I keep snapping scoop handles... why?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: I keep snapping scoop handles... why?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2013
    New England, USA
    Tesoro Tiger Shark
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I'm having a string of bad luck with scoop handles on my Stealth. I am not a large person, 5'11 and about 170 lbs. I don't unga bunga on the handle but I do like to get as much material as I can... isn't that the point?

I'm on my third handle in about 1 month of scooping. And not much scooping, either. Maybe 10 hours total.

The most disappointing break was yesterday, when the handle snapped on my 2nd scoop! I had broken one on Friday, went out with a new one on Saturday and on literally my second scoop with this brand new handle I heard a snap and I was out of commission.

I'm on my last handle and I've got a crack forming. I've put a couple of hose clamps on there in an effort to get a little more time out of it but I'm nervous while digging now.

I like to get a lot of material at once, but now I'm treating this thing like a china doll for fear of snapping my last handle. Do you guys dig gingerly? I'm wondering if I need to change my approach, or take much smaller bites. I certainly can't afford to buy new handles once a week.

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    14481 times
    Metal Detecting
    what kind of wood?
    Iím the only one of me, baby thatís the fun of me.. / brendon urie

DONíT TRUST WHITEY / Navin Johnson

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK.
    ITS GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THATíS WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY. / Bebe rexha

IF YOUíRE LOST AND ALONE, OR YOUíRE SINKING LIKE A STONE, CARRY ON / Fun

AND IN THE END THE LOVE YOU TAKE IS EQUAL TO THE LOVE YOU MAKE. - Paul mccartney

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    14481 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'd use oak

nz
    Jan 2013
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Minelab E-track, Excalibur 2 ,CTX3030
    198 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    One simple advice: Buy A stainless steet handle ;-) i broke 5 or more voden and fibre glass ones before i decided, screw that, i will have extra weight but solid scoop
    *2015*Rings PlT/PD=1 GOLD=87 STG=90 Junk=130

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    14481 times
    Metal Detecting
    they spell funny in NZ

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7974 times
    The Truth
    Made in china garbage?If so theres your answer.

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    14481 times
    Metal Detecting
    LOL, like where a tree grows makes a difference
    -Taz- likes this.

Sep 2013
    New England, USA
    Tesoro Tiger Shark
    3 times
    These are the handles Sunspot sells. I highly doubt they are made in China. I think they're made here, out of ash. Anyway, is it common to go through wooden handles? Has anyone found a strong replacement that will fit the Stealth?

us
    Honorary Goonie

Jul 2014
    NH
    Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    1265 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honestly, I have been a second-generation machinist my whole life. I grew up in my father's shop. Whenever he wanted something, he made it. Therefore - and I hate to brag - but I'm a fair engineer. In my honest, and humble opinion, the design of where those stealth scoops attach to the handle is a poor one, considering the most-common handle materials used.

Look at it a minute: The handle clamps down on the wood about right where the whole amount of torque from levering back with a full scoop of material. Clamping those U-bolts down even tighter only squeezes and compresses the wood fibers, making sure that any lateral stresses applied will only make them crack and split even more prematurely.

If I had a stealth scoop, I would surely use a stainless tube as a handle. It would surely bend before it breaks. The carbon fiber handle is probably quite rugged as well, albeit quite costly. If you are looking for a low-cost solution, I would try some 1" EMT. Cheap and strong.

I hope some of this resonates and helps. Let us know if you make a change and how it works! Good luck and HH!

Higgy
    romanf likes this.
    Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window.

Sep 2013
    New England, USA
    Tesoro Tiger Shark
    3 times
    Higgy,

Thanks very much for your feedback! I think you are right about the u-bolts compressing the wood and making it more fragile. I definitely think that the connection between the handle and the scoop does need to be reinforced somehow. Perhaps a thin metal shim between the u-bolt and handle before tightening the bolt down would do the trick. 1" EMP sounds like a good idea! It sounds heavy though :/

I'd also like everyone to know that I'm digging in the water, in wet heavy sand. The scoop itself is built like a brick sh__house. I'm a big fan of the scoop! It's just the bottom of the handle that takes a real beating.

us
    Nov 2013
    TN
    Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
    1633 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkBrother View Post
    One simple advice: Buy A stainless steet handle ;-) i broke 5 or more voden and fibre glass ones before i decided, screw that, i will have extra weight but solid scoop
    Dude! You broke fiberglass scoop handles? You gotta be some serial waite liftur!
    "Those who cannot compete intellectually tend to develop a cultural aversion to the whole idea." -- Fred Reed
    ========================================
    Minelab Safari
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab CTX 3030

us
    Honorary Goonie

Jul 2014
    NH
    Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    1265 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    Higgy,
    I definitely think that the connection between the handle and the scoop does need to be reinforced somehow. Perhaps a thin metal shim between the u-bolt and handle before tightening the bolt down would do the trick. 1" EMP sounds like a good idea! It sounds heavy though :/
    I would suggest buying a piece of the EMT approximately the same diameter as the wood handle. Cut off a section - maybe 12-18 inches, and slice it in half, lengthwise. Clamshell it onto the handle, and then clamp it . That way it may act to distribute the clamping forces to spread over a wider area. Hey its worth a try?
    Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window.

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7974 times
    The Truth
    LOL, like where a tree grows makes a difference
    No it doesnt,but it seems to me the type of wood that is used does.

Sep 2013
    New England, USA
    Tesoro Tiger Shark
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
    I would suggest buying a piece of the EMT approximately the same diameter as the wood handle. Cut off a section - maybe 12-18 inches, and slice it in half, lengthwise. Clamshell it onto the handle, and then clamp it . That way it may act to distribute the clamping forces to spread over a wider area. Hey its worth a try?
    Not a bad idea, but I don't think it's possible. The wood handles from Stealth come with a machined face in the back (to fit snugly against the flat back of the mount) and pre-routed indentations for the u-bolts. In other words, there is VERY little room for slack in the setup, and certainly no room for a clamshelled pipe of any thickness. It's actually a tight fit just getting the u-bolts on as-is.

us
    Mar 2008
    Coos Bay, Oregon
    DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
    1075 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I have that exact scoop and I put an orange fiberglass pultruded handle on mine (salvaged from a pole saw). At first the ubolts crushed it so I cut it off and put fiberglass resin in the first 6 inches so the ubolts can't crush it...no problems so far, although I have only used it about 10 times.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links