Whites MXT beach coil

VintageRod

Apr 27, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to detecting, have done a little around home.

I am at the beach in Florida and trying to dial in my Whites MXT. I have a 950 coil.
I placed a few coins in the fairly dry sand at different depths.
The best I could find were coins at 4 inches. Below that I heard nothing, not even trash.
is that normal? Is the machine working right, as I bought it used?

When I went out, all I found was aluminum scrap, probably due to Relic mode.
Coin mode would clean that up.

So what can I do for more depth?
I am near Kellyco in Florida.
Can they quick look over the unit to make sure all is fine before I buy another coil.

So now to coils. Is there a good coil for depth and beach work?
Some say DD coils are no good near salt, but I see video of people with a 10 DD finding coins deep.
I might want a coil that might also find small nuggets in CO or AZ.
Is there one that will work the beach and nuggets, or am I just asking for too much?
I thought I was between a 10 DD and a 6x10 DD, but not sure.

Any help?

Upvote 0

fllawboy

Feb 19, 2008
Weston, Florida
Detector(s) used
White MXT/Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hunted with my MXT in Florida I used the DD Coils (6x10 and 14) I also used the the super 12. The stock coil worked, but at times I found it did not give me as great of depth as the DD or Super 12. I used the coin and jewelry mode. The MXT did ok in the wet sand, some times had falsing issues, but figured that out quickly and made adjustments. In the dry sand it did very well, found my first gold ring with the MXT. The key is to work the beach slowly and frankly dig everything so you can start to understand the machine better and what it is telling you. It is a great machine. Also, I would suggest picking up The MXT Edge, by Jeff Foster, great book really helped with the learning curve. Hope this helps!

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like something's wrong , you should be able to get a quarter at least double that depth , I'm sure ( kellyco ) or any shop will let you try a used coil to see if that's the prob, did the machine work before you went to Florida?

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using the salt mode? Ive used my mxt on dry and wet sand with stock coil and was getting quarters at 12" inches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread