Getting my first sand scoop...handheld or long handle?

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking at something along the RTG line and want to keep it under $100 bucks. I will only be visiting beach sites a few times a year (maybe half a dozen) and was wondering if a handheld will do just fine for a few hours, 4-5 days at the beach. Are the long handle models really that much more efficient and easy to use than a handheld...even for casual use?

Thanks for your opinions.

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SoCalBeachScanner,

I missed the part in his first post where he said under $100. I suggested the RTG style because he specifically said something along the lines of RTG. As for his use for it, I wasn't sure if he wanted dry, wet, or surf. In any case I really enjoy using my step on scoop in the dry sand. I find that pull to you style scoops are awkward and clumsy feeling when the target is somewhat deep. It just seems so much more natural to step on the back end of the scoop.

I do agree that it takes forever to try and sift the sand out of the scoop. The solution I have found for this is to just check for an area next to it and dump the sand out. This lets me go through the basket much quicker then even the pull to you style scoop.

The great thing about this hobby is that everyone has their own way of doing things! I have come to realize after a few years of reading here that people really do have their own unique way of getting their coil out there. The way I see it, as long as it works for you and there is gold in the scoop.. more power to you! :)
You are right, that's exactly how you use a long handled RTG in the dry sand, much faster than sifting with a pull toward you scoop. I also agree that everyone likes different methods and different scoops....the majority of experienced detectorist use long handle, step on scoops.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kinda what I thought Lookingdown, but what do we know, because even up in dry sand area the sand a few inches down is damp enough that it doesn't sift very easily. Just scoop, toss, re-scan hole.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kinda what I thought Lookingdown, but what do we know, because even up in dry sand area the sand a few inches down is damp enough that it doesn't sift very easily. Just scoop, toss, re-scan hole.
Exactly.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Okay, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Now which long handle scoop pictured below would drain the sand faster?

A can with holes in it or a stainless mesh? No need to shake dry sand and minimal shaking with moist sand with a wire mesh scoop. It was difficult to find a photo of the bottom of a scoop with holes drilled in it. Maybe it's because the manufacture does not want to to see it because you might figure out the sand will not drain well without shaking.

And why would you want to lug around a step on a scoop in DRY SAND, dump the sand and then scan again. When just one or two quick swings of a long handled light weight (less then 2-pounds) mesh scoop, grab your target out of the basket, and your on your way.

Untitled.jpg -- P1040669.JPG

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Now which long handle scoop pictured below would drain the sand faster?

A can with holes in it or a stainless mesh? No need to shake dry sand and minimal shaking with moist sand with a wire mesh scoop. It was difficult to find a photo of the bottom of a scoop with holes drilled in it. Maybe it's because the manufacture does not want to to see it because you might figure out the sand will not drain well without shaking.

And why would you want to lug around a step on a scoop in DRY SAND, dump the sand and then scan again. When just one or two quick swings of a long handled light weight (less then 2-pounds) mesh scoop, grab your target out of the basket, and your on your way.

View attachment 949754 -- View attachment 949755 [/QUOTE ]Because our method is easier for us than the way you do it...There is no right and wrong way, do whats best for you...you seemed like you got upset when people posted after your suggestion and recommended long handled scoops...were not putting down your methods, so why do you insist on putting down ours?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T-Rex makes a good wet and dry sand scoop also if anyone's interested in quicker delivery. That's a funny looking Stavr with the big square wire mesh bottom.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Sorry lookindown ... I wasn't putting down your method of scooping and I'm anything but upset :)

My hunting time is valuable to me and I've played around with different methods of speeding up the process. And I've found that a swing type scoop with a long handle and mesh screen is a very fast and effective way to speed up the digging process in dry sand.

So that is why I suggested to the poster of this thread a great scoop to maximize his minimal hunting time in the dry sand at a very low cost.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem...that wire mesh scoop looks like it would do a great job in dry sand.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T-Rex makes a good wet and dry sand scoop also if anyone's interested in quicker delivery. That's a funny looking Stavr with the big square wire mesh bottom.

Hey Fletch88,

What are you talking about?

Earlier in this thread I mention the STAVR type scoop as being a better more effective step-on type scoop over a can scoop with holes in it for water and surf hunting. Because the sand slides out easier of the wide open design and drains through the stainless stamped mesh better.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I misunderstood which scoop he was buying. It's all good everyone enjoy their Sunday afternoon! HH

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I use this like a madman. 15 months of hard use. One reweild job. Its a beast. It's my modern day sword. Yarrrrrrr

ForumRunner_20140223_145443.png

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are we allowed to mention a scoop we may have for sale here?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread