9/7/13- Gold Ring w/Diamonds, Silver, Mystery Ring??

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out for a few hours today but realized I left the Go-Pro at home so no video this time. I managed to find a 5.14 gram 10K ring with 7 diamonds, a silver earring, and what I think is a Tungsten Carbide Ring (the ring weighs 13.57 grams which is why I think it is tungsten). The gold ring was in the worst shape of any gold I have ever found. I think this baby was in the water for a while because it was in rough shape. Upon cleaning it shows the nice gold shine we all like to see. I took before and after pictures so you can see the difference.

The only marking inside the ring I believe is Tungsten is "L'Aventurine". I Googled this but didn't find anything concerning tungsten rings so this one remains a mystery. If anyone can shed some light on the origin of this ring I would appreciate it. I dug a bunch of bottle caps even though my Excal told me they weren't good just to get them out of the way since I plan to come back to this area soon. Anyone else "clean up" an area even though your machine is telling you the target is junk? Happy Hunting!

IMG_0880.JPG IMG_0881.JPG IMG_0882.JPG IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0876.JPG IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0890.JPG IMG_0892.JPG IMG_0889.JPG
PS- I bought a new gold/silver cleaning product some of you might be interested in. I usually tumble my finds but when I only have a piece or two this stuff works great. I bought it at Wal Mart and it is called "Eagle One Original Nevr-Dull Wadding Polish". It is basically a clump of fabric soaked in a cleaning agent. It works really good and gives you a quick shine without having to wait for your tumbler to do it's thing. Hopefully some of you can benefit from this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice catch. The gold ring seems old, it looks like the old style that were made hollow by design. If it was solid it would weigh probably twice the weight you got. I don't know if they still make them.

chip12977

Jun 7, 2012
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent the better half of the summer cleaning the local lakes swimming area out with my dual field, pulling bobby pins out around 12" is not fun when you can't see where you are digging, but it paid off with a 14k and silver ring.

I haven't found any more rings there yet, maybe I should throw all the bobby pins back in so they grow-up to be rings!

OP
OP
D

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice catch. The gold ring seems old, it looks like the old style that were made hollow by design. If it was solid it would weigh probably twice the weight you got. I don't know if they still make them.

Thanks for the info Les. I didn't know that but this did seem light for its size. Now I know why!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread