To All My Beach Huinting Friends

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can clearly remember my youth, growing up in a middle class neighborhood on a hilly street in north central Indiana. The homes on that street were mostly the older two-story types, some made of brick while most were the older clapboard siding, white with black roofs and cozy front porches with swings surrounded by iron railing, a matching but simple garage that was accessed from the alley in back. I lived here until I was thirteen years old.

Our yard, like most yards, were fairly small, a narrow but steep slope in the front tapering to the concrete sidewalk, concrete steeps leading up to the porch. There was a small bit of yard at the left side of the house that I somehow managed to view as an entire football field, in the back only a slightly larger yard with two towering pine trees in the far corner that served as an entire Alaskan forest and mountain range. I can't tell you how many moose hunts and ram hunts took place there, my makeshift limb and string launching thin branches at Dudley, the family French poodle who was always so willing to play the roll of the day's big game animal, my aim being so poor that Dudley was always eager for any opportunity to chase my misguided sticks. Saturdays were always spent in front of the TV watching The Flying Fisherman and The American Sportsman, the little creek down the street my crystal clear mountain stream and those scrappy little creek chubs my beautiful cutthroat trout, another stick and a length of yarn waving back in forth in the air mimicking my perfected fly casting ability, a tiny colorful fly tied to the end of the yarn.

Back in those days I didn't have a metal detector but I did have one of those coin banks that was made to look like a small pirate's chest. As far as I can recall now that coin bank is still buried in that backyard somewhere, a Johnny West and a G. I. Joe buried somewhere as well after that terrible and paralyzing grizzly bear attack (Dudley) that occurred somewhere around 1969 or 1970. Just two more pirates whose lives eventually ended tragically as a result of their dangerous and adventuresome trade. It's amazing how simple life was back then, everything being so fresh and new and an entire world being explored within the confines of one's own back yard and neighborhood. But those were great days, even priceless days as they allowed me to follow my natural born instincts and sense of adventure before that unknown world around me, before the real world started to grab hold. It's so easy to loose sight of who we are as we start to enter the adult world, much too easy to lose ourselves as we try to forge our way through all those temptations and challenges that await us. So this new year do yourself and favor and take some time to reflect, and if need be make a genuine effort to reconnect to yourself again. Just now, at age 56, I've been spending hours online researching the possibility of actually going on a big game archery hunt somewhere. I think I owe it to myself. If only Dudley was still here to accompany me. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good imagery BigScoop! It reminded me so much of my years at that age which occurred 13 years later than yours, under very similar circumstances! Thanks for taking me back there amidst today's hustle, bustle and paying the bills! By all means take that now hunting trip, you deserve it!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait, BigScoop has friends??? :thumbsup:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bravo!
Well written.
I actually got sad about Dudly there at the end.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do it now or you will regret it the rest of your life. I bet there are a lot of us that wish we could go back to our childhood home and M.D.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So, help my feeble mind.... was Gadabout Gaddus the Flying Fisherman or was that yet another fishing show???? Inquiring (old) mind needs to know.
Go for that big game hunt, time is flying by!

Cliff

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, help my feeble mind.... was Gadabout Gaddus the Flying Fisherman or was that yet another fishing show???? Inquiring (old) mind needs to know.
Go for that big game hunt, time is flying by!

Cliff

You nailed it! Gadabout Gaddus....:thumbsup: Looking into a big game hunt but there is so much to consider and then arrange, etc. At this point I'm still trying to determine what it really is that I want from the experience, etc., though I am in the market for either a new or used take down bow already, figuring that once I commit to that then the adventure simply has to follow! :laughing7: A lot like buying a new detector......for sure it's going to see some use.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You nailed it! Gadabout Gaddus....:thumbsup: Looking into a big game hunt but there is so much to consider and then arrange, etc. At this point I'm still trying to determine what it really is that I want from the experience, etc., though I am in the market for either a new or used take down bow already, figuring that once I commit to that then the adventure simply has to follow! :laughing7: A lot like buying a new detector......for sure it's going to see some use.

IF you should decide that the hunt needs to be in Africa, send me a PM, I have a friend that is an African guide. I can give you contact information.
Cliff

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you should decide that the hunt needs to be in Africa, send me a PM, I have a friend that is an African guide. I can give you contact information.
Cliff

Wow! Wasn't exactly thinking in those terms. That would be a whole different world and require a whole different plan, for sure, not to mention that I haven't hit the lottery yet. :laughing7: But just the adventure alone sounds fabulous.:thumbsup: Thanks. I'll keep it in mind.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
from one creative and talented hoosier to another, well done!!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from one creative and talented hoosier to another, well done!!

Was just through Indy, twice, before and after Christmas. Was that you I saw at 465 north at rush hour faking that flat tire and blocking the 69 on ramp? :laughing7:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
was I wearing my thong only? ( yeppers)

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't mind getting back into deer hunting around here, not exactly big game but I do miss it!

chuck.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't mind getting back into deer hunting around here, not exactly big game but I do miss it!

chuck.

:laughing7:....the first time I saw the size of the deer down here I was thinking that surely the mothers had to be somewhere around with so many fawns in a group like that. Do you hunt them with BB guns? :laughing7: But seriously, I wouldn't mind doing some of that down here, maybe even a hog hunt as well. One thing though, if I'm not planning on eating it then I have no interest in killing it.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:....the first time I saw the size of the deer down here I was thinking that surely the mothers had to be somewhere around with so many fawns in a group like that. Do you hunt them with BB guns? :laughing7: But seriously, I wouldn't mind doing some of that down here, maybe even a hog hunt as well. One thing though, if I'm not planning on eating it then I have no interest in killing it.

yea, im from ohio ,........huge deer!!!

chuck.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, Mr. big scoop. I know that town and those houses so close together with their cozy porches and old time designs. I am a few years older than you but I grew up in southern Indiana and fondly remember all those images you painted so well in your story. Spending the whole day out and about on my bicycle, collecting pop bottles from the parks and schools and trading them in at the local IGA for deposits. And then going to the Tastee Freeze with the money. 10 years old and my parents had no idea where we were all day. My Dad would say, 'I don't care where you go but if you're not back by supper you'll never see that bike again". Believe me I was always back by supper! Kids can't do that nowadays. Buy the time we were teenagers, muscle cars started showing up on used car lots, and a part time job could buy a kid one. My bicycle gave way to a hot rod first generation Camaro, my teenage sweetheart, and a two-lane blacktop that would take us anywhere. That was nearly 40 years ago and it is still the closest thing to true freedom I have ever known.

After the Civil War, Oliver Wendall Holmes said of his generation, "In our youths our hearts were touched with fire". This might be pretentious of me to say but in our youths, "Our hearts were touched with freedom".

Man, plan that archery hunt and get going! And more after that! I sold my Camaro, but I married my teenage sweetheart and we're still going after nearly 40 years together. And we still take to that two lane blacktop every chance we get, (with a Subaru and a canoe, though, not a hot rod anymore). Last trip we took was hiking Pictured Rocks National lakeshore, Michigan...the young folks pass us by on the trail and say, "Wow, hope were still out here hiking when we're you guy's age...of course they think 60 is way older than it is, but we'll take the compliment anyway. One day we might not be so lucky, and some day one of us will be alone, and those memories will be precious things...

In the movie "American Graffiti" Wolfman Jack said, "There is a great big beautiful world out there so get your a-- in gear!"

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Mr. big scoop. I know that town and those houses so close together with their cozy porches and old time designs. I am a few years older than you but I grew up in southern Indiana and fondly remember all those images you painted so well in your story. Spending the whole day out and about on my bicycle, collecting pop bottles from the parks and schools and trading them in at the local IGA for deposits. And then going to the Tastee Freeze with the money. 10 years old and my parents had no idea where we were all day. My Dad would say, 'I don't care where you go but if you're not back by supper you'll never see that bike again". Believe me I was always back by supper! Kids can't do that nowadays. Buy the time we were teenagers, muscle cars started showing up on used car lots, and a part time job could buy a kid one. My bicycle gave way to a hot rod first generation Camaro, my teenage sweetheart, and a two-lane blacktop that would take us anywhere. That was nearly 40 years ago and it is still the closest thing to true freedom I have ever known.

After the Civil War, Oliver Wendall Holmes said of his generation, "In our youths our hearts were touched with fire". This might be pretentious of me to say but in our youths, "Our hearts were touched with freedom".

Man, plan that archery hunt and get going! And more after that! I sold my Camaro, but I married my teenage sweetheart and we're still going after nearly 40 years together. And we still take to that two lane blacktop every chance we get, (with a Subaru and a canoe, though, not a hot rod anymore). Last trip we took was hiking Pictured Rocks National lakeshore, Michigan...the young folks pass us by on the trail and say, "Wow, hope were still out here hiking when we're you guy's age...of course they think 60 is way older than it is, but we'll take the compliment anyway. One day we might not be so lucky, and some day one of us will be alone, and those memories will be precious things...

In the movie "American Graffiti" Wolfman Jack said, "There is a great big beautiful world out there so get your a-- in gear!"

It's nice to hear from folks who have managed to stay connected. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a new movie out, "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" and I highly recommend that people go see it. I'm not usually a big Ben Stiller fan but this one touches upon the subject discussed here and you will walk away from this movie wondering what you've been doing with your life, or perhaps, what life has managed to do to you. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread