Large Coils & A Simple Harness Can Increase Your Recovery Rate

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a certain amount of advantage to swinging a larger coil, the most notable being coverage area and increased depth. I swing the larger coils quite a bit when hunting over the wet sand and at times, when the conditions are right, I even use these larger coils in the water. No doubting these larger coils have increased my overall production quite a bit.

However, the obvious down side to swinging these larger coils is the additional weight at the end of the detector shaft, a condition that can quickly bring about hunter fatigue. But there is a way to counter this condition by using a harness. In fact, after finally using a harness I can't image going back to swinging these larger coils without one. The harness allows me to swing these larger coils all day long without any additional fatigue.

A harness can be purchased commercially or you can simply make one yourself, which is what I did. All that is required is a simple chest/shoulder harness, a stainless “I” bolt and wing nut, and a length of bungee cord with hooks at each end. The actual chest/shoulder harness can come from just about anywhere, I've found them at the local Goodwill stores and even found some that were originally part of day-packs, back-packs, baby-packs, camel packs, etc. Nearly all of them will work and I especially like the idea of having the added storage capabilities that some of these packs can offer me when hunting long hours or when hunting far from the vehicle.

The two pictures below are of the simple harness I use most often. This was actually part of “Bag Boy” golf assembly at one time, the wide Velcro buckle holding very securely and making for easy on & off. From here it was just a simple matter of a finding a lineman's clip, something you can get at any hardware store, and a bungee cord that would allow me to tie knots in it until I achieved the desired tension. The stainless I-bolt just required the drilling of a single clearance hole in the detector shaft. The parts for these harnesses are super easy to find and the cost, time, and labor required to install them is very minimal. Like I said, I have a few different harness assemblies for different occasions depending on when and where I might be hunting.

harn1.jpg harn2.jpg

There is no arguing that swinging a larger coil offers the hunter more coverage area and depth, two huge advantages when hunting over fairly flat terrains and those deep sands of summer. Most of today's larger coils are also sensitive enough to detect even the smallest items at impressive depths so there's virtually no lose in performance when switching to the larger coil in these milder conditions. Basically these larger coils allow you to cover twice as much beach with the added advantage of increased depth, these being two huge factors that can really add to your pouch at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Thanks for the info. Good to have. Need to build a large electrolysis setup. Gonna do some research. Made small ones with car chargers. I know you have alot of experience with this. Help

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make you a deal.....I have a 100 gal "long" aquarium that you can have if you want to come pick it up. This will allow you enough space/room to run a couple of long rungs and still have room for a few base fixtures. Just send me a PM if you want it. :thumbsup:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Make you a deal.....I have a 100 gal "long" aquarium that you can have if you want to come pick it up. This will allow you enough space/room to run a couple of long rungs and still have room for a few base fixtures. Just send me a PM if you want it. :thumbsup:

Thanks man. Gonna use a 55 gallon drum cut horizontally. What do u suggest for power source. Battery. Car charger. You have a pic of a setup. I think I am hijacking this thread so I will stop at that.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A plastic drum? Don't know that you'll want to use a metal tank since it's a conductor of electricity and charged particles. I don't do a lot of electrolysis these days, having found other methods for most of the common stuff like coins and modern jewelry. About the only time I resort to electrolysis anymore is when items are "really bad" and I just don't get into that too often until winter comes back around. Most of the items I get in the summer are fairly clean from the start. So, my tank is small enough to use and put back up after each use, a 12V battery is all I use.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a barely used WOT for old Betsy! Taking her on her maiden voyage over on the Gulfside! She's riding shotgun and raring to go! Standby for clad and canslaw! LOL

Attachments

• image-729118659.jpg
    image-729118659.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 111
  • image-210919531.jpg
    image-210919531.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch, you're going to love her. Add a harness and you'll never want to take her off. :thumbsup: I'm actually seriously thinking of getting the 15 x 18 SEF if they're still being offered. Not sure if Kellyco is still offering them or not?

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
10" coils and a harness, I never leave home without either.

Good luck in the Gulf Fletch...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck fletch

Thanks sponge but my plans fell through. I'm headed back to east coast on my day off Monday! It's a madhouse at the beach I drove 4 hours to get to not to even get to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread