New digger with questions

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi... I'm new to MD. I rented an Ace 150 & F2 while on vacation and enjoyed myself. I liked the F2 over the Ace but found the Ace easier to use. Found 1.81 in coins and a bottle opener from Denali National Park, AK. How it got on the beach in Nj, I'll never know. And a ton of pull tabs and cans. That kinda set the bug. So I picked up a used Ace 250 from CL along with 2 coils (6.5x9 Pro and 8x11 Pro) and pointer (CenTech). I plan on hunting dry and wet sand.

Questions:
1. Which coil would do best in the sand? Dry? Wet?

2. What would be the best settings for the A250? Dry? Wet?

I'll be picking up a Beachmaster sand scoop for the weekend.
3. Is there anything else I might need?

Thanks in advance
Joe

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lores

Apr 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro ACE 250 Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 250 I use on Va coast. there is a youtibe video that will help you. Ive posted before and my pc just died so on ipad. You just need turn sesnity down 3 or 4 and notch out just to the left of pull tab. That will reduce the chatter some. Use the smaller coil in the water else it will be like rowing a boat. Try to find video. It will help. Search ace 250 salt water setup or something.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with the ace-250 & happy hunting. You were wise to start out on the low end and see if you were going to stay in this hobby before spending more money for something that you might not enjoy. Garrett's website should have some videos on the ace-250 and you tube has quite a few videos. They might help you out some. I started out with an expensive detector and stuck with it and learned it, but it was a learning curve for someone who had never detected before. Don't forget to post your finds.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
you should go for the shimano.

Shimano baitcasters are all I use. You should see some of the junk my clients show up with. They can afford to book a guide trip but buy cheap tackle - go figure.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I like my Penns.

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Orvis rules!

ScooperDave

Jan 29, 2014
Orange County, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT w/10"x 12" SEF Butterfly Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With your machine I would stick with the dry sand set at maximum sensitivity and hit the towel line before and or after people leave the beach. You could try the wet sand, but your gonna probably have to knock down the sensitivity to a minimum and you wont get much depth.If your beach is sanded in, your not gonna find much in the wet sand anyway. You wont need the pin-pointer. Once you find enough gold, silver and clad from the dry, you might want to upgrade to a machine that can handle the wet mineralized sand/black sand better, Like a VLF or PI machine. Keep in mind though, If you go the PI route, you will be digging everything, bobby-pins, bottle caps, nails..

HH! 8-)

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say you cant say that word here. But you said digger. Thats ok.

Ok, I would suggest you slowley back into the water and wait for a large wave to completely engulf you and the Ace250. This will get better after that lol. I live in the desert, I deal with some bad dirt here. Please ignore the videos and finds posted as I think some folks need recognition. Its fun, what you find, you find. Im probably in trouble with this post so you wont see me on here for awhile. But I can still read your post.

Happy hunting, check under the boardwalk, and those grass strips in the parking lot too. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... No "D" word huh? I think my 250 will stay in the dry sand for now. Get used to it, then reconsider the wet stuff... Or upgrade. Yes... I said the "U" word.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread