Where is the best saltwater hunting grounds

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have been living over seas and will be relocating back to mainland. Just where is the best salt water hunting in the US? Not that expect folks to give up there locations or anything :) I was originally from Nebraska so not a lot of salt water beaches in the area.

Cory

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cory, after what all you've found in the last 6 months over there, I'm afraid that nowhere on the mainland will compare. At least not where I hunt.

Walt

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, thanks fletch

Cory

icurabeachguy

Greenie
May 31, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 8"
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cory, I'd have to agree with Fletch...those finds are pretty amazing for the short amount of time, it's like you're searching a jewelry box! I'd have to say though...the finds from Japan and South Africa seem to consistently amaze me, aside from yours. Florida guys also find some nice stuff, but seem to work alot harder for theirs.

Where and when do you plan to relocate?...how much more time do we have to drool over your finds? :notworthy:

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks icura. Proud will have to put up with it for a year or two yet. I'm heading to near by tourist island that is relatively unhit. Hopefully I can give ya something to drool about.

Cory

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sorry to hear you are leaving the Glory Hole. I do love Agana and Tumon Bay, but for the weather well that is another story. As you have probably found 90% of lost items are within the first 5 feet of water. The first problem to overcome is the access to the area, then the population and area they tend to congragate at. Nebraska does not have as many beaches as other states. If you ever make it out to the New England states, let me know and I will share my "SECRET" list of over 600 beaches. As hard as I try, I can not get to all of them each year. Too many targets to dig, too little time.
Best of luck where ever you move to. Good luck on the - nearby island.

EAGLELV

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to get on the next plane to Hawaii, pack extra batteries as you will run out of juice before you run out of targets! I spent 18 years on Oahu, 14 of them detecting, I used to log my finds under "Caveman" on all the sites and I found dozens of gold rings...thanks to the tens of thousands of tourists that have come to the islands over the last 100 years and a little bit of sun tan lotion, those targets are replaced daily. My detectors were paid for several times over, there used to be a MD dealer out there named Dale Rolfe who pulled in over 200 gold rings a year, his finds were amazing! Go west young man..you wont be disappointed!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Bejamble, to answer your question on the best salt water beaches in the USA: Some rules of thumb I've found to be consistently true, for when it comes to RING ratios. Ie.: rings to coins and other targets:

a) warm water beaches. If the water is warm enough to swim, and lots of people go into the water (without neoprene wet suits), then the ring ratio goes way up. Where I'm at in CA, not many people go in the water past their knees, since the waters are simply too cold. However, further south (say, south of the Santa Barbara line), the tropical currents keep the waters warm enough that you can swim w/o a wetsuit, most of the year. Where I'm at, perhaps only a single month of the year, and only then-so following long hot spells, and only on a single few shallower beaches, can you enter the water without turning blue :) Thus the southern CA guys seem to get the higher ring ratios. This same phenomenom would hold true for other states waters.

b) tourists versus "locals only" feel. If the beach is more of a locals feel (dog walkers, joggers, etc...) then ring ratio drops. But if it's got hotels, restaurants, and lots of out-of-town folk-tourist draw, then the ring ratios increase.

c) Honey-moon tourism draws: If the location is not only a draw for travellers and out-of-towners, but specifically honey-mooning destinations, then add another plus to ring ratios. Because someone who's just gotten married, is theoretically wearing their rings for the first time. Hence not used to it yet (size-fitted properly, and so forth, not accustomed to the feel yet, etc...).

d) demographics of affluence: If the type tourists tend to be more upscale (golfing destinations, high-brow expensive destinations), then seems jewelry ratios also go up. As opposed to low-budget "motel 6" type hotels dotting a beach-side. Or even if not affecting the ring -ratio, can certainly affect the caliber/value of the ring types, eh?

e) lack of other hunter competition. Obviously if not a lot of persons are into the hobby in a given locale, well ... then .... targets will accumulate more over time.

Hey, and if you think of it, Hawaii seems to score on all those counts, eh? Except for the last point, haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post tom :) I am thinking about hitting Hawaii for a long weekend. Always wanted to hit hunt there. Lived there 3 years but didn't detect at that time unfortunately.

Cory

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive done good in Fla, waters on my vacays