i need a new coil for my excal.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
sef or nel ?? any advice is apreciated!!!! how does either one perform in the water/surf? sensitivity, weight, ease of use in the surf??? im thinking of getting anywhere from a 10x12 up to a 12x15,.....the 13 inch nel looks like a good size! thanks, chuck.
I don't know through experience but lots of people say the SEF is a great coil. Working towards a WOT for my excal.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
contacted nel coils by e-mail and they said they have no coils for the sov/excal, i know people have them so .......??? i will probably end up with a 10x12 sef. these new coils are lighter and deeper than the wot from what im hearing!!!!(and cheaper)

chuck.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuck, I "really like" the 12x15 SEF over the wet sand and in fairly shallow calm water over fairly flat bottoms, if these were my hunting conditions every day I'd probably never take it off and it would likely be the only setup I owned.

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know how the 10x12 would be on the Excal, but on my Sov it is soo sensitive. The only way I can shut it up is to put it @ 3-4 o'clock sensitivity in the wet sand and water. Don't know if that is normal.

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SEF 12x15 is the only way to go !! It is lighter than the stock 10" and covers more ground. It can be a bit more sensitive in the surf , but just turn the sensitivity down till tolerable even at its lowest point it will still sound off at 1ft.

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I use the WOT and am quite happy with it but whatever you choose a big coil is a pain in the rear moving through the water, Can you even hunt in the water mid coast Fla? I remember something about high tide line to the dunes due to claims off coast but that was years ago. You will need very calm waters to use it effectively.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on down and you can swing mine for the day and see how you like it. :thumbsup: I've even got a harness you can try...."I love using a harness!"

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice would be same as bugscoop, Get the SEF 12x15 and never look back..

I have one excal with SEF 12x15 hardwired to controls, my other excal has the WOT 15" coil hardwired to controls... I have been using them in the surf for 6 years. I have no problem using them in the surf either, you let the current and ebb and flow of waves when your in the water to help you in the sweeping...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread