dive boots question

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to purchase some dive boots to wear in lake and surf. I wont be walking on rocks very often, mostly just beach sand and mucky lake bottom. I notice most people seem to be wearing the high top version. I would assume the high tops are better at keeping the sand out. Does anyone wear the low tops and are they sufficient in the surf or if I should just avoid them altogether? And there are tons of different brands. Do most people just buy the ones in the $25-$30 range or are those just junk?

Upvote 0

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been using a pair of low cut OP's I purchased for $8 in March and they work fine in the surf. They have a great rubber bottom on them and a Velcro strap on top.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The high top version are most likely designed for wearing a wet suit and keeping your legs completely covered. I don't think they would help any if your wearing shorts and just walking around in the shallows. Sand will get in them - just make sure you get a good rubber bottom to protect your feet.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Tried thin soled low tops here on the Florida beaches and found sand getting into them and felt every little sea shell and piece of trash through the soles. Ended up with these and have been very pleased. One note though, you must clean them good after every use or they will quickly pick up odors and let you know where they are! I use white vinegar in water to clean mine and oft times sprinkle baking soda on them as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EZN0N0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
I wear high top boots all year long. The boots I have are Seasoft Stealth SEASOFT STEALTH? 6 mm Booties - Booties. I had purchased a pair of Mare boots like the ones in the above post but they seemed to be cut a little to big to fit me right. I think the Mare boots would be just as good as the Seasoft for beach hunting. The reason I wear the boots is for arch support not sand and shell protection. My wife broke her foot (stress fracture) requiring surgery and a 6 month recovery. When I was using soft soled surfer boots and walking on the beach for 4-6 hours I was developing a pain in my foot similar to what she was having before her foot broke. I spoke with my doctor and she said I needed more arch support, so I went to the boots. The pain in my foot went away before I ended up with a stress fracture, so it was well worth the price to me. I still get sand in the boots, but not enough to make it uncomfortable in a single hunt. Just my thoughts. Beach Papa

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a pair of low top felt bottom waterproof shoes/boots which are ideal for walking on slippery rocks/reefs from NRS, about one year ago and use them every time and everywhere I hunt, shallow water, in the surf, wet sand, on the reef, wet sand, and on dry sand (get a little warm). I highly recommend them as they are well made and I found NRS a good company to deal with.
I am astonished how well these low top felt bottom shoes keep the sand out, especially since I purposely purchased them two sizes larger than my normal shoe size. I needed to go to a larger shoe size as I have edema where one of my foot swells when sitting as a result of a staph infection.

I also purchased a pair of high top hard bottom boots that kayakers use, in addition to my reef hoppers, which provide more protection but have not even bothered using them as they are warmer. NRS even shipped free to me in Hawaii as I purchased some additional items and qualifed for free shipping.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like stuff like this Flats Sneaker - Footwear - SHOP because they provide better support for long outings. When I am river hunting, I know that I am going to be face down in the water a lot, and not on my feet, I like to wear tall dive boots with hard soles. I wear socks with both styles of boots, because no matter what - the sand always creeps in, and the socks really do a great job of keeping my feet comfortable.

My motto: Clothing is gear too. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
metalhealth

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok good info. so it sounds like the hi tops arent really any better for keeping the sand out. i think i would like the feel of the low tops better. sometimes in the lake you can get into some pretty mucky bottom and sink down some. so maybe ill get a pair of hit tops for the lake and low cut for the beach. thanks for the advice.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wear Nike sneakers. You get sand no matter what. The shoes provide arch support. Spend 3-4 hours in the water and the arch support is important for me. If the sand gets too bad I just stop and dump the sand out of the shoes.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THE HIGH TOPS I WEAR KEEP THE SAND OUT - BELIEVE ME - YOU EVER GO TO FLA. IN THE SURF - YOU'D WISH YOU HAD A GOOD HIGH TOP - YOU GET CORAL SAND IN YOU SHOE AND YOU WONT BE HAPPY - I USUALLY WEAR OLD SOCKS WITH MINE TOO - BUT HAVE A FEW PAIR THAT I DONT
WINTERS COMING AND MANY STORES HAVE SALES - KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN - SOMETIME CHEAP IS CHEAP QUALITY - BUT SOMETIMES YOU CAN GET GREAT BARGINS IN THE FALL AND SUMMER ON QUALITY EXPENSIVE BOOTS FOR CHEAP

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*snip* Regarding quality- SOMETIME CHEAP IS CHEAP QUALITY - BUT SOMETIMES YOU CAN GET GREAT BARGINS IN THE FALL AND SUMMER ON QUALITY EXPENSIVE BOOTS FOR CHEAP

Despite the caps, Casper is right. A quality sock is needed in the wetboots. I try to find synthetic/wool blends, and I usually get decent deals from Cabelas. I like tall boots with over-the-calf socks. Much more comfortable.

Also, in my humble opinion, NRS makes the best boots you can get for this sort of stuff. Check out the selection on their site: Men > Footwear > Water Shoes at nrs.com

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess our needs are different. My detecting is done in freshwater inland lakes. No coral dust to get into the shoes.

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
If you plan to hunt in cold water with a wet suit, hi tops will be better to keep your feet warm when covered by the wetsuit legs.
Cold feet aren't any fun and shorten your time in the water. Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread