Fitzwilk

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. Looks like it will bring good luck if I keep it in the house. I like the little critter at his feet. What is that, a rat?

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a MOUSE! Remember the story about the Elephant and the mouse and why there scared of a mouse? I THINK? OH! That was in the movie Dumbo!

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an odd one to un earth, looks pretty clean as well. Exactly on the deity. Krishna/Hindu. I am not sure the resale will be worth it, definitely would look good on a bookshelf.

powered by pull tabs

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would someone through it in the water...a burial ritual when they dumped ashes?

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would someone through it in the water...a burial ritual when they dumped ashes?

From wikepedia
An annual festival honours Ganesha for ten days, starting on Ganesha Chaturthi, which typically falls in late August or early September.[SUP][128][/SUP] The festival begins with people bringing in clay idols of Ganesha, symbolising Ganesha's visit. The festival culminates on the day of Ananta Chaturdashi, when idols (murtis) of Ganesha are immersed in the most convenient body of water.[SUP][129][/SUP] Some families have a tradition of immersion on the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, or 7th day. In 1893, Lokmanya Tilak transformed this annual Ganesha festival from private family celebrations into a grand public event.[SUP][130][/SUP] He did so "to bridge the gap between the Brahmins and the non-Brahmins and find an appropriate context in which to build a new grassroots unity between them" in his nationalistic strivings against the British in Maharashtra.[SUP][131][/SUP] Because of Ganesha's wide appeal as "the god for Everyman", Tilak chose him as a rallying point for Indian protest against British rule.[SUP][132][/SUP] Tilak was the first to install large public images of Ganesha in pavilions, and he established the practice of submerging all the public images on the tenth day.[SUP][133][/SUP] Today, Hindus across India celebrate the Ganapati festival with great fervour, though it is most popular in the state of Maharashtra.[SUP][134][/SUP][SUP][135][/SUP] The festival also assumes huge proportions in Mumbai, Pune, and in the surrounding belt of Ashtavinayaka temples.

I guess some people loose them when they dunk them because I have found two in the last couple of years.

MMIII

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ganesh is good luck; one of the favored Hindu gods. I live in India; he's all over the place.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IVE GOTTEN ONES SIMILAR OVER THE YEARS AROUND MIAMI COAST - FEW FRIENDS OF MINE HAVE GOTTEN THEM TOO DOWN THERE
PEOPLE BUY THEM AND DO A CERIMONY AND MAKE OFFERING TO THE GODS

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I dug up a smaller one in a park near the water in the Bronx. Have a small but growing Indian community nearby. They leave lots of offerings at the waters edge such as, ceramic statues, flags, flowers, and large peices of orange cloth. I detected at low tide a few years ago and found lots of coins. I guess they offer up coins as well.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From wikepedia
An annual festival honours Ganesha for ten days, starting on Ganesha Chaturthi, which typically falls in late August or early September.[SUP][128][/SUP] The festival begins with people bringing in clay idols of Ganesha, symbolising Ganesha's visit. The festival culminates on the day of Ananta Chaturdashi, when idols (murtis) of Ganesha are immersed in the most convenient body of water.[SUP][129][/SUP] Some families have a tradition of immersion on the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, or 7th day. In 1893, Lokmanya Tilak transformed this annual Ganesha festival from private family celebrations into a grand public event.[SUP][130][/SUP] He did so "to bridge the gap between the Brahmins and the non-Brahmins and find an appropriate context in which to build a new grassroots unity between them" in his nationalistic strivings against the British in Maharashtra.[SUP][131][/SUP] Because of Ganesha's wide appeal as "the god for Everyman", Tilak chose him as a rallying point for Indian protest against British rule.[SUP][132][/SUP] Tilak was the first to install large public images of Ganesha in pavilions, and he established the practice of submerging all the public images on the tenth day.[SUP][133][/SUP] Today, Hindus across India celebrate the Ganapati festival with great fervour, though it is most popular in the state of Maharashtra.[SUP][134][/SUP][SUP][135][/SUP] The festival also assumes huge proportions in Mumbai, Pune, and in the surrounding belt of Ashtavinayaka temples.

I guess some people loose them when they dunk them because I have found two in the last couple of years.
Thanks for the info.

DrunkBrother

Jan 22, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-track, Excalibur 2 ,CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You should return it to the place you found it, regardless of your beliefs.
as they way it works : Through the year the statue collects energy at the house and during ceremony it released into River/ocean to wash away all that.,

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
I've found several statues very similar to that. I always thought they were Sateria related.

OP
OP
Fitzwilk

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should return it to the place you found it, regardless of your beliefs.
as they way it works : Through the year the statue collects energy at the house and during ceremony it released into River/ocean to wash away all that.,

Interesting thread with lots of good information. My thinking is perhaps Ganesh finished releasing it's energy and wanted me to find it. It's on a bookshelf in my house at the moment. I do see many Indian families walking along the beach. One Indian gentleman even inquired about my metal detector. He wanted to buy one and donate it to a village in India so the poor people could find coins in the river. He told me many swim under water in search of coins. Next time I talk with someone from India I will ask them about the Ganesh statue I found.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread