64.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done:icon_thumright: And you too good luck out there:2barsgold:

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why magnets in a sand scoop?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To clean out all the iron you dig with certain machines

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
cool man, i might throw one in mine just to see what sticks, thanks for sharing

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool man, i might throw one in mine just to see what sticks, thanks for sharing
You won't need magnets since your tool box has some of the best machines made for discing out junk iron rubbish!

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yea but i like doin random mods, who knows might clean a little junk out of the water if nothin else :)

You won't need magnets since your tool box has some of the best machines made for discing out junk iron rubbish!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I used the plain magnets and they last about one season in salt water. They corrode and break apart pretty easily.

Since I switched to the plastic coated neo magnets, I've not had any problems. They have countersunk #6 holes in them which works well with stainless hardware.

The magnets grab the goofy little iron crap that can sometimes drive you nuts.

I've dug up a lot of great things following behind someone who has the discrim up to unload all the iron...

I get them from Click THIS

Scoop1.jpg

Scoop 2.jpg

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Sand Sharks don't discriminate out iron in the traditional sense. They hit EVERYTHING.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sand Sharks don't discriminate out iron in the traditional sense. They hit EVERYTHING.
Yea I owned one for about a month and decided it just wasn't my cup of tea. When you chase small bits of iron, screw caps, etc 20" deep it gets a little tiring. It has it's place out in the surf I guess but I hunt wet sand and first drop mostly.

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I used the plain magnets and they last about one season in salt water. They corrode and break apart pretty easily.

Since I switched to the plastic coated neo magnets, I've not had any problems. They have countersunk #6 holes in them which works well with stainless hardware.

The magnets grab the goofy little iron crap that can sometimes drive you nuts.

I've dug up a lot of great things following behind someone who has the discrim up to unload all the iron...

I get them from Click THIS

View attachment 889467

View attachment 889468

Ya that's where I purchased the magnets above in my pic's (good prices, fast delivery) The ones I got are nickel plated next time if these fail or wear out I will look at the plastic coated ones like you have, thank's G.I.B.
Happy Hunting, :occasion14:
Bill G

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Maintains ones sanity mostly...

There are some very small bits of metal that the PI machines (and the other quality VLF's) will hit very deep. I've dug a foot down for the cheap back of an earring, the holder thing. They love to fall through the holes in the scoop, and you keep digging and digging.

Gold won't stick, got that, but the cheap crap will. One scoop and the junk is stuck to the scoop in the surf and therefore my sanity is preserved.

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006

I use the Tesoro Sand Shark PI detector. The Sand Shark or PI type detectors will work better and go deeper than most all VLF type detectors in wet salty sand here on the west coast. I have been told this by Tesoro detectors and guys like Terry Solomon, G.I.B and other well known reputable beach hunters. I am new to beach hunting myself but have been detecting for almost 20 years and I know the main draw back is the PI detector will not discriminate like my VLF detectors do. So if I dig a target and there is iron trash and bobby pins around it the scoop will capture the iron junk away from target and I can now concentrate on the target that's still in the hole. Also another thing the magnet in the scoop can keep me from chasing a small piece of iron that fell through the scoop thinking there is still a good target there because the junk has now stuck to the scoop. This is the price you pay for the depth and performance of a PI machine being used on a wet salt water beach. It was also recommended to me buy long time beach hunters to install the magnets in my scoop.

Bill G

Last edited:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a sand scoop modification like this but the person who did it also put some 1/4 inch hardware cloth in his scoop to keep those little metal parts the magnet didn't catch from falling out his scoop. I plan to get some magnets and try this modification on my scoop.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you need the stainless steel hardware if you are just using your scoop in freshwater?
I went to this website and they have magnets with different lb settings, what would you suggest weight wise?
These are what's called rare earth magnets that are quite strong, I suppose. I've seen them mentioned on the site before.

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Stainless hardware is a good choice for any water application. Don't know about IB settings but a few strong magnets about a quarter in size is good from what I have been told and decided to do my self.
Bill G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions