atexaspete

Greenie
Oct 16, 2013
VA
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II, ML X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just received my new (to me) EXCAL II with 10" coil. My preference would have been the 8" coil. Is there any way to change coils or modify the EXCAL to accept other coils? If so, which coil would be recommended in the 8" range (I still think I'd like to stay with a DD).
Thanks in advance for any info,
Mike

Upvote 0

saxon

Mar 10, 2013
MA
Detector(s) used
Excal II, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First thing to consider is the warranty. If it is still under warranty and you replace the coil yourself, you'll void the warranty. There are a lot of aftermarket coils for the Excal. You'd need to do a little wire work but you can do it.

OP
OP
A

atexaspete

Greenie
Oct 16, 2013
VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First thing to consider is the warranty. If it is still under warranty and you replace the coil yourself, you'll void the warranty. There are a lot of aftermarket coils for the Excal. You'd need to do a little wire work but you can do it.

I bought the machine used, but not sure it ever got used. There is not a scratch on it. That said, I don't think there is warranty left, so that isn't a concern.

saxon

Mar 10, 2013
MA
Detector(s) used
Excal II, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd call Minelab and have them check the serial number prior to modifying the coil.

The only aftermarket coil I've seen for the Excal is the 15" WOT (this gives added depth). There may be others but the hard wired coils on the Excals seem to have made it not as attractive to the aftermarket coil manufactures as other models.

If you don't mind me asking, why would you want a smaller coil? Are you hunting is trashy areas and looking to sharp shoot? You'll lose depth switching to the 8" coil.

OP
OP
A

atexaspete

Greenie
Oct 16, 2013
VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you don't mind me asking, why would you want a smaller coil? Are you hunting is trashy areas and looking to sharp shoot? You'll lose depth switching to the 8" coil.

I'm thinking I could handle less weight a little better. I may change my mind after I try it with the straight shaft, but my first impression with stock shaft and 10" coil is that I wouldn't last 2 hours swinging it.

Maybe you could answer another question I have (posted on the Minelab section as well). The knobs on mine are really "stiff" and difficult to adjust. Is that normal, or is there a way to lubricate them (silicone spray maybe)?

Mike

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes stiff knobs are normal! Just turn them slow and easy!
The straight shaft makes it a whole other machine! Light weight and balanced!
You will love it! I have the 3 PC. Carbon Fiber shaft from Rods-By-Plugger on eBay
and it has made using my Excalibur a joy to use!
Please add a knob guard to protect
those knobs and have a little protection when you need to set it down!
Best of Luck!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I myself would not use a silicone spray on the knobs as it may attract sand!
IMHO as always!

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Make a belt mount for the Excal and waist or chest mount the control box and buy or make a strait shaft. Very light and great machine.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice little coil setup I just finished for Butch in OC MD

OBN0105.jpg

Small 8oo coil, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Remote PP, Anderson Carbon Fiber Shaft, Hip Mounted... super lite

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Another nice Excal setup Joe. I need to try the grey ghost amphibians to see how they sound.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just received my new (to me) EXCAL II with 10" coil. My preference would have been the 8" coil. Is there any way to change coils or modify the EXCAL to accept other coils? If so, which coil would be recommended in the 8" range (I still think I'd like to stay with a DD). Thanks in advance for any info, Mike

OBN is on here and he's the man to seek out for excal modifications.
He's very knowledgable in coil swops, remote pinpoints, and earphones.
Hope this helps

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using the stock shaft or a custom straight shaft? If stock get rid of it now and get a straight shaft, it is the difference between night and day.

You can also use a harness, it makes a huge difference.

I wear a camelpac with water in it and attach the bungee to it and to my detector shaft, it supports the weight and you only guide the coil. I'm 65, one of my excal has the WOT coil and my other excal has a SEF 12"x15" Butterfly coil on it, I can hunt all day with either using this setup.

An added advantage to harness is I can let go of my detector and it hangs right at my side controls up, works nice when in water and need 2 hands on scoop due to deep hole.

Both excal have the new Amphibian headphones and they are great...

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

methevas2

Jan 10, 2013
The 15 inch coil i read up there sounds awesome! Im going to just use my 10 in. I lost one of the stickers attached to the machine so i said screw it. I guess I should be able to make my detector more "custom" without worrying ;)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is one of the Jersey Shore Hunters xcals

OBN0106.jpg
Gray Ghost Amphibians, Remote PP, SEF Coil 10 x 12,
Long Shaft, so it balances out....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could never go back to a 10 inch coil on my excals, I tried to use my 10 inch excal one day, after 2 hours I gave up and went back to my 15 inch WOT coil and I never used the 10 inch again, I had it taken off and had the 12x15 SEF hard wired into controls...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one of the Jersey Shore Hunters xcals

View attachment 915903
Gray Ghost Amphibians, Remote PP, SEF Coil 10 x 12,
Long Shaft, so it balances out....

Exactly like my setup...:thumbup:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Now THAT is a nice looking set up you have there.

tautog69

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2008
Delmarva
Detector(s) used
CZ20-21
Hey Joe it looks great and I cant wait to try it out but........you forgot the flame decals on the side of the controls.......lol.....Butch

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Joe it looks great and I cant wait to try it out but........you forgot the flame decals on the side of the controls.......lol.....Butch

Funny you would say that, they are on / off activated, you have to hit the Afterburner toogle....:laughing7:

OBN0071.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread