Trash to treasure ratio

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how much trash you guya dig in order to find keepers but he is what I have found. I have a 5 gallon bucket full of trash for about 65 rings and a few chains. Is this similiar to what your environment is? (Second photo is the first photo with the cans and larger junk removed)

jaby5evy.jpg
y8a2ahat.jpg

http://www.diglogs.com/forumBanner....jJehEHd8012nHyeHsajeyHDesuhfnsegfh2w73889243f

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trash to treasure ratio of course will vary with the location and amount of disc used. Many hunters use to much disc and not only lose depth but lots of white gold which is low conductivity. More white gold rings have ice.

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point about the white gold. I run my CTX wide open and dig everything but iron. I cant tell you how many times I have pulled gold/plat that rang up exactly as a pull tab. Chains sound like cans. Sterling silver zippo I swore was a can as well. Its more work digging all but thats what it takes. Over 110 grams of gold and 50 grams of plat and many were in the pull tab range. I skip nothing now.

http://www.diglogs.com/forumBanner....jJehEHd8012nHyeHsajeyHDesuhfnsegfh2w73889243f

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old addage again rings true ... He who digs the most, finds the most. Always has, always will. Nice looting!

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
SERIOUS question I hope to get answered without too much snark from our fantastically sarcastic t-hunters here (sarcasm is a sign of intelligence so I regard my characterization of t-hunt as complimentary ;)

I've only been at this a couple of years and have not been out much for the last year for a variety of reasons so my field experience with my AT Pro is maybe 3 dozen times with about 2 hours average each time and still - STILL - I sometimes long for my first detector, the one chosen by so many 1st timers, the BH IV. It was simple! If it beeped, I dug it! And SO MANY of us suggest "If it beeps, dig it." "Dig EVERYTHING." So my question is... WHY SPEND THE MONEY on a fancy detector if you're going to dig everything anyway? I mean... I'm serious here! Please - try to restrain yourselves!

I get it. I get that sometimes you want depth info, maybe some info on how it "sounds" as to what it is, but the OVERWHELMING advice to new diggers from the old-timers here again and again is to DIG EVERYTHING... So?

Gang?

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many people subscribe to the mantra of "It costs more, it's better" -- it simply ain't so. Metal detectors were designed to do 1 thing, find metal. They all do precisely that. Time and time again you hear of people saying "it sounded like this" "it sounded like that". Garbage sounds like gold. Gold sounds like garbage. Fact is, when you skip over something, you left it for someone else. You'll never know what it was, or may have been, despite what those "purdy" machines want to tell you. I've had pals who have switched from those "it cost more, so its the best" machines, right down to the bottom of the totem pole. Why? The basics.... Machine go beep, make hole. He who digs the most, finds the most.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent question. Target seperation is a big factor. I dont dig iron on the beach but there are times when iron can be scattered and good targets are in with the iron. The CTX will not catch every target but is better than most In my for this type of hunting. More coil selections on higher end machines. Generally they get more depth. More bells and whistles. One thing is true. They all detect metal. I'm still learning as well but have many hours in my short time. Guessing 8-20 hours per week. Some of the veterans feel free to chime in.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You trash looks like what I dig in a season but I don't get anywhere close to 65 rings!

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been doing this long either but i have learned my ATP and being primarily a beach hunter, i set it to Pro/Zero/40. I wont dig the iron and the ATP is absolutely amazing at identifying bottle caps....unless they are real rusty. Now the pull tabs always get me, 53 on the VDI but i always dig them. Every day is a learning experience and i am having the time of my life.

Oh and the Iron Audio is a great tool when you are having doubts. :)

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
AnnieF: Simple answer...usually means more money than brains. Fortunately I don't have that problem.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent topic. Here's my two cents. First, on my area beaches, the amount of trash I may have to sort through largely depends on how badly the beach sand has been turned over. In the winter, for instance, there is typically a lot more trash, this being due to a change in the winter currents, etc., the sand thus being stripped and redistributed. However, I find "a lot" more gold during this period for the same reason. So, as you can see, not all beaches are the same, some never seeing this much soft summer buildup and winter stripping, on my area beaches it is routine.

As for the PI VS VLF subject.....here again this is mostly situational depending on the conditions encountered. All I can say is be careful what you read on this subject. Over the years there has been "a lot" of beach booty recovered with VLF machines and some of them are well-suited to the task without fear of missing much of anything of real value. My area beaches have always been routinely pounded with/by resident PI users and there are still "a lot" of good targets to be found on the beach when conditions are right. I've hunted behind PI's, CTX's, Sov's, CZ's, and most every other machine and still found goodies left in their wake, but, they have done the same to me as well. Always been this way, always will be. No two hunters are alike, none of these machines hunt the same, especially true when under the command of individual user control. PI's have their advantages and disadvantages, VLF's have their advantages and disadvantages, and they can both hunt deep and sensitive.

"Trash to good target ratio?" Honestly, just way too many variables to consider.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SERIOUS question I hope to get answered without too much snark from our fantastically sarcastic t-hunters here (sarcasm is a sign of intelligence so I regard my characterization of t-hunt as complimentary ;)

I've only been at this a couple of years and have not been out much for the last year for a variety of reasons so my field experience with my AT Pro is maybe 3 dozen times with about 2 hours average each time and still - STILL - I sometimes long for my first detector, the one chosen by so many 1st timers, the BH IV. It was simple! If it beeped, I dug it! And SO MANY of us suggest "If it beeps, dig it." "Dig EVERYTHING." So my question is... WHY SPEND THE MONEY on a fancy detector if you're going to dig everything anyway? I mean... I'm serious here! Please - try to restrain yourselves!

I get it. I get that sometimes you want depth info, maybe some info on how it "sounds" as to what it is, but the OVERWHELMING advice to new diggers from the old-timers here again and again is to DIG EVERYTHING... So?

Gang?

The answer here is to get a detector made for hunting the areas you hunt. You are still longing for your first detector because you haven't yet learned your AT-Pro. You are right that when hunting a beach, it's best to "dig it all", but sometimes thats not an option. Sometimes you want as much visual or tonal information as possible before deciding whether to dig or not.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gang?

What you're saying is exactly why my primary machine is a $650.00 Sea Hunter MK II. A PI machine that is turn on and go and if it beeps I dig it. I have an Excal II that I acquired at a REALLY great deal. It is my back up machine. However that being said. I hunt very clean beaches. I think when I relocate the Excal II may become the primary and the SH gets to relax in the closet.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dig all your juice or you'll never know what you just passed by...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bejamble- would you send pics of you trash to [email protected] it's the e-mail of the guy that's trying to stop them from banning MD'ing on Massachusetts DCR beaches.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better yet:

Notify the Newspapers, to take pictures then put several trash cans, which he has to go by to get to his office and fill them with the trash and filth you find on DCR Beaches in Mass. I am sure you will find more than enough trash on these beaches so you don't have to cheat when you stuff these ballot boxes. Please no overflows - The gauntlet must look neat and tidy.

If you don't have time to drive to his office, you can always mail in your trash ballots in convenient mail anything in a given size box at the post office. :smileinbox:

Be sure to declare what is inside before mailing.
Please do not send any unexploded ordinance, unsanitary items, or dead critters found the beaches he regulates.
Of course you know I am just kidding! :angry4:

Bejamble- would you send pics of you trash to [email protected] it's the e-mail of the guy that's trying to stop them from banning MD'ing on Massachusetts DCR beaches.

Last edited:

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There-

Just saw your photo stream. You are killing it- amazing finds. Well done. hh
Rory

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cory, your ratio is much better than over here in the states. It's been 2 months since I've smelled saltwater surf and it's starting to get to me!

I looked back through our PM's and can't believe how well you've done since Nov 2013 and on top of that had to send your machine in for service taking away from actual hunting time. Congrats on an awesome first 6 months!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread