catamount

Greenie
Sep 12, 2013
New England, USA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having a string of bad luck with scoop handles on my Stealth. I am not a large person, 5'11 and about 170 lbs. I don't unga bunga on the handle but I do like to get as much material as I can... isn't that the point?

I'm on my third handle in about 1 month of scooping. And not much scooping, either. Maybe 10 hours total.

The most disappointing break was yesterday, when the handle snapped on my 2nd scoop! I had broken one on Friday, went out with a new one on Saturday and on literally my second scoop with this brand new handle I heard a snap and I was out of commission.

KeMIlRZ.jpg

hsUI7zy.jpg

I'm on my last handle and I've got a crack forming. I've put a couple of hose clamps on there in an effort to get a little more time out of it but I'm nervous while digging now.

PwiiOkW.jpg

I like to get a lot of material at once, but now I'm treating this thing like a china doll for fear of snapping my last handle. Do you guys dig gingerly? I'm wondering if I need to change my approach, or take much smaller bites. I certainly can't afford to buy new handles once a week.

Upvote 0

Chuck-N-Detroit

Oct 18, 2010
Warren, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Equinox and Deus
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have your solution

I'm having a string of bad luck with scoop handles on my Stealth. I am not a large person, 5'11 and about 170 lbs. I don't unga bunga on the handle but I do like to get as much material as I can... isn't that the point?
I'm on my third handle in about 1 month of scooping. And not much scooping, either. Maybe 10 hours total.
The most disappointing break was yesterday, when the handle snapped on my 2nd scoop! I had broken one on Friday, went out with a new one on Saturday and on literally my second scoop with this brand new handle I heard a snap and I was out of commission.
I'm on my last handle and I've got a crack forming. I've put a couple of hose clamps on there in an effort to get a little more time out of it but I'm nervous while digging now.
I like to get a lot of material at once, but now I'm treating this thing like a china doll for fear of snapping my last handle. Do you guys dig gingerly? I'm wondering if I need to change my approach, or take much smaller bites. I certainly can't afford to buy new handles once a week.

Hello and sorry to hear of your problem.
We have been selling scoops with wood handle for over 25 years and never heard of them breaking until the last couple years. When we had a couple break, i just wrote it off as Mother Nature screwing up but now I need to study this problem and get to the bottom of it.

I have the handles custom made of Ash. I will contact my supplier in N. Carolina and see what is doing on.

In the mean time, we are going to do 100% testing of all handles by putting a load on them a number of times before shipping.

For you catamount, we will build a special handle. We will first use a tested handle, insert a Carbon Fiber tube in the end and use marine grade epoxy to secure it. Of course, no cost to you. We will ship about Wed the 3rd.

Again,
Sorry for your set back, I know what it is like to have equipment failure while out hunting.

Regards,
Chuck

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your the man Chuck. That's awesome customer service. Nice to see in a time when many companies don't care about the customer, just the money. Thanks for replying to this thread.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, wow! Chuck, that's excellent customer service. I apologize for saying that the attachment point was a poor design. I didnt realize that you had so much success with it up until recently.

OP
OP
C

catamount

Greenie
Sep 12, 2013
New England, USA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuck,

I didn't actually think you'd see this thread... wow! Your offer is very generous, and I will gladly accept your reinforced handle. I think it's a great idea to put a rod inside of the handle, to eliminate any flexion where the wood meets the stainless. I can't wait to test the new design.

I want to reiterate that I LOVE this scoop. Thank you for producing a made-in-the-USA product that is a pleasure to use.

romanf

May 10, 2014
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705
Excalibur II 1000
Excalibur II 800
Garrett Recon AML-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several species of ash, some are weaker than others. The best wood for handles is hickory with very high tensile strength.

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hickory is great, but another point to make is make sure you have the grain of the wood right in the install.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stand up customer service Chuck, let me know how that new handle goes, just got my scoop couple weeks ago and have been given it the workout. Ash handle holding up so far, but I am curious to see this new one your getting.

powered by pull tabs

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great customer service. Awesome to see in our hobby!!!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That is excellent customer service and that is why I have a Stealth and it is my favorite scoop!

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
Dang,

Someone post a question trying to find why his handles are failing, not pointing a finger and "BAM", Chuck steps up and says - We hear you and steps in to help. I AM SOLD! I know where my next scoop and handle will come from!

Duane

romanf

May 10, 2014
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705
Excalibur II 1000
Excalibur II 800
Garrett Recon AML-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you replaced the handles on the scoop, where were they stored?

Chuck,

I didn't actually think you'd see this thread... wow! Your offer is very generous, and I will gladly accept your reinforced handle. I think it's a great idea to put a rod inside of the handle, to eliminate any flexion where the wood meets the stainless. I can't wait to test the new design.

I want to reiterate that I LOVE this scoop. Thank you for producing a made-in-the-USA product that is a pleasure to use.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuck: You might want to have the broken handles returned, so that you and your supplier will be better able to
determine reason for failure(s). Could be they were to dry, I don't know, in Hawaii failure would most likely to have been
caused by termites " bon appetit."

Hello and sorry to hear of your problem.
We have been selling scoops with wood handle for over 25 years and never heard of them breaking until the last couple years. When we had a couple break, i just wrote it off as Mother Nature screwing up but now I need to study this problem and get to the bottom of it.

I have the handles custom made of Ash. I will contact my supplier in N. Carolina and see what is doing on.

In the mean time, we are going to do 100% testing of all handles by putting a load on them a number of times before shipping.

For you catamount, we will build a special handle. We will first use a tested handle, insert a Carbon Fiber tube in the end and use marine grade epoxy to secure it. Of course, no cost to you. We will ship about Wed the 3rd.

Again,
Sorry for your set back, I know what it is like to have equipment failure while out hunting.

Regards,
Chuck

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Get an all stainless steel RTG scoop.

OP
OP
C

catamount

Greenie
Sep 12, 2013
New England, USA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you replaced the handles on the scoop, where were they stored?

They were stored on a shelf in my attached garage, in the plastic bag they were originally shipped to me in.

Chuck: You might want to have the broken handles returned, so that you and your supplier will be better able to
determine reason for failure(s). Could be they were to dry, I don't know, in Hawaii failure would most likely to have been
caused by termites " bon appetit."

I'd be happy to send them in.

Get an all stainless steel RTG scoop.

Why would I do that? Those RTG scoops have a "limited" 90 day warranty. My Stealth scoop has a LIFETIME warranty, from a guy who clearly backs up everything he sells. I'm a Sunspot customer for life.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home depot. Wood Ash handles, $9.00 still have the first one I put on. I use a T-Rex 9 1/2 scoop. The best! Ray

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We went to fiberglass HOE handles that are about $12 at tractor supply. Then add a hard wood dowel inside. Havent had one break since.... plus we learned NOT to try and bury that 14" scoop by going straight down and trying to move that much material. My buddy broke 2 handles and bent the back of his scoop twice before he learned how to use that monster.

Dew

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like the exact scoop and handle I have. I'm guessing you bought yours from Chuck too. I have absolutely no problem with my handle and I do "unga bunga" on mine. I believe you got some defective handles. They both broke in the same spot??? :icon_scratch:

I love my setup!

Fenway

OP
OP
C

catamount

Greenie
Sep 12, 2013
New England, USA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We went to fiberglass HOE handles that are about $12 at tractor supply. Then add a hard wood dowel inside. Havent had one break since.... plus we learned NOT to try and bury that 14" scoop by going straight down and trying to move that much material. My buddy broke 2 handles and bent the back of his scoop twice before he learned how to use that monster.

Dew

Hmm, I like the idea of the fiberglass handle! Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread