Tiger Shark on salt water beach

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
So, yes its sometimes a source of controversy taking the tiger shark instead of a sand shark to the salt water but it did pretty good. A lot of good heavy targets so I don't yet if I'm missing a little gold along the way but once I got in the zone it seemed every coin was a quarter just about.
Even got a little blackpowder ball in there. Not sure what the two wheel-like objects are.
Mostly in wet low tide sand.
HH

ForumRunner_20130925_161209.png

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use the Tiger Shark at some saltwater beaches in the wet sand. You did well with it. It can respond well to those thin gold chains, but they have no weight to them. They are still fun to find.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I find the tiger shark to be effective in the wet salt sand, just not very stable in the waves. My Whites Dual Field is a lot more stable in the water than any of my other machines including two that cost twice as much as the Dual Field. Of course I don't find bobby pins with those more expensive machines. The Tiger Shark is the only one of 5 detectors I own, that could pick up a small 14k earring I found by eye, and it saw it clearly at about 4" deep. The discrimination on the Tiger is not all that great but it is a potential tool to use. The Tiger Shark is a good machine and I certainly would not negate it's positive qualities. Beach Papa

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Yeah the discrimination isnt much so I run it pretty low. I actually got the machine for freshwater but I'm having a blast learning the different modes at the ocean. Sometimes its a little more peacefully running a vlf instead is listening to the pi mosquito buzz all day.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Not bad overall. Picking up quarters is a lot better than picking up caps

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Yeah the discrimination isnt much so I run it pretty low. I actually got the machine for freshwater but I'm having a blast learning the different modes at the ocean. Sometimes its a little more peacefully running a vlf instead is listening to the pi mosquito buzz all day.

If you do a little experiment you will see that you get a little more depth by having that mosquito buzz in you ear. With practice and a barely audible threshold, you will be able to discern slight changes in the threshold that indicate a target below the coil, which the machine will not respond to in silent mode. It has been a while since I used mine, but as I recall, you get several inches of additional depth in the all metal mode. Good Luck with you hunting. Beach Papa

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
No kidding- good to know. I have a PI as well but its good to know how versatile the Tiger can be.
Gotta love the Fall md'ing season!

Last edited:

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
I'm glad to hear the tiger shark works well in salt water. I will bring it with me to MB. So far this year I have found 7 gold rings, one I helped the lady find in the water and one large 14k white gold mans ring (my first white gold ring). Most of the gold rings were small for some reason. I also found 2 titanium rings and 2 really nice silver rings... all with the tiger shark. A lot of ear rings and a lot of bling. I try to stay away from the shore were people through their beer caps and pennies. Out deeper the worst thing is bobby pins. Any way, glad to read your advice on the tiger.

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
I bet it will do pretty good. I haven't taken it swimming yet, per se. I have a lot of hot rocks to deal with so it can chatter a little in salt water(with the hot rocks) but in patches of just sand its quite quiet. Keep us posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread