Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hit the pond recently and I found this tiny claddagh ring in shin-deep water. There is no stamp but I'm hoping it's silver. I was surprised to find these two coins in the sand.

20140718_195955.jpg

The gold has been eluding me for months! :icon_scratch:

HH
Fenway

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your finds Fenway.
Shouldn't the date on the half penny be 1860 and the date on two shillings be 1855?

I would love to see the claddagh ring after it has been cleaned.
The design appears to be more complex than usual.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Terrific hunting, Fenway; save some for me as I'll be around there in late September

Lorraine

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Fenway

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
Primary Interest:
Sir Gala Clad, No they are definitely 1960 and 1955. I hope to post a better picture of them soon.

OP
OP
Fenway

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
Primary Interest:
I had some time to clean them up. I like them a lot! Hopefully there are more of them in that spot.

20140727_203521.jpg 20140727_203543.jpg 20140727_203908 (1).jpg

HH
Fenway

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suffering Socotash, they are beautiful, I just assumed that they would be much older as what can one buy with a half penny?
Wrong again, they could be very valuable as my research indicates the half penny is a rare coin and has high value.
If you find more of theese, determine their value before cleaning, they may be worth more just as you found them.

Cleaned or dirty I have a small bucket off Lincoln Memorial zinc pennies worn to one half size, that I would glad trade for a 1960 British HALF PENNY :icon_jokercolor:

Even if you don't take me up on my offer, I would change my like to a super like, if I could.
Sir Gala Clad, No they are definitely 1960 and 1955. I hope to post a better picture of them soon.

OP
OP
Fenway

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
Primary Interest:
Oh I looked first. They are not valuable because there were so many made. This is what I found before cleaning:

Why isn't a British half-penny from the 1960's worth that much?

There were 41 million made. That's enough for every active collector of British halfpennies to each have several hundred of them, at least. With that much around, there's little value. Brilliant red uncirculated examples, of which there aren't millions, still exist in quantities so that they sell for only a couple of pounds each at the most. Circulated examples here in the States are what are called 'junk box' coins.

And for the two shillings:

Type 2: No BRITT OMN 1955 in EF condition is worth $1.

So, even if it was Extra Fine, which it is far from being, it would be worth a buck. Looks much better cleaned. I would never clean a coin until I researched its value first.

Thanks, and no I won't make the trade! I've got more than my share of those "Zincolns" too! LOL! :BangHead:

HH
Fenway

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Oh I looked first. They are not valuable because there were so many made. This is what I found before cleaning:

Why isn't a British half-penny from the 1960's worth that much?

There were 41 million made. That's enough for every active collector of British halfpennies to each have several hundred of them, at least. With that much around, there's little value. Brilliant red uncirculated examples, of which there aren't millions, still exist in quantities so that they sell for only a couple of pounds each at the most. Circulated examples here in the States are what are called 'junk box' coins.

And for the two shillings:

Type 2: No BRITT OMN 1955 in EF condition is worth $1.

So, even if it was Extra Fine, which it is far from being, it would be worth a buck. Looks much better cleaned. I would never clean a coin until I researched its value first.

Thanks, and no I won't make the trade! I've got more than my share of those "Zincolns" too! LOL! :BangHead:

HH
Fenway

Good finds buddy....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread