight aluminum drain scoop with the same blister problem after 3-4 hours of hunting at the beach.
I thought its a glove issue and had tried many but even thick ones didn't help. In fact, with the thick ones, I lost a useful hand to pick up the items on the ground...

Does anyone have the same problem? How do you solve this?

Hunt with the "ON/OFF" switch of your detector in the "OFF" position.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol... Not to hunt? That's not a solution
\
Okay - Then get yourself a digger.
There are times, when it is safer and more effective for one to hunt and the other to dig.
Then after a agreed to period of time, or as soon as one tires, or in case your hands get sore, trade off positions.
As long as you agree to share the loot, equally, it does not matter who does what as it balances out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread