Excalibur II: A Question of Aesthetics vs Function?

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,

New guy (new to beach hunting) here,

I really want to get an Excal II, but I just cant get over those knobs just sticking out on top. My question is, do they get in the way? Do they get bumped? Are they a pain in the patootie?

From everything that I have read, the Excal is a sweet machine, but no one seems to address the weight and handling, etc.

Would any of you lucky Excal owners care to expound on this? Thanks!:hello:

Upvote 0

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All, New guy (new to beach hunting) here, I really want to get an Excal II, but I just cant get over those knobs just sticking out on top. My question is, do they get in the way? Do they get bumped? Are they a pain in the patootie? From everything that I have read, the Excal is a sweet machine, but no one seems to address the weight and handling, etc. Would any of you lucky Excal owners care to expound on this? Thanks!:hello:

I've owned quite a few machines and I think you're on a good path in considering an excal. There's a lot said about the knobs but I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with mine... Knock on wood! No problems with bumping either. You can save a few hundred by buying a excal 1000 blue or 800 which some people like over the new model. There's a few on eBay as we speak. The mods that can be done really pack an extra punch but not advised on a new machine until warranty is up.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had one for about 8 months now and have zero to complain about. I would recommend mounting the unit around your waist. The actual unit rest comfortably on my lower back and the Excal is a dream. They sell a kit for $25 I think.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good point redcobra. That or a straight shaft would be a smart thing to do. Either or

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal is a great machine, for sure, but out of the box it isn't exactly balanced all that well. When hunting over the wet sand it can be like swinging a log, just too much forward weight. In the water, depending on the conditions, this same below hand weight can create a lot of drag. This is why most users eventually go to a straight shaft or a body mount of some type for the main control and battery pod assembly.

Personally, I'm often hunting in the surf and currents and I don't like the idea of having things attached to my body in the even that I might step into a hole or get caught in a strong current, this only needs happen to you once before you'll abandon the notion of having to deal with cables and straps, etc. Given this, I use a straight shaft, mine being a bit longer then most and I do this for a couple of reasons. First, I mount my control and battery pod above the elbow as this helps to reduce drag and it also limits the amount of time the unit is submerged in these turbulent waters, thus this hopefully reducing the possibility of water related issues and possibly even extending the life of the machine. The second reason I mount my control and battery pods a bit higher then most is because this provides me something of a pendulum, or counterbalance effect, which actually helps quite a bit when swinging in or against currents.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal is a great machine, for sure, but out of the box it isn't exactly balanced all that well. When hunting over the wet sand it can be like swinging a log, just too much forward weight. In the water, depending on the conditions, this same below hand weight can create a lot of drag. This is why most users eventually go to a straight shaft or a body mount of some type for the main control and battery pod assembly.

Personally, I'm often hunting in the surf and currents and I don't like the idea of having things attached to my body in the even that I might step into a hole or get caught in a strong current, this only needs happen to you once before you'll abandon the notion of having to deal with cables and straps, etc. Given this, I use a straight shaft, mine being a bit longer then most and I do this for a couple of reasons. First, I mount my control and battery pod above the elbow as this helps to reduce drag and it also limits the amount of time the unit is submerged in these turbulent waters, thus this hopefully reducing the possibility of water related issues and possibly even extending the life of the machine. The second reason I mount my control and battery pods a bit higher then most is because this provides me something of a pendulum, or counterbalance effect, which actually helps quite a bit when swinging in or against currents.

I use a harness on my excal, I can disconnect the bungee that hooks to my camelpac in less than a sec so the cable is not a problem, on top of that the camelpac acts like float...

If you buy excal you will want a straight shaft as Scoop says it is far better balanced plus you cover more ground per sweep. Straight shaft will not affect your warranty either...

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
[QUOTE="Treasure_Hunter; Straight shaft will not affect your warranty either...[/QUOTE] Good point Treasure Hunter Straight shaft not voiding warranty Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 2 both on straight shafts. I'm pretty short, only 5' 1". I'm usually in the water with one or the other one, neck deep. No harness or nothing, just floating and bouncing around, trying to stay cool. LOL!
They work real good in the wet sand and seem to do fine on dry beach, too. But, like one of the other posters said, they can tend to get a little heavy after a while on dry beach, even with the straight shaft. I bout can't take the heat and burn of a summer beach, I usually go straight for the water.

GL & HH!

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great advice from the best! Get a knob guard also.(Anderson) :icon_queen:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Now I read about the Excalibur, one day I will own one. One day. Not today,but one day. Beeeeep

sponge using smoke signals.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an excal in the past. Like bigscoop said the straight shaft when properly configured acts as a counter balance, very helpful. The knob guard as other have said is a must.

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 Excals and switch off using one for diving one for shallow water. I have never had a problem with weight and or the knobs. The Excal has brought me many treasures and countless hours of peace and excitement in the water!!!

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about the Anderson Excaliber Over Under shaft? Do any of you have this, or do you think that it will be a reasonable compromise to the balance issue vs the hip-mount issue? I don't like the idea of having anything attached to my person.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I perfer to make my iwn, cost me $25.00 each to make one for my excals...

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the Anderson Excaliber Over Under shaft? Do any of you have this, or do you think that it will be a reasonable compromise to the balance issue vs the hip-mount issue? I don't like the idea of having anything attached to my person.

The advantage of the Over Under Shaft is that you have better coil control as it is more rigid and there are two shafts to hold on to.
It is better suited for sweeping larger heavier coils, while wearing a harness such as a WOT 15" DD search coil or the larger SEF butterfly coils.

I chose the Anderson Tall Man shaft (the over under shaft is much shorter), as I am over six foot tall, and I did not want to increase the drag in the water.
The longer shaft provides better pendulum action, and allows you to sweep wider arcs (cover more surface area) in a swing of the coil.
I also choose Carbon fiber, over aluminum as the carbon fiber shaft is lighter and requires less maintenance (far less likely to sieze) than aluminum.
I have used mine for almost two years and it has held up well.

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
get the Excalibur ll :icon_thumright:and the Anderson straight shaft :icon_thumright:and start finding gold:goldbar: & silver :goldcoin:everything else will fall in place you will be glad you did good luck...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread