excal2 users .... jus quick ?

BOBBY PIN KING

Jul 31, 2013
Grand Island Fl
Detector(s) used
excal2 and bhid
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Normally I never ask for help but this is bothering me, bhid did better today than new excal2 :icon_scratch: on wet sand stable, in water stable, but from water back to sand even after adjusting sens, a lot of falsing and tone changing, when swingin, and or touching sand with cover , tried pin point,disc, changing sensitivity, wire isn't flooping around, didn't get unit wet,dry batt terminals :BangHead: drove me nuts,,,,,the ear muffs SUCK...but I didn't dig any :censored: bobby pins.. that's the only thing that kept me sorta sain....???? works great before wet,,,,,,solution???

Upvote 0

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Is there someone close by that is an Excal user that can see your unit in action? That could be the quickest way to determine if the unit is ok. To me it sounds like you could have a coil problem.... OR you have some adjustments on the pots that aren't quite right.

Cliff

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
I can't help you on the falsing problem but gel seals will make the headphones much more comfortable.

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a new machine?

Maybe Dr. OBN will see your post.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like water problem. If there is a cut or crack anywhere in the coil cable, you will get water going down into the coil and even up into the controls so I would start by checking that first.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More info would help, what were your settings on the excal?
Do you have a coil cover on?
How is the battery charge, a battery that is close to uncharged will act just like that, have you checked the battery to see if it is holding a full charge?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby, you and I live very close together, I live in Orlando very close to Apopka, I see your close to Eutis..... If you want I can check it out for you....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your swinging the coil in very shallow water you will get falsing as the waves roll over it also...... Just a thought....

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not an Ex-Cal expert as I use mine as a back-up machine. Too many tones. Check your coil, make sure there is no debris in the coil cover. Turn the sensitivity down. Good luck.

OP
OP
BOBBY PIN KING

BOBBY PIN KING

Jul 31, 2013
Grand Island Fl
Detector(s) used
excal2 and bhid
Primary Interest:
Jus checked coil cover....sand....awesome... drying now...gonna use small bead of silicon...to seal out sand and water.....thanks...will post results.........will reply to PM's shortly after "ol lady". Cools off......she out a cigs...lol

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jus checked coil cover....sand....awesome... drying now...gonna use small bead of silicon...to seal out sand and water.....thanks...will post results.........will reply to PM's shortly after "ol lady". Cools off......she out a cigs...lol

If your hunting salt beaches and water you don't need the cover, I haven't used one in water in 6 years

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No cover for me!! maybe some truck bed liner spray!

SnT

Kinda like a jimmy hat!:tongue3:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this a new machine?

Maybe Dr. OBN will see your post.

My words exactly, new machine? TH is right, need someone near that has some Excalibur time in to test it...

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to gamble that you don't have the proper settings. Take Cliffs recommendations and see if there is an experienced EXCAL user in your area that will help you. reading the manual really helps!! Ray

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to gamble that you don't have the proper settings. Take Cliffs recommendations and see if there is an experienced EXCAL user in your area that will help you. reading the manual really helps!! Ray

He and I live fairly close together I have contacted him and he knows how to reach me if he needs it checked out further....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
BOBBY PIN KING

BOBBY PIN KING

Jul 31, 2013
Grand Island Fl
Detector(s) used
excal2 and bhid
Primary Interest:
new machine...sens was,4-6 took off coil cover off , works fine,,, cleaned it up gonna put back on and seal it up, never knew sand between the two could cause so much "fun",,,, may have to change name now :icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
new machine...sens was,4-6 took off coil cover off , works fine,,, cleaned it up gonna put back on and seal it up, never knew sand between the two could cause so much "fun",,,, may have to change name now :icon_thumright:

You know hunting the local beaches here you dont need the coil cover, I have never used one on my excals and in 6 years not wore out a coil or damaged it from using it.... I did crack a coil one day when I made the stupid mistake of standing it coil up against my truck in driveway and it slid down and cracked coil, but that was my error, and not caused by lack of coil cover use....

Last edited:

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Glad you found the problem, same thing happened to my AT pro when I first got it and haven't used the cover since then.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
BPK, question for you...I see a boat n fish finder, have you thought about using the fish finder as a tool for detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions