Sand scoop

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
get-attachment[4].jpg Here's a sand scoop I made about 10 years ago. It has never fail me and believe me I have really tested it in all kinds of conditions. Cost next to nothing to build. Had most this material around my shop. As a designer I had the challenge of making a scoop strong enough to withstand the punishment I gave it because I have a collection of stainless steel and aluminum scoops, I paid quite a bit for, all bent and broken. It also had to be a scoop made without metal in it. I actually injured my left shoulder dragging those metal scoops behind me so my explorer wouldn't detect it. Another advantage this scoop and others I have built is they are very light and they float.
It has served me very well because if it isn't in my scoop it is still in the sand. It has been very effective when it comes to small items such as ear rings. I have several jars of them... problem is none of them match.
If you need any more info please ask.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
I love those who think tie wraps are not strong. Try and get out of those law enforcement tie wraps.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are all the pics of the multiple hi quality scoops you ruined?

OP
OP
H

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
These are the only ones I have left. I tried to rebuild the one on the right and I tried building the one on the right from a handle. As you can see I got the triangle idea from these ones.

metal scoop.jpg

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man those are toast ! I attempted to use a galv hand scoop when I first started , I quickly crushed it and moved on to long handle sand scoops , than to the large ss from RTG for water and wet sand

OP
OP
H

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
I know what you mean... some of Kellyco's staff and I are on a first name bases.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to knock your metal scoops but they are less then heavy duty, I think if you purchased one good scoop it would have Lasted you ten years or more. I've seen hunters with the old millers and sunspot scoops twenty plus years old and only the wood handles of the sunspots needed replaced every so often because of the saltwater. Your plastic scoop works fine for you so that is all that matters and the cost was good. Thanks for sharing....

OP
OP
H

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
10 years ago I was on the road of buying the latest scoop of the day at the time. The reason I went for an non metal scoop was I had one of the original explorers. I could only go so far to the left and I would pick up the scoop. I was hunting pretty heavy at that time and I buggered up my shoulder dragging my scoop way behind me trying to avoid it setting of my detector. I've seen some of those scoops you mentioned and they are awesome... far better than the ones I had purchased at the time. The only problem I can see with those scoops is they are made of metal. The one I have pictured is my every day working one. I have one I call my monster. It is over 6' tall and I use that for deep water, especially around outer buoy markers. When I dig with it some times it takes everything I have to pull it out.
As for it not being a flat bottomed scoop and having a tendency to roll over, like one chap said, I have never experienced this effect. When I am in the water my scoops float. They are always upright when I dig. Some times I am doing something or talking to someone and it floats off and I have to chase it.
Up here in the frozen north the water is just about ready for hunting... can't wait. Hope you are having lots of success.

kisskrazed

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2014
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the process of making my own as well. Not to keen on some that I've seen in person & the price tag attached. This will be a beast. I made a mock up out of card board first, then changed the design to a round type. My welding isn't the best but with some grinding & painting it'll hopefully do the trick. I have the template ready for the hole drilling & a fiberglass handle to attach. I'm hitting the beach for the first time ever to detect in a few weeks so it'll get tested right.

20140610_093500.jpg 20140610_093411.jpg 20140612_125740.jpg 20140612_125806.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
You hit the nail on the head with your design... one suggestion I would recommend is drill your large holes on the sides and front making smaller holes as you go towards the back. I always try to make a sieve at some section, either the back or one side so I can get those pesky earrings. Make the largest hole smaller than a dime. Good luck with your new scoop.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
KK

Only thing I see you will be awhile drilling those holes....Next one have the holes lazer cut before you weld her up, cost you about 20 dollars. The more holes the weaker the scoop also...

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd have to see it perform in hard packed wet sand before I give it my blessing.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks good kiss. GL

panner59

Dec 2, 2012
California...For now!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Royal Mini High banker,Keene A-52 Sluice, Gold N Sand X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why can't anybody just say...Way to go HARRASS! If it works for you GREAT! There always has to be some A$$hole trying to show HE is better than everybody else.

OP
OP
H

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
Materials for scoop.jpg Gary's Scoop

What it takes to build a non metal scoop. Just 5 items.

1/ A piece of municipal water pipe. Just ask for a piece of scrap. I got this piece before they buried it at a construction site.

2/ A piece of hard wood flooring. 3 to 4 feet... personal preference.

3/ Hard wood cut in a circle. One inch is preferred.

4/ Dowels.

5/ Tie wraps.

Like a recipe this is the ingredients. I believe in the 'kiss' principal. Have fun... I would love to see what you do with these items.

Gary

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Harrass, thanks for making this thread! Am considering a sand scoop making project, this post is very informative.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
If your tired of spending a small fortune on metal scoops this will solve your problem. Glad to help you out as much as possible.

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Harrass, Thank you for the tips, pictures, and inspiration for a DIY scoop. I'm getting ready to take the plunge for a submersible detector and have been researching scoops, mainly one I can afford for now. I believe your statements and this looks like the ticket for me for now!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HARASS, thank you for posting your homemade scoop. I've had a short piece of muni pipe laying around the barn for years and now I have a use for it and a nice project for a rainy day. Now if I only lived near a beach.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread