Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they let you on the beach and that is a big if , hunt the cut or slope by the water.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ron, just curious: who is "they" and why would this "they" not allow someone on the beach? Is there expected to be such dangerous or damaged beach, that .... no one's allowed on the beach?

We had a situation here where erosion got so bad during some storms in 1997-98, that one beach put up "closed" signs at the stair-way sidewalks that led down to the beach. Waves ... in some spots ... crashed un-inhibited up against shear cliffs, since the beach had eroded away in spot to erase the wave's normal stopping points. However, most of the other portions of the beach still had beach sand left on them (albeit eroded there too). As I looked down from the city streets above, seeing this yellow ticker tape across the stairway leading down, I noticed people down on the beach, none-the-less Dog walkers, people gathering driftwood, or ... for whatever reasons. They had simply chosen other paths down, rather than the ones I was looking at. And from there, simply walked north or south.

It occurred to me then, that the only reason the city put up the yellow ticker tape at the main-walkthrough points (although they can't cover every conceivable walk-in point for a 2-mile long beach!) was to "cover their butts". That way, if someone got clobbered by a wave and washed out to the sea, no one can sue the city and claim "you should have closed the beach" or whatever. But the reality was, people were still on the beach. No one was "kicking them out". But sure, if I'd gone to city hall and asked "can I go down on the beach?", no doubt, I would have found someone to tell me "no".

So what is the situation with the beach in this post? Were you saying that because they attempt to "close the beach"? Or are you referring to a beach that "doesn't allow detecting" to begin with? Or what?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool link!

Have any of you personally had any luck post-storm? We'll be just about dead center of where this TS is making landfall.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have seen situations where the city/town closes the beach after a storm for various reasons depending on the severity of the storm. 1. Prevent looting beachfront homes that were damaged in the storm. 2. protect people from doing stupid/dangerous things like swimming in a strong riptide current or walking among dangerous debris left on the beach from the storm. 3. Cover their own butt from law suites when someone does something stupid. If the first case is the reason, then the police will likely be patrolling the beach and tell you to get off the beach or put you in jail. In cases 2 & 3 you might get away with it even if there is barrier tape at the stairs over the dunes, since there might be sand washed away from under the stairs at the beach making that access dangerous.... There was very damaging storm in years past that washed over the barrier island, did a whole lot of damage and left a lot of stuff on the beach. The police closed the roads and would not let anyone onto the island, even residents, because there were gas and fuel tanks that were displaced and the town deemed it unsafe until they could confirm it was safe to enter. Even if you came to the beach by boat and did not go where the houses were the police would still make you leave because they felt you might loot the damaged houses near the beach. HH after the storm and be safe... Beach Papa

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think we're going to be ok. Where we'll be is pretty much an unincorporated town, and the beach is private! Woot!!

baytraderbutch

Oct 15, 2012
Ms Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites Gold Master, Whites Coin Master. Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach hunt after storm whimped out.

Anxious to hear too. We'll be ready Sunday as well.

I hunted the beaches of Hancock county after the tropical storm wimped out and scored two silver rings and a ladies Seiko watch, just like a times took a licking and came up ticking. Assorted coins and junk as well of course.

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forgot to report back after our trip, but on Perdido Key we found $0.85 in clad, a pair of sunglasses, a million bottle caps, and a big sign from the FlorBama bar that blew into the sand a long time ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread