INDIAN RIVER COUNTY

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beaches on this stretch of the coastline are well know for the 1715 plate fleet wrecks. Their is not one square inch of sand that a metal detector has not passed over. Many cobs, and escudos have been found after hurricanes, and nor'easters. The sand gets sucked, swept, removed, or whatever one wants to call it. Then it is replaced within a few days, by - you guessed it, MOTHER NATURE HERSELF. The problem seems to be those who have enough money to build multi-million dollar homes, condo's, etc want the rest of us to pay to protect their property, or invesment.
When Sandy "PASSED" by last year their was a swimming pool (those who know the area know what I am talking about, just south of disney) that is in front of a condo - right on the beach. All the sand was removed from underneith the pool. Only leaving the pillings holding it up. The dunes were impacted- yes their was eroision, but the pool was still full of water and in place. Homeowners, and condo owners lost their stairs leading from their residence to the beach, but no homes, or condos themselves were impacted. Remember this was a tropical storm when it passed by. The storm - till this day is referred as "SUPER STORM SANDY" when it made landfall with its huge storm surge up north. I fill very sad for those who lost their lives, and everything the surviors of sandy lost. Sandy was nowhere near andrew, gordan, erin , floyd, francis, charlie, jean, or the other's (not including the thanksgiving nor'easeaster which really removed sand off our beaches, and exposed all kinds of goodie's).
My point is nature takes care of herself, but we seem to have people who think they can fix it better than her. If one can afford to build 20 to 30 feet away from the high tide line, then that one can also afford to insure, and protect their own investment. Not the taxpayers of the county.
Below is a quote from a local newspaper:
"In the 13 months since, Indian River County Coastal Engineer James Gray has been working to get the money and permits needed to replace the sand that had been placed on beaches from John’s Island to Treasure Shores Park during the last ill-fated replenishment project."

These beaches (IRC) are not like daytona, cocoa, and miami. They are not packed full of people everyday. John's island to treasure shore's is no comparsion, just big money. The real question is who is James Gray, and how DEEP is he involved with the local residents to keep dumping sand on these beaches to protect investments only to SEA the money return to the SEA.
Not to mention the impact on sea turtles, and their nest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, you see wealthy landowners, but cities, counties & the state see revenues, jobs, etc. It's a lot like owning a home in today's market, maintaining it and improving it may just be a waste of money but a great portion of it still has to be done or the investment/attraction/equity will be slowly lost for sure. It's like running any business, "If you don't have the means to support it and maintain it then don't open it, because if you do open it it's a requirement to keep maintaining both if you want the business to continue to survive." Imagine what might very well begin to take root in the place if you just let these coastlines fall into ruin, even for a short period of time. Think of it as preventive maintenance, like changing the oil and rotating the tires on your car, etc.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Money talks...that's the reason homes, condos and motels will continue to be built on the waters edge and the same reason we will never see cheap gas again...money gets what it wants.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People get what they want.... money is the means...

OP
OP
tarpon192

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, you see wealthy landowners, but cities, counties & the state see revenues, jobs, etc. It's a lot like owning a home in today's market, maintaining it and improving it may just be a waste of money but a great portion of it still has to be done or the investment/attraction/equity will be slowly lost for sure. It's like running any business, "If you don't have the means to support it and maintain it then don't open it, because if you do open it it's a requirement to keep maintaining both if you want the business to continue to survive." Imagine what might very well begin to take root in the place if you just let these coastlines fall into ruin, even for a short period of time. Think of it as preventive maintenance, like changing the oil and rotating the tires on your car, etc.
The beaches here, and along the entire eastern seaboard have been taking care of themsleves for hundreds of years. I own a business, and have never expected any tax payer, or local government to help protect it.
Do you, or did you have any type of government job? Got a full pension (which is paid for by the tax payer) Look at Detroit-They can't afford to keep what was promised to all level's of government employee's who are retired.
Government didn't help me build my business, and it sure is hell not helping me to protect, preserve, or advance it what so ever. I built my own business, just like the beaches will build themselves.

OP
OP
tarpon192

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also change my own oil, and rotate the tires on all my vehicles.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beaches here, and along the entire eastern seaboard have been taking care of themsleves for hundreds of years. I own a business, and have never expected any tax payer, or local government to help protect it.
Do you, or did you have any type of government job? Got a full pension (which is paid for by the tax payer) Look at Detroit-They can't afford to keep what was promised to all level's of government employee's who are retired.
Government didn't help me build my business, and it sure is hell not helping me to protect, preserve, or advance it what so ever. I built my own business, just like the beaches will build themselves.

Wasn't suggesting likewise, only that the constant replenishing is a by product of a very large financial/economical system/structure in motion. Doesn't matter if it makes sense, or if it's efficient, or if as individuals we approve/disapprove of it.....but it is what it is. By the way, I get no pension, there's no government job or current or past history, and I've suffered my share of setbacks in life and my future is still largely uncertain, but I'm not bitter and don't place blame. Life is full of choices and opportunities and I alone have made my decisions and choices in life. If it all ends up badly for me then that's my fault, can't blame anyone else. :thumbsup:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at it this way..... those condominiums are storage facilities for wallets and bank accounts that bring money and inject it into our local economy.
The local government uses tax revenue to foot the bill for the beach replenishment just like a business owner has to pay for overhead before he can make a profit.
I don't think it's... People with a lot of money getting what they want its people who want a lot of money that will do anything to get it.(our local and state government)
This situation is a result of the sacrifice that was made when "Florida" decided tourism was going to be a larger income source then citrus and sugar.... I wish the days of pineapple plantations and prospering farms we're still here.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at it this way..... those condominiums are storage facilities for wallets and bank accounts that bring money and inject it into our local economy.
The local government uses tax revenue to foot the bill for the beach replenishment just like a business owner has to pay for overhead before he can make a profit.
I don't think it's... People with a lot of money getting what they want its people who want a lot of money that will do anything to get it.(our local and state government)
This situation is a result of the sacrifice that was made when "Florida" decided tourism was going to be a larger income source then citrus and sugar.... I wish the days of pineapple plantations and prospering farms we're still here.
Ive worked in the citrus industry for the last thirty years...your right.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We would have a much more stable economy

OP
OP
tarpon192

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever eat a pineapple from the bahama's? Way better then what we got here, and always will be.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You haven't tried the ones I grow.
Although the closest I think I got to eating a pineapple in the Bahamas was having it diced up in my fish taco

OP
OP
tarpon192

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You haven't tried the ones I grow.
Although the closest I think I got to eating a pineapple in the Bahamas was having it diced up in my fish taco
Damn gator, your quick. Was your fish taco prepared on one of the island's? I too grow pineapple's, but they are slow growing.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah there's a nice little stand by the water on Green Turtle Cay.
Yeah pineapples are slow but you get a new plant every time you get a fruit.
We used to go over there by boat haven't been there in a while actually haven't been since they changed the bag limits
Bottom fishing for grouper and snapper was phenomenal

OP
OP
tarpon192

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah there's a nice little stand by the water on Green Turtle Cay.
Yeah pineapples are slow but you get a new plant every time you get a fruit.
We used to go over there by boat haven't been there in a while actually haven't been since they changed the bag limits
Bottom fishing for grouper and snapper was phenomenal
Fishing over their is great, and always will be. Big big wahoo on the eastern side. Had a easy 100lb hoo bit in half right along side of the boat with two gaff's stuck in it by another hoo that was way bigger than it- Like a bolt of lightning. The regs put in place years back really hurt them, But they don't replenish their beaches. Maybe sandles does along with some other resorts. Lost many lures, and only reeled in the cable ahead of our torpeados many times, because the cable was either cut, or pulled out of the lead from the impact of the strike. Spearfishing on the patch reefs, lobster, and getting conch on the flats over their are a thing of the past for most floridian's. 20 lbs of bottom fish is a joke for boater's from florida. Along with the fuel prices, and if you don't have the correct amount ( say your fuel bill is $1213.89, and you give $1300.00) they don't even bring you change.
Need to stay on track about beach renourishment here in florida, and what a waste of money it is. Not to mention what is does to the sea turtles. I have numerous pictures of turtle eggs washed out of renourishment sand. I don't think those little guys can even dig through that hard packed sand once it get rained on a few times(the trucked in sand).
Gator, you ever meet Rosie?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! We better stay on track here I could go on forever about fishing.. Do you mean the owner of that place on Grand Cay? Straight east of Fort Pierce.. Basically?
If so no I never met the owner never stayed there.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you do in the citrus industry?
Me and my dad are contractors...we have a 25 man crew that harvests the citrus...I run the loader.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love oranges but cant stand the smell during the harvest time. You can smell orange for miles near the Tropicana plant.

I love it when I can smell the oranges from where I am it means the winds offshore.. I have a lot of great surfing memories that start with the smell of the oranges in the morning

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread