Time away from the hobby....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....been maybe a month since I've seen the beach, couldn't get it out of my mind, like I was experiencing serious withdraws and none of the distractions seemed to be working. So, about an hour before low tide finds me rushing around the place trying to quickly load the truck, which I somehow managed to do without forgetting anything. Anyway, I finally get to the beach and it's now raining dogs and cats, but don't really care because I'm going anyway, getting wet anyway, so what's it matter. So I drive the beach for a short spell looking for a likely spot but don't really see anything that excites me, don't matter cause I'm going out there anyway, I need a fix and one way or the other I'm going to get it, cause I gotta have it. It's that way with us junkies, eventually there comes a point in time when we're not going to be denied and I was at that point. A few minutes later I see a length of dark water, it appears fairly flat out there so in a matter of minutes I'm suited up, gear in hand, and off I go. And this is where it gets interesting.

The first thing I notice is that I've apparently either grown much liter or more buoyant over the last month, the relatively mild swells and currents pushing me around like a floundering ship. Took a little while to get use to it again. The second thing I noticed came with that first target, a bit of uncertainty in the unfamiliar tone. Had my headphones experienced some sort of change or had I experienced some type of hearing injury in the past month that I was even aware of? And why is my arm fatiguing so quickly - with only an eight-inch coil on the end of the stick? Good lord! What has happened during the past month that all of this is suddenly feeling so strange and a tad bit new to me? But, thirty minutes later it was all falling back into place for me again........"Thank God!" :laughing7:

Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your back!!!! thought you planned on being gone longer?

chuck.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your back!!!! thought you planned on being gone longer?

chuck.

I had planned on being gone longer but while I was up there a long desired opportunity arrived for me down here, my one son had already returned to Texas and the other son had to return to his daily duties, and on top of that it was going to get as cold as heck up there again, so.....here I am, back in the warm Florida saddle again and typing like crazy. :laughing7: But it was a good trip, very enjoyable and a productive trip. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Scoop,
Don't feel bad I never find gold anymore either!
No one loses any at my job!
Head BANG!

Man, I'll tell ya, my time at the beach was seriously slashed these past several months and it appears that it's maybe going to carryover for a while. :BangHead:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, I'll tell ya, my time at the beach was seriously slashed these past several months and it appears that it's maybe going to carryover for a while. :BangHead:

Sad but true around here as well!
S FL just isn't the same since the dredging!
It's still a great stress reliever though doing what we all love!

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hang in there,it will get better:hello:

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
's looking better out there today, hope the waves keep pounding the beach

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was just sort of funny, noticing all the little things that we generally take for granted when they're part of our typical routines. And I know there are a lot of hunters who feel that you should go whenever you can, but over the years I've just gotten to where I'd much rather wait and then go when the conditions/locations are more favorable, when the odds are in my favor a bit. Not had a lot of that in recent months so time better spent pursuing other things, at least for me anyway.

Last edited:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
It was just sort of funny, noticing all the little things that we generally take for granted when they're part of our typical routines. And I know there are a lot of hunters who feel that you should go whenever you can, but over the years I've just gotten to where I'd much rather wait and then go when the conditions/locations are more favorable, when the odds are in my favor a bit. Not had a lot of that in recent months so time better spent pursuing other things, at least for me anyway.

Scoop I think the conditions are around the corner. Im still a newb compared to all of you. Problem is I need to remember all those good cutting beaches I used to get slammed on riding the sponge. Who says you cant get concussions doing water sports. I know most of its sand but that sand can hurt. Well this hobby gives that same anticipation feeling when we all used to charge the surf. I used to get butterflies on the big days. Now that I md im getting twitches. Lol

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold? :laughing7: I didn't even find any silver or junk jewelry today.

How much soft sand did you find? LOL....last time I went we went to New Smyrna, may as well been hunting the Sahara desert.

Every time I go to N'.S. I swear never again but I still seem to hit N.S. and Flagler every year... I have found some gold and silver there just not enough to brag about....

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much soft sand did you find? LOL....last time I went we went to New Smyrna, may as well been hunting the Sahara desert.

Every time I go to N'.S. I swear never again but I still seem to hit N.S. and Flagler every year... I have found some gold and silver there just not enough to brag about....

It was like walking over tiny snow drifts on top of bigger snow drifts. :laughing7: People don't believe it when I tell them it's different here due to the surf and sand, etc., but this is probably the most difficult and challenging place I've ever experienced. When the conditions are right the hunting can be fantastic but these opportunities come few and far between and they seldom last very long, also very spotty. The deep soft sand is always on the move here, quickly swallowing up everything in its path. There are guys who think I'm overstating things, but most of these same guys simply refuse hunt these beaches. Hu.....:laughing7:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Scoop I think the conditions are around the corner. Im still a newb compared to all of you. Problem is I need to remember all those good cutting beaches I used to get slammed on riding the sponge. Who says you cant get concussions doing water sports. I know most of its sand but that sand can hurt. Well this hobby gives that same anticipation feeling when we all used to charge the surf. I used to get butterflies on the big days. Now that I md im getting twitches. Lol

The beach is ever changing, so are the places we choose.
Therefore we are all newbs some of us just get lucky at times and sometimes we are on the right beach at the right time!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was like walking over tiny snow drifts on top of bigger snow drifts. :laughing7: People don't believe it when I tell them it's different here due to the surf and sand, etc., but this is probably the most difficult and challenging place I've ever experienced. When the conditions are right the hunting can be fantastic but these opportunities come few and far between and they seldom last very long, also very spotty. The deep soft sand is always on the move here, quickly swallowing up everything in its path. There are guys who think I'm overstating things, but most of these same guys simply refuse hunt these beaches. Hu.....:laughing7:

Not overstating, east coast of Florida is constantly changing and I'm talking several feet not inches. The poles buried in sand to stop the traffic on the wet sands shows that. Some times the poles are 3 feet over my head next time there even with my head or eye level.....

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not overstating, east coast of Florida is constantly changing and I'm talking several feet not inches. The poles buried in sand to stop the traffic on the wet sands shows that. Some times the poles are 3 feet over my head next time there even with my head or eye level..... SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Stop it treasure hunter you're making me want to go hunting because of all this talk about feet worth of change, but I don't want to be out there in the cold tonight!
Just kidding! Lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread