So, You Want To Be A Water Hunter?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

FindSomeGold

Jan 23, 2012
Florida East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done some water hunting (I live in NSB too) here and even lost my own wedding ring (never found it... boo... $600 gone) just inside of where this video was filmed, haha.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in the interview the gentleman states it unusual to see that many sharks, even one. That has not been my experience at nsb, my understanding is that beach is well known for shark encounters. I myself saw them swimming amongst swimmers at 17th street entrance (not sure of street number).
Do you think any of shark repellant sprays are worth having?

FindSomeGold

Jan 23, 2012
Florida East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I surf there too (normally further south though) and have seen plenty of sharks, but not this many at once.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I surf there too (normally further south though) and have seen plenty of sharks, but not this many at once.

I was surprised at the difference of the surf action at Bethune park compared to
Just a mile or so further north.

Hangman

Apr 12, 2014
Cape Coral Florida
Detector(s) used
BH Legacy 2500 , BH Time Ranger, El Cheapo pin pointer, ya gotta start some where !
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have shark's, I have bear's running around, Florida is so much fun LOL.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On this day the water was flat with fair visibility, which isn't very common here inside the sandbars. Add to this that the baitfish are moving back into the shoreline. But those sharks are generally always there, either further out or hidden by the usually tainted water clarity. At low tide it's not uncommon to see one cruising the top of a sandbar, his back out of the water while searching for food. I saw about 4-5 foot hammerhead doing this very thing about a week ago on top of the bar above the trough I was hunting, this was just south of Crawford street. That same week I saw another doing the same thing down by the Islander. So they are always around it's just that we can see them all that easily very often. A couple of years ago I nailed on the big toe by a small shark that came darting into the tidal pool I was hunting as the tide was returning. He nailed me just as my foot was being placed on top of that shiny SS scoop under a bright sun. Saw him coming all the way, just never thought he'd actually nail me. :laughing7:

FindSomeGold

Jan 23, 2012
Florida East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was surprised at the difference of the surf action at Bethune park compared to

Bethune can for sure hold a lot larger surf than most spots north in our area.
If a good hurricane swell comes through you'll see it get especially crowded with surfers.

That beach can get really steep too and I've seen some nice cuts there at times.
Unfortunately they rebuilt the ramp / steps a while back and there are tons of nails that drive my PI crazy.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's really quite amazing, say examining the beach from the inlet to the Cape. There is quite a bit of change. I've metal detected all of it quite a bit in recent years.

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You have shark's, I have bear's running around, Florida is so much fun LOL.

LOL, our neighbor just had a black bear break into his lanai....and we're in a big sub in St. Aug'

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having run fishing charters for umpteen years ... Customers would hire us to go shark fishing. We'd come out the pass, park right off the beach. Customers would say, I thought we were going shark fishing (thinking they were going miles and miles offshore). Inevitably, we told them yes, we are, this is where they live. Shortly after, their bent over the boat pulling in tigers, bulls, blacktips, hammers, nurse, spinners, and a wide array of others. Make no mistake - we're not alone. Makes no difference if it's day or night ... Sharks are present, their ever feeding. Be vigilant, not keep dead fish hanging off you, or bait on your pocket, and you'll be fine.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
True! But I've lived pretty much all over the world at one time or another and wouldn't want to live anywhere else but where I do. Central Florida is my home and I'm happy to share it with sharks, alligators, bears, rattlesnakes, beautiful beaches, beautiful history, beautiful birds, beautiful plants, beautiful weather year round, a beautiful family and great friends.....just the view from my biased foxhole. 8-)

Last edited:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
True! But I've lived pretty all over the world at one time or another and wouldn't want to live anywhere else but where I do. Central Florida is my home and I'm happy to share it with sharks, alligators, bears, rattlesnakes, beautiful beaches, beautiful history, beautiful birds, beautiful plants, beautiful weather year round, a beautiful family and great friends.....just the view from my biased foxhole. 8-)

Florida rocks

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They should say sharks on the sign. Dangerous marine life might be a crowd of drunken jar heads. lol Glad nobody got hurt.
I remember this guy caught a small shark on an oil rig I was working on cut open it's belly and little baby sharks fell into the water thru the metal grate on the walk way. I saw lots of large sharks and gators working in Louisiana. Seen a few caught at the pier in PCB, Fl. If I ever make it to Florida again, I'll get Bigscoop to keep an eye on the sharks while I scarf up all the gold jewelry. lol

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think they could mistake white hair legs for a baitfish? Lol. I'm thinking I may be a wetsand hunter from here on out!!!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think they could mistake white hair legs for a baitfish? Lol. I'm thinking I may be a wetsand hunter from here on out!!!

Don't know but I've had schools of those pesky little fish pecking away at the hair on my legs more then once. Had bluegills in freshwater lakes do this same thing. :laughing7:
On second thought, hair draws baitfish, baitfish draw, well, we'll just say bigger fish. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They should say sharks on the sign. Dangerous marine life might be a crowd of drunken jar heads. lol Glad nobody got hurt.
I remember this guy caught a small shark on an oil rig I was working on cut open it's belly and little baby sharks fell into the water thru the metal grate on the walk way. I saw lots of large sharks and gators working in Louisiana. Seen a few caught at the pier in PCB, Fl. If I ever make it to Florida again, I'll get Bigscoop to keep an eye on the sharks while I scarf up all the gold jewelry. lol

"Dangerous Marine Life"....I don't get the mentality of those folks. Depending on what type of dangerous marine life pretty much determines the right level of caution required. Why not just say, god forbid, "Sharks". I mean, there is a fortune to be made if they'd just let their fears subside and market what they have here. Those sharks are not going away so why not capitalize on it. "Come to Sharkcoast where we have a wide variety of shark sandwiches so you can actually bite back." :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread