Minelab remote pinpoint mod. Question!???!

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not trying to offend anyone but has anyone that have done the remote pinpoint mod taken it under water yet? Has anyone heard of any problems with leaks, or shorting out by switch itself leaking? Any other sort of problems? I so want to do this modification but wonder about what would happen if the switched leaked or God forbid the housing leaked! Have seen videos of people using this mod and it looks like a great idea but never seen one in or under the water yet. The videos I've seen look like they've all got it down pat but just thought I'd ask before I take the gamble as I plan to completely submerge my excal 1000 under the surf for long periods of time and am concerned of the quality of water proofing with the technique I see online.
Looks like it would be fine but if someone doesn't feel that it is advisable or have heard a horror story I'd like to hear about it instead of live it!

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to offend anyone but has anyone that have done the remote pinpoint mod taken it under water yet? Has anyone heard of any problems with leaks, or shorting out by switch itself leaking? Any other sort of problems? I so want to do this modification but wonder about what would happen if the switched leaked or God forbid the housing leaked! Have seen videos of people using this mod and it looks like a great idea but never seen one in or under the water yet. The videos I've seen look like they've all got it down pat but just thought I'd ask before I take the gamble as I plan to completely submerge my excal 1000 under the surf for long periods of time and am concerned of the quality of water proofing with the technique I see online.
Looks like it would be fine but if someone doesn't feel that it is advisable or have heard a horror story I'd like to hear about it instead of live it!

How far under water are you talking? I have had mine chest deep with no issues. If remote switch stops working the pp/description switch on control housing still works.

As far as controls leaking, the end cover where wire goes in controls is drilled out and then is filled in with resin mine is more waterproof than when it came from the factory.

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok that's good to hear T.H.! Glad it turned out to be a success for you with no issues. I too am planning on using it chest deep and occasionally for snorkel detecting. Thanks for responding its reassuring! Good luck to you

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the deeper surf with mine all the time.....no issues at all. OBN did mine and he really seals things up well. I'd say you'd have a better chance of the switch wearing out before you had any type of a leak issue. But OBN could probably answer your concerns best. Just send him a PM and ask - very nice and very honest guy. I think the actual switch is rated IP68, or good to about 3 meters, but Joe would be able to give all the "experiences" he's had with them and he's installed/replaced quite a few of them.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Big scoop!! The remote PP I do and the parts I use last for several years. Out of 20+ remote conversion none have returned. Vid of me using it under.

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like I said the other day Joe. I WILL be giving you a call when my warranty runs out pal:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread