Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the braces on mine look much stronger...Ive been using mine all Summer and there is nothing about it that I would change.

OP
OP
Scanman

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
720i-front.jpg 720i-rear.jpg

I thought they had a great design, but the new design IMO looks to be a step backwards and driven by profit. I was on the waiting list, but now in search of another Scoop. :(

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Driven by profit? These scoops are not the only things Sunspot makes and the improvement was for strength. You will be sorry you went to buy a inferior product.

OP
OP
Scanman

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Driven by profit? These scoops are not the only things Sunspot makes and the improvement was for strength. You will be sorry you went to buy a inferior product.

I do not think you even bothered to look at the new design if that is your conclusion?

I do not see any improvement with the new design?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure why they changed it, the old design looks much stronger...Im sure they had a good reason, I just cant figure it out.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the new design. From the pictures in your initial post, It looks like two front strips were added and the narrow rear support replaced by two wider rear strips to better distribute loading across the top of the basket as well reduce twisting. It may also save weight depending on the thickness or the new strips.

I assume that the below picture in this post is what you believe to be the current design baseline. It is obvious that Sunspot Tooling Systems uses a process called continuous improvement in the design and support of their scoops. The Stealth 720 i scoop which I purchased several months ago is similar to the one pictured below but does not have the reinforcement between the open triangles above the basket. Approximately three months after receiving my scoop I was notified by Chuck to return this scoop for inspection as they have a new MIG welder and for reinforcement by adding the new strips at no charge. I suspect that the reason for the new design is to reduce metal fatigue as I can return the scoop anytime within three years at no charge for the upgrade.

As I am not trained as a mechanical engineer, nor a welder, and am only able to determine the suitability of a scoop for my use by rigorous testing at the beach, I assumed that the acronym IMO meant you had (Intuitive Magical Observational) skills or psychic abilities since your are not only able to determine comparative performance (the new design looks to be a step backward) by simply looking at a picture but also business objectives for the change (driven by profit).

Imagine my disappointment after looking up IMO on internet lingo to find it only means “In My Opinion”.
From your postings, it appears that you think as long as you put IMO in front of what you post you can make unsubstantiated statements about a manufacturer and insult member(s) who correct your faulty conclusion(s)?

Rather than use IMO, I will leave you with a famous statement by Abraham Lincoln: “It is far better to remain quiet and let people think you are a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt”.
I quoted Abe as he keeps coming back in ones scoop - memorialized on the copper clad one cent coin.:censored:
View attachment 858714 View attachment 858715

I thought they had a great design, but the new design IMO looks to be a step backwards and driven by profit. I was on the waiting list, but now in search of another Scoop. :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scanman

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buddy the old design has been well received and tested. I had no hesitations placing an order for the old design. I was looking for an improvement with the new design, and I do not see it? It looks like a weaker design.

Perhaps costs would have been a better term than profits.

Well you know what they say about opinions, and your's is that its an improvement, I disagree.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe Chuck will come on here and explain why the new design is better...from looking at the pictures I would take the old design. I love my Stealth 720i.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to like any new scoop design until I see one of them with the old Miller style looped handle. :laughing7: In fact, I'm launching a personal protest on the matter. :protest: "Bring back the looped handle! Bring back the looped handle!" :laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to like any new scoop design until I see one of them with the old Miller style looped handle. :laughing7: In fact, I'm launching a personal protest on the matter. :protest: "Bring back the looped handle! Bring back the looped handle!" :laughing7:
As much as people like that style of scoop, I wonder why no one is producing one. :dontknow:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buddy the old design has been well received and tested. I had no hesitations placing an order for the old design. I was looking for an improvement with the new design, and I do not see it? It looks like a weaker design.

Perhaps costs would have been a better term than profits.

Well you know what they say about opinions, and your's is that its an improvement, I disagree.

And since you resorted to personal attacks, I leave you this Go **** a Blender

Scan man:
I have no problem with you liking the older design which has been well received and tested. I have one myself and am more than satisfied with it.
As Chuck warrants his scoops for life, metal fatigue, and undue stress on the scoops are a key concern(s) to him.
Just because we are satisfied and not aware of failures, does not mean that the scoops are failure free and that they cannot be improved.

Yes, I agree that lowering life cycle cost for the manufacturer would have been the better and more correct term.
What bothered me is that your reply, intentional or not, implied that the change was for greed, which makes no sense as Chuck stopped production on what probably is his most popular stand up water scoop.

When Sandman clarified the changes were to add strength, you concluded that he had not even bothered to look at the new design.
In my opinion (IMO) you either did not bother to read his reply or disregarded it as it was not the answer you were looking for.

Oh by the way, I did not personally attack you. You assumed that I did! The fool could be anyone.
Betta – It could be myself as it is often stated that there is that there is no fool like an old fool.
Mo Betta – “ A Fool and his Tool”.

I was just fooling around. This is one of my favorite quotes for ending a post. As I am often reminded of Old Abe since his memorial coin usually ends up in my scoop every time I treasure hunt.

As it is obvious that I gotcha (your attention at last) by your inflammatory reply, I have no need to respond in like manner with obscene symbols and gestures. (LOL & HH)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scanman

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its just me? but a Scoop is a big investment, the new design is radically different, I look forward to reading reviews of the new design.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One can never research too much!

You got that right Scanman. After my metal detector, my largest invesment is in scoops.
Theese are highly specialized tools, and in my experience more challenging to find the proper one than the metal detector for the beaches and different hunting styles which I use. I still need a short handle, pull toward me type of stainless scoop for diving as the type I have pushes me away from the target and at least thirty pounds of lead.

I don't see how the new design is radically different, but mechanics is not my strong suite.
Hopefully Chuck will explain the reason(s) for the design change and improvement(s), if any, when he is ready to do so.

Wish you well and hope you find what you are looking for.
SGC Sends

Maybe its just me? but a Scoop is a big investment, the new design is radically different, I look forward to reading reviews of the new design.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to add my 2 cents. I have a buddy who BENT his twice and broke 2 handles, once he had Chuck add those braces its been a non issue. Those braces distributes the pressure really well.... they may not look as strong but it puts the torque where it was needed not in one area on the back. The StarvR has them as well. If you try and take a huge bite with this long scoop ..... thats a lot of sand to move. Dew

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Im going to add my 2 cents. I have a buddy who BENT his twice and broke 2 handles, once he had Chuck add those braces its been a non issue. Those braces distributes the pressure really well.... they may not look as strong but it puts the torque where it was needed not in one area on the back. The StarvR has them as well. If you try and take a huge bite with this long scoop ..... thats a lot of sand to move. Dew

I wonder if I can get mine reinforced free if I send it in... I really abuse my scoop and the Stealth is really one hell of a monster... :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The famous Miller Scoop

I had one of these years ago and someone stole it. I liked the way you could plant the bucket and the lifting was easy. You could loop it over your shoulders for carrying it back to the car.
Miller Scoop.jpg

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did he bend one with the little square brace in the back? The original design had no brace in the back.

Chuck-N-Detroit

Oct 18, 2010
Warren, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Equinox and Deus
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why I made changes to the 720i

Interesting thoughts and thanks to all who commented.

1 - With the original design, the single support at the rear failed on a few scoops so I needed to spread the load out which is why there are now two braces.

2 - Why use 3/16" stainless bar? There are a number of factors when designing: Weight, strength, cost, ease of manufacturing and esthetics.

The steel bars ARE, lighter, just as strong, cost slightly less, are easier to manufacture but they don't look good (I agree) :icon_scratch:

Another factor is that we now have a "tube" design which could only be braced with Steel bars so I wanted consistency.

There is one very important point that I did not see mentioned: With less area of the bars, waves and currents with not push the scoop around as much which is the largest gain with this design.

As for cost, the lower rear is now at a 45 degree angle which helps to retrieve your target. This change is very costly and a little complex (with 3D computer designing, we can do things we could have only dreamed of in the past). Another detail is the rear of the scoop has a large radius which is not as easy to form as a sharp corner. This radius is in the area where your foot pushes.

Ultimately, I must satisfy my customers or they will stop buying and I would go bye bye. I think I have hit the nail on the head but only time will tell.

Chuck

Attachments

• 720i 6.jpg
    720i 6.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 720i 7.jpg
    720i 7.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Chuck...love your scoops.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread