Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This last wkend was absolutely beautiful and perfect for a river hunt! Spent about 3hrs in b4 I called it quits because of the chilly water. Scored the w.b. in the first 45 minutes of the hunt and as I was exiting the river got the cross. Almost stayed longer but my hands were numb and stinging. Stopped at a tot lot and cleaned it of its change(added to last wks) gave me a total of just over $14. The SBA was a nice surprise. My trash included a few pairs of prescription glasses and the usual. Sunset was taken just b4 I got to the house. Thanks for looking!
jenupu6e.jpg
ebagasyj.jpg
nesusybe.jpg
7upe7y3a.jpg
su2uruza.jpg
9ute5eqy.jpg

Upvote 0

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice going.
Your ratio of trash to keepers seems very low, maybe that's typical of river hunting.
:occasion14:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to teach me to do this????? Please.

OP
OP
detectahead

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going.
Your ratio of trash to keepers seems very low, maybe that's typical of river hunting.
:occasion14:

When it rains it turns the river into a raging monster. If it's loose or lite in weight it's gone!

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beautiful sunset and a GREAT day of hunting! I am sure the water was a little chilly. In fact I would think it would be chilly in the summer, it is probably Really COLD in February..... Okay, I understand ocean beach hunting, look for cuts, follow the crowd, etc. And Lake hunting, things probably don't move from where they are dropped, so look where people swim. BUT River hunting looks like a game all by itself. That river is moving fast!! I guess people tube on the river, I didn't see any place deep enough to swim in the photo. Do you look where people are tubing or do you look 1/2 mile down stream? Do you move rocks around, or just hunt around the rocks with a small coil?? Since you seem to be successful from the treasures you have posted in the past, any pointers would be appreciated, who knows, I might actually take that retirement trip around the country and come across a river worth hunting. Thanks and happy hunting to ya. Beach Papa

OP
OP
detectahead

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful sunset and a GREAT day of hunting! I am sure the water was a little chilly. In fact I would think it would be chilly in the summer, it is probably Really COLD in February..... Okay, I understand ocean beach hunting, look for cuts, follow the crowd, etc. And Lake hunting, things probably don't move from where they are dropped, so look where people swim. BUT River hunting looks like a game all by itself. That river is moving fast!! I guess people tube on the river, I didn't see any place deep enough to swim in the photo. Do you look where people are tubing or do you look 1/2 mile down stream? Do you move rocks around, or just hunt around the rocks with a small coil?? Since you seem to be successful from the treasures you have posted in the past, any pointers would be appreciated, who knows, I might actually take that retirement trip around the country and come across a river worth hunting. Thanks and happy hunting to ya. Beach Papa

Hey BP, thanks for the reply. Yea it's frig n cold alrite! Lol. People maneuver around the rocks with there bare hands and with the water cold(like u said even in summer) hands shrink and off the finger it goes. I wear leg waders(walmart) gloves and a pry bar. Curved on one end and straight on the other. U can pry and dig with this and it's also my regular digging tool. The heck with the other name brand digger. I wore one of them out in less than a year hope this helps. More questions just ask. B more than happy to answer.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
DH, Thanks for the prompt and courteous and informative reply. So do you get a signal and then move the rock or move the rock and then get a signal???

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice treasure and that water looks clean n cold!! I was out just north of you (Annapolis) and I would recommend some gauntlet gloves. I just made some with an old drysuit I had but you can buy them. The reason I made them is because the red ones in the video things are hard to grasp with your fingers but the new ones I just finished are like using your bare hands....My water temps were 36 but the air was 57, the big factor for me is it can be in the high 30's just as long as the wind is not bad.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
haha man, you kill me, another crazy cool invention, wish i could copy and paste your brain!!

Nice treasure and that water looks clean n cold!! I was out just north of you (Annapolis) and I would recommend some gauntlet gloves. I just made some with an old drysuit I had but you can buy them. The reason I made them is because the red ones in the video things are hard to grasp with your fingers but the new ones I just finished are like using your bare hands....My water temps were 36 but the air was 57, the big factor for me is it can be in the high 30's just as long as the wind is not bad.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
wish i could copy and paste your brain!!

Thanks RUXPIN, Not much there to copy and paste buddy. Some of the idea's comes from you guys here on the forums, and some I just think....There has to be a better way....:icon_scratch:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Gorgeous photos, detectahead...and equally gorgeous finds!:notworthy:

The coin count is impressive!

Nice goin'!

Lorraine

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you posting again...nice heavy band...congrats.

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
That is a fantastic hunt you had there. Gold is well worth some cold fingers any day in my book! Hope your luck continues.

OP
OP
detectahead

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I really like the idea. But my way requires u dig by hand with the help of the flatbar. I don't use a scoop for the bottom of the river is rocky and u would never be able to use it. With that being said I use leather gloves for they last longer. I would shred those gloves in no time because of the gravel and sharp rocks. I usually go thru 2 to 3 coil covers during the season alone. The water I'm in is usually no more than knee deep or less.

OP
OP
detectahead

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the draw to the river? It doesnt seem like swimming or tubing so is it just fishing?

Thousands go down this river during the summer. And I mean thousands!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions