Got Caught!

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Got Caught!

I haven’t been out MD’ing in quite a while due to health problems and one thing after another. Mostly because I am getting real lazy in my old age. I heard that Hernando County was saying you have to have a permit to hunt in their parks now and that is a total bummer. I have been hunting those parks for about 12 years and NOW I have to have a permit? I asked permission years ago and I do have emails from the park director giving me permission to hunt ANY of the parks and thank heavens I kept them. So anyway this morning I got stopped by a park worker who told me I needed to fill out a form. I asked when all this started and he said he didn’t know but I have to have a permit from now on. I showed him my emails from the park director but he said I still have to have a permit from now on. **sigh** Well, it wasn’t a total bad day. This is the last hunt of the year for me and look what I found along with the usual pulltabs, nails, fish hook, can slaw and junk! A grand total of 28 cents, a pair of broken sunglasses, a metal of some kind AND a ring. Yippee that made the morning a little better. No markings of any kind on the ring but no tarnish on it at all and it does look like gold. I’m betting it is at least 10K. I have got to learn how to use this testing kit!

Happy New Year to all my friends on T-Net and I hope the new year is better than the last!

:unhappysmiley: I’m ready for 2014…. Bring it on!

Attachments

• 123113.jpg
    123113.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Ring 123113 2.JPG
    Ring 123113 2.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Pendant 123113.jpg
    Pendant 123113.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woo Hoo Mumzie. Nice to see you posting and out there getting the gold. It looks to be a lovely ring.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nice ring find Mumszie Let us know what grade it is when you test it.
It's getting so that now you will need a permit to do ANYTHING on all
the PUBLIC LANDS......everywhere.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG mums. Got a park around CWB that produced like crazy. Got the ok from parks dept to do so ... One day the :cross: (literally) grounds keeper showed up and ran me off, despite showing the email showing I was covered. Several phone calls between him and the
cross.png
with the city summed it up ... no can do. Bummer! Makes a fella wanna go on the weekends when their isn't any park staff around. Ha! The way it goes sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the ring. I'm sure it is gold.

The beauty to being a more seasoned adult is that you can get away with a little more mischief!

Happy new year and all the best in 2014!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
........... I asked when all this started and he said he didn’t know but I have to have a permit from now on. .......

Although he didn't know the evolution, I bet I know: Enough people, over the years go in asking "can we metal detect?" Then lo & behold, one day, some bureaucrat answers the greasy wheel with implementing a "permit". Sure beats the heck out of another frequent outcome of such greasy wheels: Out-right no's, and rules/policies against.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
WTG mums. Got a park around CWB that produced like crazy. Got the ok from parks dept to do so ... One day the :cross: (literally) grounds keeper showed up and ran me off, despite showing the email showing I was covered. Several phone calls between him and the:cross:with the city summed it up ... no can do. Bummer! Makes a fella wanna go on the weekends when their isn't any park staff around. Ha! The way it goes sometimes.

DewGuru, this is just a classic post! Because you see, just like you did: So many people feel better if they go talk to someone from the city, or park's dept, or a cop, or whatever, to "get permission" to detect. They find someone who tells them "sure, go ahead" (just like your permission, eh?). But lo & behold, the md'r get accosted by a busy-body gardener, or miss-lookie lou calls the cops, etc.... The md'r proudly whips out his "permission slip" thinking the busy-body will slink away embarassed at having questioned you. Right? But neeeeooooohhhh: The gardener merely gets on his cell-phone, calls down to city hall, and says: "but he's tearing the places up!" (Which isn't true, of course). Now ...... guess what happens to your permission? It is promptly revoked ! :icon_scratch:

So the solution is not always "permission" (at places that never had a specific rule/prohibition to begin with!). The solution is to have LESS visibility. Not MORE. Go at low traffic times (certainly that gardener cuts out at 5pm, right?). And avoid those type persons who might get their panties in a wad. Heck, it's gotten to where I hunt turfed parks at night nowadays. So peaceful . So serene. Is it because I think I'm doing something wrong? No. It's only because there's admitted connotations that you're NEVER going to get the entire world to "sign off on". So rather than think it's our obligation to run around and try to get everyone to love us, ......... instead just avoid such persons, from the git-go. Out of site is out of mind. If you want to call that "sneaking around" ? Fine then, I "sneak around" !

Last edited by a moderator:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad to hear you're hunting girl!

ya gotta stay actve,as you know.

God Bless you,I miss your posts.

Chris

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mumszie! Sure do miss your opinions and views (and your great finds, like the ring here). Hope the new year brings many more and a wonderful 2014!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on the ring find, Mumszie!

I wish you the best in 2014
Lorraine

Last edited:

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, you had a great day. I looked really close at the NC Spinners emblem, and googled it. At first I thought that it was some kind of penant from the early 1900's NC spinning mills. But it is a penant from one of the NC girls fast pitch college softball teams. How about that, .. it is a small world indeed.

Good for you!

Greg

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds on the ring. Glad you're getting out and finding something nice. Even if you have to get a permit, it's worth it.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Hey, you had a great day. I looked really close at the NC Spinners emblem, and googled it. At first I thought that it was some kind of penant from the early 1900's NC spinning mills. But it is a penant from one of the NC girls fast pitch college softball teams. How about that, .. it is a small world indeed.

Good for you!

Greg

Actually I googled it myself and found out the same thing. I had visions of maybe returning it but it got to be a hassle and since it isn't a valuable piece I figured why bother.

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft:WTG Mumszie,that is a very pretty ring so happy for you!!

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DewGuru, this is just a classic post! Because you see, just like you did: So many people feel better if they go talk to someone from the city, or park's dept, or a cop, or whatever, to "get permission" to detect. They find someone who tells them "sure, go ahead" (just like your permission, eh?). But lo & behold, the md'r get accosted by a busy-body gardener, or miss-lookie lou calls the cops, etc.... The md'r proudly whips out his "permission slip" thinking the busy-body will slink away embarassed at having questioned you. Right? But neeeeooooohhhh: The gardener merely gets on his cell-phone, calls down to city hall, and says: "but he's tearing the places up!" (Which isn't true, of course). Now ...... guess what happens to your permission? It is promptly revoked ! :icon_scratch:
So the solution is not always "permission" (at places that never had a specific rule/prohibition to begin with!). The solution is to have LESS visibility. Not MORE. Go at low traffic times (certainly that gardener cuts out at 5pm, right?). And avoid those type persons who might get their panties in a wad. Heck, it's gotten to where I hunt turfed parks at night nowadays. So peaceful . So serene. Is it because I think I'm doing something wrong? No. It's only because there's admitted connotations that you're NEVER going to get the entire world to "sign off on". So rather than think it's our obligation to run around and try to get everyone to love us, ......... instead just avoid such persons, from the git-go. Out of site is out of mind. If you want to call that "sneaking around" ? Fine then, I "sneak around" !

Try this: Get you a orange safety vest and a white hard hat, bet no one will say a word, also carry all the trash you find with you, show that to who ever asks, bet they would be happy to see you out there cleaning their park of pull tabs and broken glass

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ring, mumszie. You need to get that stone tested too!

( I hate it when these threads degenerate. same ole, same ole)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread