Sand scoop

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
get-attachment[4].jpg Here's a sand scoop I made about 10 years ago. It has never fail me and believe me I have really tested it in all kinds of conditions. Cost next to nothing to build. Had most this material around my shop. As a designer I had the challenge of making a scoop strong enough to withstand the punishment I gave it because I have a collection of stainless steel and aluminum scoops, I paid quite a bit for, all bent and broken. It also had to be a scoop made without metal in it. I actually injured my left shoulder dragging those metal scoops behind me so my explorer wouldn't detect it. Another advantage this scoop and others I have built is they are very light and they float.
It has served me very well because if it isn't in my scoop it is still in the sand. It has been very effective when it comes to small items such as ear rings. I have several jars of them... problem is none of them match.
If you need any more info please ask.

Upvote 0

dlt123me

Sep 18, 2014
Newberg Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too cool and innovative

Hey Harrass, thanks for posting. For those who feel the need to criticize, well... Gimmie a break.... I am about ready to buy my first detector and after looking at all the scoops and their prices, I've decided to make my own until I recoup from buying my MD...

As long as it works I don't care what it looks like... and I like the fact that it floats, and has no metal. You might want to tie a small thin rope to it in case it floats away, that way you can reel it in... :whip2:

Your scoop looks easy to make and cheap to do. I love DIY ingenuity. Good going and thanks again for posting.

Dennis

OP
OP
H

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
Glad to help... and believe me it really works. As for floating away I never really had that problem. I usually tuck it under my arm when it was very windy. You could try a small rope but you might find it gets in the way. I have one that is over 6' tall for working deep areas. When I was up to my neck and pushed down on the smaller ones I would float away. With the long handled one I could push down and dig at the same time. I got lots of good finds along the outer rope lines which are usually up to your neck. And a few timesI used the fact that it floats back to shallower water. It wasn't easy dragging back a detector and a scope trying to swim at the same time... hey what's life without a little excitement. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread