Whites " Dual Field "surf pi pro ratings?

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
My first detector. It is stable in the salt water, goes really deep. Picks up the smallest of ever thing. I could never tell the difference between gold and iron with it. I dug up so much junk I gave myself the handle MBbeachrat. Wish I never seen the detector. Great detector if you looking for artifacts.

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My first detector. It is stable in the salt water, goes really deep. Picks up the smallest of ever thing. I could never tell the difference between gold and iron with it. I dug up so much junk I gave myself the handle MBbeachrat. Wish I never seen the detector. Great detector if you looking for artifacts.
Wow! That bad huh?

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006

The Duel Field It's a PI machine no discrimination, that's the price you pay for a deep stable detector that performes on wet Salt Water Beachs. VLF detectors will discriminate the trash (yes less trash and iron junk) but not get the depth or stability in most cases on wet salt water and black sand as the PI units.

Happy Hunting, :occasion14:
Bill G

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Dual Field and used it yesterday. Came back with a silver ring, dog tag, and a handful of change. I have found gold rings, necklaces as well as change. Yes you have to dig everything however, everything includes all of the above. Lets face it, even if you have a vlf machine, you should dig everything. Not all 12-46 on a minelab is going to be a quarter or a 28 on a whites machine going to be a pull tab. Plus the Dual Field goes really deep. Just my opinion. GFP

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Why does everyone always refer to detecting as either pi or vlf?
Isn't anyone aware of bbs technology?
Here are the depth ratings for all three technologies.

Attachments

• image-1214923913.jpg
    image-1214923913.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 179

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBS is still VLF, and there is also FBS which is also a VLF. The BBS has 17 frequencies and the FBS 28 frequencies. If you go back in MD evolution there also was BFO "beat frequency oscillator", and some folks still use them. Many VLFs will not even get 4" in saltwater or even be of much use in the salt due to falsing. The numbers you have are I believe the very most you will ever get, and I wouldn't expect that anybody will get that kind of depth except in the maximum optimum conditions and on objects larger than coins or jewelry in the salt. If you're gonna hunt in saltwater it is best to have a machine with fully submersible capabilities, and that pretty much leaves you with the Excal (BBS) or one of several PIs. Either way if you seek gold you're gonna dig junk since pulltabs and lead sinkers will ring up the same as gold jewelry on all VLF machines.

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
BBS is still VLF, and there is also FBS which is also a VLF. The BBS has 17 frequencies and the FBS 28 frequencies. If you go back in MD evolution there also was BFO "beat frequency oscillator", and some folks still use them. Many VLFs will not even get 4" in saltwater or even be of much use in the salt due to falsing. The numbers you have are I believe the very most you will ever get, and I wouldn't expect that anybody will get that kind of depth except in the maximum optimum conditions and on objects larger than coins or jewelry in the salt. If you're gonna hunt in saltwater it is best to have a machine with fully submersible capabilities, and that pretty much leaves you with the Excal (BBS) or one of several PIs. Either way if you seek gold you're gonna dig junk since pulltabs and lead sinkers will ring up the same as gold jewelry on all VLF machines.

Yes true! I have an excal 1000 and a whites dual field pi.
I've owned 6 sand sharks due to constant leak problems, 2 dual fields Hating and trying again, beach hunter 300 id, and an old industrial whites detector I got scammed into buying years ago by a dealer.
I only hunt with salt water, water proof machines and dual field has insane depth but not fun when you're digging a constantly sinking target in the surf for 20 minutes and finding out its a junk target at 20 plus inches.
Sand shark VCO mode is killer for finds but kind of a shallow machine on depth and after constant leaks from coils to earphones I've decided I was done with them.
Mailing in a shark for $30 a pop x 6 times will piss anybody off!
New coils, new ear phones and constant problems. Sure it seams like BS but it happened!
Dual field floating coil kind of sucks too.
Doesn't seam to be a very stable machine in the water either!
Beach hunter kind of a toy but finds great stuff in the dry sand.
Running excal 1000 now and couldn't be happier!
Now I can hunt all metal mode or discrimination when ever I want to but been running all metal lately and using disc to confirm it is not iron before I continue.
Sure vlf is a joke on depth and pi is deepest but I found a happy medium and went bbs.
Definitely is deeper then the sand shark with an 8" coil I was running!

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Not to offend here but it sounds like you started this thread to push the Minelab product in an under cover way and sort of bash all the rest.( No detector is perfect not even the Minelab and they all have there place) Sounds like you don't like the White's duel field at all and had a grip of issues with the Sand Shark where others have not and praise the detector like you do with your Minelab. You say the Detector Pro Beach Hunter is a toy. That's just your opinion of these detectors and I respect that, but others out there have had different experiences with these mentioned detectors. We now know you really like the Minelab as many others do, it's a great VLF type detector according to most. Also the Fisher CZ 21 is another good VLF unit you may like this one and want to give it a try.

Also the comments above about VLF & PI detectors by gunsil is correct that is why guys refer to detectors as VLF or PI type.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've the opposite experience with the 2 sharks I own. For multiple years, not a problem, other than a hole in a coil that I wore into it myself on shells without a coil cover. You will continually hear talk of "no iron" with the excal, what you don't hear about is the tiny tid bits of aluminum foil, gum wrappers, pop tops, pull tabs, rivets, and twist ties, that it loves to find. To this date, i've yet to find a single piece of aluminum foil or twist ties with my Sharks, yet have no problem finding the most minute of gold. Likewise, i've not had issues with depth. Any deeper, I would need an excavator. To the OP, I don't care for the wagon wheel, overly buoyant coil myself.

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to offend here but it sounds like you started this thread to push the Minelab product in an under cover way and sort of bash all the rest.( No detector is perfect not even the Minelab and they all have there place) Sounds like you don't like the White's duel field at all and had a grip of issues with the Sand Shark where others have not and praise the detector like you do with your Minelab. You say the Detector Pro Beach Hunter is a toy. That's just your opinion of these detectors and I respect that, but others out there have had different experiences with these mentioned detectors. We now know you really like the Minelab as many others do, it's a great VLF type detector according to most. Also the Fisher CZ 21 is another good VLF unit you may like this one and want to give it a try. Also the comments above about VLF & PI detectors by gunsil is correct that is why guys refer to detectors as VLF or PI type. Happy Hunting, Bill G
Not intended to bash any others but I see why it may seem that way after rereading my post. I was a little bitter towards a buddy of mine pushing me towards it and getting me to leave my others. I actually liked the shark a lot and found tons of good finds with it! Very upset with the problems I had with it and tried to get them to cover shipping as I was taking a beating! My hunting buddy hunted with the same machine right beside me problem free while I delt with some serious bad luck! Tesoro went way beyond anyone's expectations to help me through what I was experiencing to the point I've been sworn to secrecy. I'll tell you this... They've got class A++ customer service and highly unlikely any other company will ever beat it!!! The fact is I just delt with a bad batch of something. I treated it like it was a extremely rare egg from a dying breed of bird and couldn't have been gentler to it. Leaked in 3 coils,2 sets of head phones and electrical malfunctions of who knows what. If it didn't happen if still be swinging it today! Check my posts! You can see how great I was doing with it! As for the excal, I'm just overly excited as if I bread a vlf and a pi and it is what "I" like the best. Not trying to push any brands for anyone or anything and expect everyone will find what they like their own way as the rest of us do. I love the idea of pi just not at the cost of digging iron as there's more of it then gold and silver combined! I'll be honest , while hunting on days that turn out to be so so I wonder if I'd been hunting with my pi would I have found something good ,gold, platinum ect.! I have had back surgery and have recently injured my back again and am detecting as a form of rehabilitation to strengthen my back up and because detecting rules! With that being said, yeah I know the good stuff is deeper,yeah a pi is your best bet at reaching the good stuff down deeper but with my back I prefer not to dig any holes I don't have to as it takes a lot out of me to the point of using the heating pad daily but I just can't leave a target behind and wonder what it was and then not sleeping well anyway. Not trying to say who should have what, Just stating my opinion. FYI I started this thread due to the lack of posts about it, how people like it and to see if there are any good success stories with the dual field before I make the mistake of selling it! Happy hunting! Good luck to all of you weather you have a $2500 10' deep water rated machine (over rated) but that's my opinion again or if you drag a clam rake through the water! Good luck either way

Last edited:
OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Who hunts with the "new" Dual field surf pi pro? Do you like or dislike it? Like to see your finds!
Don't see many posts about it.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Not intended to bash any others but I see why it may seem that way after rereading my post. I was a little bitter towards a buddy of mine pushing me towards it and getting me to leave my others. I actually liked the shark a lot and found tons of good finds with it! Very upset with the problems I had with it and tried to get them to cover shipping as I was taking a beating! My hunting buddy hunted with the same machine right beside me problem free while I delt with some serious bad luck! Tesoro went way beyond anyone's expectations to help me through what I was experiencing to the point I've been sworn to secrecy. I'll tell you this... They've got class A++ customer service and highly unlikely any other company will ever beat it!!! The fact is I just delt with a bad batch of something. I treated it like it was a extremely rare egg from a dying breed of bird and couldn't have been gentler to it. Leaked in 3 coils,2 sets of head phones and electrical malfunctions of who knows what. If it didn't happen if still be swinging it today! Check my posts! You can see how great I was doing with it! As for the excal, I'm just overly excited as if I bread a vlf and a pi and it is what "I" like the best. Not trying to push any brands for anyone or anything and expect everyone will find what they like their own way as the rest of us do. I love the idea of pi just not at the cost of digging iron as there's more of it then gold and silver combined! I'll be honest , while hunting on days that turn out to be so so I wonder if I'd been hunting with my pi would I have found something good ,gold, platinum ect.! I have had back surgery and have recently injured my back again and am detecting as a form of rehabilitation to strengthen my back up and because detecting rules! With that being said, yeah I know the good stuff is deeper,yeah a pi is your best bet at reaching the good stuff down deeper but with my back I prefer not to dig any holes I don't have to as it takes a lot out of me to the point of using the heating pad daily but I just can't leave a target behind and wonder what it was and then not sleeping well anyway. Not trying to say who should have what, Just stating my opinion. FYI I started this thread due to the lack of posts about it, how people like it and to see if there are any good success stories with the dual field before I make the mistake of selling it! Happy hunting! Good luck to all of you weather you have a $2500 10' deep water rated machine (over rated) but that's my opinion again or if you drag a clam rake through the water! Good luck either way

I do understand, I am sorry for jumping to any kind of conclusion after the fact. Thank you for taking the time to explain I see where your coming from now. I do hope you get to feeling better.

Happy Hunting, :occasion14:
Bill G

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've the opposite experience with the 2 sharks I own. For multiple years, not a problem, other than a hole in a coil that I wore into it myself on shells without a coil cover. You will continually hear talk of "no iron" with the excal, what you don't hear about is the tiny tid bits of aluminum foil, gum wrappers, pop tops, pull tabs, rivets, and twist ties, that it loves to find. To this date, i've yet to find a single piece of aluminum foil or twist ties with my Sharks, yet have no problem finding the most minute of gold. Likewise, i've not had issues with depth. Any deeper, I would need an excavator. To the OP, I don't care for the wagon wheel, overly buoyant coil myself.

If you have time read my posts titled sand shark finds and you'll probably be extra proud of it and I'm sure you've done well with yours also!
I found over 5 ounces of silver when I was sharking! She was good to me when she was good! I too have experienced great small gold finds that my Detector didn't even pick up back then. No more names I guess!
Wanted feed back from dual field users and to see there posts and then the other brands were brought into it! Not be me at first!
Hope you've hunted in VCO it kinda hurt to leave that mode!
It's like having a warning sign ahead of you that there is a target going to be heading to your coil soon!

wvdirtdigger

Mar 9, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not speak about the dual field but I have a friend that used a surfmaster PI and does very well.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have time read my posts titled sand shark finds and you'll probably be extra proud of it and I'm sure you've done well with yours also!
I found over 5 ounces of silver when I was sharking! She was good to me when she was good! I too have experienced great small gold finds that my Detector didn't even pick up back then. No more names I guess!
Wanted feed back from dual field users and to see there posts and then the other brands were brought into it! Not be me at first!
Hope you've hunted in VCO it kinda hurt to leave that mode!
It's like having a warning sign ahead of you that there is a target going to be heading to your coil soon!

Ya, VCO is the only mode I hunt in. Personally, I believe it to not only have additional depth in VCO, but much easier to hear the really faint signals.

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 DFPIs, Excalibur , Sovereign GT, and a MXT Pro, love them all. However, the DFPI has easily paid for all 5 machines and than some. As a matter of fact I like the DFPI so much and never want to be without one is the reason I have two.

Different tools for different jobs.

Last edited:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Pictures huh?

This is about a month's worth in 2012
DF Gold sm.jpg

A week later found this mariner's cross:
gold anchr 12nov sm.jpg

This 18K chain at over 17 grams in December
gold Chain hand 14dec sm.jpg

and a smaller 14K bracelet February at just under 11 grams
gold bracelet 12 feb sm.jpg

A Really nice October this year too The first nine or ten items were October 2013 finds the rest since the beginning of the year
The 950's are Platinum the rest unmarked are 14K:

Ara Nov2013 w wts.jpg

So...you think I might like my Dual Field? The answer is an unequivocal NO!

I L O V E my Dual Field!

PS: Notice the smallest ring there at 0.39 grams!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread