Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long does the gas model run on a tank of gas for one diver? I assume it's louder than the electric model? That's a good price on ebay and I would like to have one myself. I started a dive class last night and didn't really know how expensive the course would be. The basic course price is reasonable, but by the time you add the booties, snorkel, mask, fins and a few other items, I had sticker shock. This is my Christmas gift to myself and I believe I will get the money back with what I find in the river. Next is a drysuit and then a hookah. Most of my detecting will be in water from now on and I'm gearing up for this. Hope you get a model you like, R.D. worldtalker, what is the longest time you've used the system you have? Is it comfortable using this over tanks and what's your average time underwater?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARTICLE I DID

caspr 1.jpg caspr 2.jpg caspr 3.jpg caspr 4.jpg caspr 5.jpg caspr 6.jpg caspr 7.jpg caspr 8.jpg

OP
OP
R.Danneskjold

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just reading that Casper.....awesome stuff! Waiting for a PM from your friend........

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Real nice write up Casper....:icon_thumright:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
How long does the gas model run on a tank of gas for one diver? I assume it's louder than the electric model? That's a good price on ebay and I would like to have one myself. I started a dive class last night and didn't really know how expensive the course would be. The basic course price is reasonable, but by the time you add the booties, snorkel, mask, fins and a few other items, I had sticker shock. This is my Christmas gift to myself and I believe I will get the money back with what I find in the river. Next is a drysuit and then a hookah. Most of my detecting will be in water from now on and I'm gearing up for this. Hope you get a model you like, R.D. worldtalker, what is the longest time you've used the system you have? Is it comfortable using this over tanks and what's your average time underwater?

4hrs.+,

I have no issues with noise,when the tanks are at pressure it goes from a fast idle to an idle,quiet as far as I'm concerned.

I've been down 4hrs.to 10ft.,average was 2 hrs.

God Bless

Chris

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a fun time, 5 hours for 2 divers is longer than I would have guessed. Could that fish been a baby ray? Glad diggingrings is back in the game, felt bad for his situation. Thanks for sharing, really want a Hookah.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
down time depends on the individual - if your at ease in the water taking your time - regulating your breathing - relax
you'll get more mins. - if you work fast and breathe heavy and fast - you'll use it up faster
this is more true with the electric ones

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
down time depends on the individual - if your at ease in the water taking your time - regulating your breathing - relax
you'll get more mins. - if you work fast and breathe heavy and fast - you'll use it up faster
this is more true with the electric ones

Underwater is a whole new world,relax,take in the sites!

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Casper, great article, never heard of SNUBA. Interesting. I use a Keene electrical hookah while scuba diving. I clip the hookah regulator to my BC and use it until it runs low on power then I use my tank regulator to get me through. For me, it is plenty and generally I do not use my tank of air. I could not agree more with you when you recommend taking a course. Great article though and thanks for sharing.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Octopump is my choice: Ultralight Dive Systems. Single person unit for under $1000 if you are on a budget like most of us are. Some TH'ers suggest that SCUBA lessons should be taken when using a Hookah. I went by Hal Watts Orlando store 30 years ago and ask the expert and Hal said No, it wasn't required because as a Hookah diver, you aren't dealing with decompression unless you dive deeper than 30 feet. Today, Hal runs the 40 Fathom Grotto: 40 Fathom Grotto . I never dove deeper than 20 feet and always breathe normal descending or ascending, just use common sense.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Octopump is my choice: Ultralight Dive Systems. Single person unit for under $1000 if you are on a budget like most of us are. Some TH'ers suggest that SCUBA lessons should be taken when using a Hookah. I went by Hal Watts Orlando store 30 years ago and ask the expert and Hal said No, it wasn't required because as a Hookah diver, you aren't dealing with decompression unless you dive deeper than 30 feet. Today, Hal runs the 40 Fathom Grotto: 40 Fathom Grotto . I never dove deeper than 20 feet and always breathe normal descending or ascending, just use common sense.

the Honda one Ultralight Dive Systems
is good for salt water - have a friend that recommends it - I own a keene electric - with battery - 150 lbs - works great - quieter than gas but
to heavy - will be looking into the Honda one next yr

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right about the breathing. I blew thru a tank of air and had to use my instructors regulator when I ran out. My main trouble was trying to control my bouyancy and this frustrated me and I didn't relax like I should. Heck of a hard day on someone who hasn't been to active. When I had to swim 3 laps in the pool, I thought I was gonna croak. If I hadn't swam on my back, I wouldn't have been able to do my 3 laps. I knew I was out of shape and hadn't been keeping up my walking program like I should, but yesterday was an eye opener for me. I told my instructor I need to get into better shape before taking my certification dive and he's a great guy. He said I could do another pool day before I get certified to refresh and he and the other 4 students were patient with me and helped me quite a bit. I never knew how much a neck and back injury could restrict my swimming and not walking everyday made a bad situation worse. It was a tough day, but thank God I made it through. When I blew through my air tank, the other students still had about a 1000 psi left in their tanks and our instructor who has made 5-600 dives had almost 2,000 psi in his left. He's completely relaxed in this environment and gave me his spare regulator the second I ran out of air. I still want a hookah, but will wait until I take my certification dive.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really aggravated my bad back at the pool last Saturday and haven't been able to do anything this week. I really wanted to do some dirt fishing, but couldn't even drive the 100 mile round trip Tuesday and won't be able to make it today. Thank goodness I can finish the lessons online. We've had some beautiful weather and I was looking forward to making some good finds at the river or some silver maybe, but it may be the 1st of the year before I get over my pool day. I could get the doctor to put some morphine in my back, but prefer to tough it out. Prayers requested..

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I purchased mine last week what I got was the keen engineering set up very light weight cost 11 hundred with out reserve tank and air lines. Ok the good part Keen has a newer design air pump 2 divers to 20 feet is what I've read on the web. I spoke with one prospector and he told me they were diving 30' two divers with it. I chose a Honda 2.5 horse motor. I've always liked Hondas for the low oil shut off won't burn up your motor. The name of the pump is the KAC1 I think. total weight around 27 pounds. I purchased mine through Jerry at Black Sheep mining in Sacramento.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One more thing that is very important. Between the compressor and the main air line install a reserve air tank like Keene Engineering sells. An old timer Hookah diver told me that when you are down deep, 20-30 feet and you just exhaled and tried to inhale and you were sucking on a dry regulator. If the motor runs out of gas or stalls and quits, you are screwed. You still have air in your lungs as you rise but not a lot. You'll probably come out of the water like a breaching whale. I took that advice and my old hookah had the belt come off or a fouled plug. The Reserve tank holds a few lungful of air and you notice right away as the air pressure is falling and you can rise normally without panic. A diving buddy of mine put a 5 gallon steel reserve tank on his and it held about 6 minutes of air. Mine was plastic and a lot lighter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread