Strain Relief on Excalibur Headphone Cable - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Strain Relief on Excalibur Headphone Cable

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Maryland Waters
    "Excalibur".. "AQ" coming..
    6195 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    good to know, you do repairs! I've been lucky with mine except for 1 knob and now I have the ctx ( still learning that) only 1 water hunt so far but I'm really happy with my land hunts !
    Really there are a lot of excaliburs out there and the one's having problems is small compared to what is in use.

Just got a CTX myself, just for setting up a good set of water proof headphones for it, what's offered is not all that as far as audio....afraid to take in the water, but will have to once I get some made for testing...
    Sir Gala Clad and leprechaun like this.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
    2020......Gold Rings....57...Misc Gold 1...Silvers ...53

Oct 2013
    Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
    183 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I don't use the koss phones either I've been a solid grey ghost user for 10 years ! I would say they where the best there is (until I bought a pair of whites pro star for my girlfriend , 50-) they are identical to another pair sold by detector pro! So there either manufactured by detector pro - or whites sourced the same manufacturer there really comfortable and the audio is killer,dual volume controll , I bought a second set for me the ghost are backups,

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    1151 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    I had a pair fail like that just a few months after purchase. Its the way ML puts that cable in an S pattern inside the phones then puts the knot to far back id say. Mine was split... almost cut. Thats why i put a string on mine to keep the heavy cable from pulling since its to short.

Dew

Jul 2012
    513 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You can compensate for a short head phone cable by mounting your control pod on the shaft so that the headphone wire is at the bottom end of the Pod pointing toward the search coil. When you mount the control pod this way, you avoid stressing/pulling the head phone off when you bend over to retrieve targets.

Be aware that you will have to be careful in protecting the battery wire as the battery pod and Heco connector point up. You have to be especially careful when cleaning the sand out of the bottom skid plate (coil cover) so that the exposed battery wire is not pushed against the ground stressing it.

As OBN pointed out: You worry about the battery cable on the Cal as the wires at the Heco connector can be easily pulled. I had to jiggle the battery wire cable for more than a month before it failed hard enough to send it in for repair. Even though it was repaired under warranty, it was not free; I had to wait a few weeks for its return and was out $70 for shipping and insurance (sigh).

Oh bye the way, I am the same height as you, and use an Anderson Tall Man's Shaft for treasure hunting: shallow water, wet sand, dry sand. I am able to cover more ground with the longer shaft, and it is optimally balanced with the Pod high above my shoulders.
    It is out of the water, even when chin deep, shallow water hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by WWZESQ View Post
    Thanks Dew. I'm trying to avoid bending the wire over to secure it. I'm 6'3" and with the short headphone cable, I need all of the length I can get. Do you think my tape job is ok, or will it eventually mess up the connector? Thanks -Z
    Last edited by Sir Gala Clad; May 10, 2014 at 04:29 PM.

Jul 2012
    513 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    When you consider that the Xcal ll is a knobs and switches type machine with five knob/switches that can wear,
    with at least nine O ring seals and one Heco seal which can leak under pressure, plus all the exposed cable which can be jerked,
    frayed, or deteriorate over time from exposure to the elements, it's surprising that it does not have a higher failure rate.

Especially, since some detectors are dropped, improperly stored at home or in transport, or not properly cared for after each use.

Quote Originally Posted by OBN View Post
    Really there are a lot of excaliburs out there and the one's having problems is small compared to what is in use.

Just got a CTX myself, just for setting up a good set of water proof headphones for it, what's offered is not all that as far as audio....afraid to take in the water, but will have to once I get some made for testing...

Oct 2013
    Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
    183 times
    These machines can take a lot mines in my vehicle most of the Time hot cold whatever, I still feel the best answer for cable stress is to hip mount the pod , that way there's no stretching HP cord , I do not dive so on sand or in water I'm good ,

us
    Feb 2012
    Whites V3i, Barracuda, Excalibur 2
    5 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I have mine mounted on an anderson over/under until the water warms up a bit, then it will most likely spend the rest of the summer on the short dive shaft. I also built a molded pvc stand so if i lay it down, i.e. to pull of the skid plate, nothing is banging on the ground. I'm kind of fanatical about equipment maintenance. I have fishing reels that are 30+ years old that I swim with, and you would swear they are brand new. Electronic equipment and dive gear get even closer attention. I have my own business so time is a precious commodity, and there is nothing worse that getting a few hours out and having your gear malfunction. Thanks for all of the great advice! -Z

us
    Feb 2012
    CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
    605 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    OBN I've had the 3030 for over a year so far and have had it submerged more than 30 times with no problem, it was scary the first time. Good luck with your new baby it's a great machine.

us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5 Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Xterra 305
    2359 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun View Post
    OBN I've had the 3030 for over a year so far and have had it submerged more than 30 times with no problem, it was scary the first time. Good luck with your new baby it's a great machine.
    Yes it was nerve racking! Be SURE you have the USB cap snug, but not over tightened.

us
    Dec 2017
    South FL
    Excalibur II and Garrett ATX
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Smile Excalibur Battery Cable

I am in the process of restoring and modifying my Excalibur II. I am installing a 15 inch NEL attack coil on my Excalibur II and I already changed the knob seals and installed a bulkhead fitting that works with the Gray Ghost, Amphibian head phones. Only issue I have is where to purchase the 20/2 conductor cable (salt water resistant) used to attach the battery to the Excalibur II. Do you have any ideas where I can purchase the cable. Also, I got a little carried away with removing the Ikelite connector from the cable and it was soldered by the factory and I had to remove the solder and am concerned that I may have compromised the connector by applying too much heat. Do you, or know anyone who currently sells those connectors? Also, do you still have the end caps for the Excalibur and how can I contact you to purchase a couple end caps that may also include a bulkhead connector for the ear phones, coil, and possibly a pin point fitting and pin point switch.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by OBN View Post
    4 small screws then they come apart, maybe spray once a season, specially if your under a lot. That is norm for the pads...

Internal break on the battery cable just outside the connectors, heyco n the ikelite, also I only work on the Excalibur.... closed shop right now, hunting season..., will reopen come Dec 1st till mid March. Here is a vid on the battery cable...
    And Thank You, but no Master here, just enjoy sharing what works the best on the Excalibur. Two years ago no one would have attempted to open the control pod on the excal, think I sold like 40 or 50 kits last winter....all successful installs....Amazing, Thanks to Youtube.

us
    Oct 2017
    Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
    Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
    1126 times
    OBN, I've been following your posts for quite some time. I finally got to changing my battery and stripped nobs out but now have some other things I need done to my "Old Blue" Excal 1000. I saw in your posts that you do this stuff (open shop after Dec. 1st), and I would prefer someone who has the know how to do it (I'm handy to a point...). How can someone contact you to have work done to their machine? Thanks in advance.

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Maryland Waters
    "Excalibur".. "AQ" coming..
    6195 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodkin View Post
    OBN, I've been following your posts for quite some time. I finally got to changing my battery and stripped nobs out but now have some other things I need done to my "Old Blue" Excal 1000. I saw in your posts that you do this stuff (open shop after Dec. 1st), and I would prefer someone who has the know how to do it (I'm handy to a point...). How can someone contact you to have work done to their machine? Thanks in advance.
    Sorry, I only do the Kits now, I stopped working on them last year. I can refer you to a Guy in Jersey who does good work. Just send me a message thru the forum here. Or go to Facebook and look up Matty St Germain.

I need to go thru all my old post and delete that info..

Blood Member of RingKeepers
    2020......Gold Rings....57...Misc Gold 1...Silvers ...53

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links