kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all,

First of all, Happy Veteran's Day and thank you to all who are serving or who have served in our armed forces for your sacrifice and service to our country.
The girlfriend and I took a trip down to her hometown and we spent Saturday on the beach at Galveston. Now, I know we didn't go to the best beach there but I'm still learning the Excal and I needed a place I knew had a lot of targets even though the potential for gold wasn't very high. We hunted the wet sand. It was a great trip for both relaxation and I did learn a lot from my detector. I caught on real fast to what the good signals were, nickels and pulltabs, and I was happy to find that the Excalibur made such a huge distinction between those signals vs. other coins. One very deep and great sounding signal got my heart rate going but it ended up being a very deep nickel. Found half a dozen sinkers, half a dozen pull tabs, a dozen twist off beer tops (didn't actually have a good signal but I was digging more rather than less), and a lot of change.
The girlfriend loves going out and detecting, she likes not knowing what is going to come up out of the ground. She carries the shovel behind me and I'll mark an 'X' where the target is and she'll get to digging. We found a lot of smallish targets too like little bathing suit buttons, zippers, etc. that gave me huge confidence in my detector-in other words, I feel that if I had actually put the coil over something good I would have found it. Next step for me is probably going to be either making or purchasing a sand scoop and getting out in the water.

One quick question, when the Excalibur runs out of battery, does the threshold automatically go down, like you have to keep turning it down to get rid of the background noise? On my last pass as I was on my way out, I noticed this happening and just figured my detector was running out of juice, I hadn't charged it the night before and have used it a bit since charging it last.

11.09.2013galveston.png

Upvote 0

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ive never ran the excal battery that low, so not sure. But you can charge it every time no matter what the level is. The excal battery does not develop a memory. So I just throw it on the charger after every use. And ive used it all day and never had it run low or out.

OP
OP
kleinerschmitter

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I'm guessing with the total I've used it since last charging it might be close to a day's use but I think more importantly is that it sat in my closet for a good month or so since it's last charge as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread