Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to do a few Carribean trips a year - I try to pick at least one new island a year - never been to Jamaica - reason is the bad stories you hear
decided to give it a shot - got a good deal on a resort and rented a car - those that have read my articles or know me know my girlfriend and I rent a car
9 out of 10 trips - I do this so I have options - if a resort we pick does not pan out - we can travel with ease (I don't like the idea of paying for a taxi to get around)
Arrived there late Sunday - manage to check out my resorts beach(s) just before sun set - this place has 4 tiny man made coves - the one outside our bungalow was a nightmare
it was dead reef and not the worn down small crevice kind - this was like actual reef - ankle breaking with no sand - sharp and full of ups and downs - lot of nice fish but worst
hunting conditions - I was wondering why people were only in water below their knees - I got all kinds of large iron targets and junk in there. Tried the next one and it was not much better
managed to pull a few coins - but just to hard to hunt - there was a little more sand - but you scoop down and hit the reef about 6 inches down - sand was silty and would cloud up with little movement
dropping down and fanning was almost impossible - sun was heading down and gal wanted to get ready for supper - I jumped into the 3rd cove and once again got a few coins but nothing to write home about
so staying here and hunting for days was not going to be
Day 2 - headed to Ocho Rios - and went to tourist /cruise ship beach - I was told by a guide that many TH'ers go there off cruises
I jumped in and using my cz21 in all metal I was getting a fair amount of targets but clicking over to ID mode - 4 out of 5 targets were coming up low - which is bad on the CZ21
I dug them anyways because most of the Jamaican currency is made out of crap metals - so I would get these coins almost every where I went - cause others would discriminate these
I got a silver bracelet , a silver ring and 2 junk ones here - decided to move down towards a hotel and was asked to find a ring for a local - the walk took time - search used up time (well spent cause I found it)
but journey back to my gal I was confronted by 2 local teenagers that surrounded me and wanted to see everything I scooped up - I tried to get around and away from them cause they hindered my progress (more wasted time)
finally a few friends of theirs showed and they got out - glad they did cause little while later I got a blast and pulled up a heavy silver chain and cross. I was getting fair amount of coins too - some were high pitch ones which is a good sign . I pulled up a broken silver religious bracelet but no gold there. I hunted maybe 4 hrs - my gal wanted to get on the road before rush hour and we had an hour 1/2 drive back
Day 3 - we drove to a sister resort of one we were at - normally you would have to pay for a day pass to go there ,but we said we might want to go there next trip and managers talked it over and let us use facilities for free
I had seen their beach using google earth and it did not look to promising - I was right - it was crap - but at least we didn't spend anything - wanted to hit another popular beach down in Montego bay - but there was no public parking - this is where we could have used a taxi -- will know next time - so this was a wasted ride and still no gold in my pocket yet - headed back towards our resort - stopped at a local spot - grabbed some lunch and then I jumped in -
place was loaded with coins - I was getting 10 good targets for every piece of junk - great ratio. I got a junk ring - then another - then a small silver - then another junker. Sand here was soft - some coins were recent - some real deep.
Kids were getting out of school - people out of work and more locals were showing up - so I ventured to areas they weren't - I decide to head to the far right - there were only a few people over that way - I got a blast and thought I had a class ring in my scoop - it ended up having a huge peridot in it - so my day was made - not to far away I got a silver ring. Then more locals started to show and some were bothering my girlfriend - time to leave .
I was still getting good targets but I did not want her feeling uncomfortable. One old man was asking her for a kiss. Then said he'd take a dollar instead. When I got to the car - I quickly threw my scoop, machine and finds pouch in the trunk . Two locals who said they worked at the restaurant started to yell at me to stop me from leaving. They want to know what I found. I tried to get in the car but they wanted to see all my gold - I told them I had no gold - (I had taken the peridot ring out and had it secure - one guy was saying over and over -"I know you got gold man" "show me your gold" I told him over and over I didn't - he said that others like me come there and show their gold why cant I be nice like them and show it - they badgered me for awhile - they said why did I throw everything in the trunk to hide it from them - finally I opened the trunk up and reached in and started pulling out pieces of aluminum and bottle caps - and the smaller coins - I told them - you called me a liar - you can have any piece of gold you find in my pouch - they saw the tiny silver ring and snatched it up - "silver!" - it had about as much silver as a silver dime - about $1.50 worth - I thought he put it back in = but must have palmed it - cause it was missing later - they were hoping that I'd give them the coins - if they were nicer - I might have... but nope. This was the only bad experience I had .
I wanted to go back - I barely scratched the place but my gal said no. If we went back again down the road with another couple - maybe.
Day 4 - we went to another resort for the day - I jumped in and after finding 3 pieces of aluminum - forth target was a white gold wedding band. This beach was small and there were couples here and there I had to navigate around - I never like to disturb any one - don't want them complaining to the staff and getting asked to stop. I would hear people on the beach now and then saying "he shouldn't be allowed to do that here" as it was. I got a few junk earings and a few coins - thought after that band I was going to kill it. This place had a couple of smaller beaches - I jumped out and then in each one - I was finding all kinds of champagne caps and rum caps which went off as high tones. The last small beach I dug a tungsten carbide and then a silver wedding band - I walked back to my gal and took a break for lunch - happy that I least had one gold. The sand was supper soft here and I told her that there could be stuff down 5 feet here its so soft - I jumped back in and cranked up my tuner in all metal and went for faint whispers - in deep water I got one and dug down and got a coins about 2 feet down - I got another whisper and dug down and got another white gold band -Bingo ... I unlocked its secret - stuff was down and out deeper - was told that others had been here too. ..so I had to go for what they missed. not 2 feet away I got another whisper - up comes another band - thought it was white gold - ended up being titanium but was once again down real deep. Went back to another area I had zipped over in the morning - another whisper - another band ...this time yellow. A few more deep coins - then another band - I saw 950 in it and thought I had platinum but its palladium -- PD not PT. - I headed back towards my girlfriend in the shallows and got a small white gold band - turned out to be a pretty good day - 8 rings - 4 gold.
An attendant there said a guy lost a band the day before on the volleyball court - looked for it for a 1/2 hr - not there -hunted in all metal to make sure
Day 5 - need to pack - but I have a few hours if I get my butt out early - headed out to the farthest small cove at my resort - this one was just right (except it was high tide) sand was deep here - reef was about 2 -3 feet down under so it gave me room to scoop. I found all kinds of Jamaican money - some shallow.. some deep - water was rough making it a little tough at times when I went out deep - was getting junk jewelry and with the targets I was getting I thought there should be gold (probably is but its sitting 3 feet down on the dead coral bottom) . My girlfriend came out and grabbed some breakfast and gave me a time check - I headed back towards my resort. I went back into one of the other coves with the hard bottom - I found a tiny spot with sand and pulled out some keys that I had to drop down and fan down a foot because I could not scoop because I hit hard bottom. I was walking out when I got a hit in about less than 2 feet of water - I scoop and immediately hit hard coral. I dropped to my knees and stuck my face in and fanned - I couldn't see because it was so cloudy - I had to put my face literally 2 inches from the bottom to see. I rechecked and got a high tone in ID mode - did not want to waste my time on a junk target or even on small Jamaican coin. I got a solid hit and I laid out in less than 2 feet of water - my belly on the bottom and stuck my mask in again and fanned - Bingo - in a crevice I could see a ring ...snatched it and got up on my knees to check it out - Gold! - Cant ask for a better way to end a trip. (of course I did swing around that area to check for more, but that was it.
I know theres got to be more gold in there - but one will have to really work for it.
I ended up with 20 rings - not shown is the gold band I returned and the small silver that was lifted.
7 - gold (with one being returned)
1 - palladium
4 - silver
1- titanium
1 - tungsten
1 - ss
5 - junkers
3 - silver bracelets
1 - silver religious medal
1 - heavy silver necklace with cross
202 - coins

DSC00006.JPG
DSC00003.JPG
C00005.jpg
DSC0004.JPG
DS00003.JPG

Upvote 0

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
nice man, yea the locals can be super aggressive, swore id never go back

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice man, yea the locals can be super aggressive, swore id never go back
after the 1st 3 days - my gal said she did not want to go back - on the forth - she had a good day - I had a good day and she said she might go back
I found a few other beaches that looked awesome but could not hit-ran outta time - so I certainly would go back
I like hunting a lot of spots alone but this is one place would be good to have a wing man

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think's I would have had to change my trunks out, knowing there were two lurkers hanging around. You got a pair alright. Thanks for sharing and I got you message! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WOW!!!! Impressive detecting as usual ,Casper:notworthy:

Congrats on all those treasure finds

Lorraine

occy

Oct 21, 2012