Final and definitive fresh water rig discussions and sugestions please

Air4Andy

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read a lot of forums and taken a lot of advice, but I just wanted to post one thread of my own to make my final decision on a purchase.

I am looking to purchase a new metal detector to use in fresh water and during fresh water scuba diving. I live is Wisconsin and I have to drive a long way to do any salt water detecting, so I'm not purchasing for this reason. I have heard the VLF is the way to go because PI doesn't discriminate really at all, and with all the iron in fresh water lakes that doesn't dissolve because there is no salt, a PI detector will just go berserk. Now I'm also not 100% studied in BBS and FBS, but it sounds like these are the best way to go.

Now I'm looking at either a Garrett Infinium LS or a Minelab Excalibur II. Both can be submerged to 200 feet. The Garrett uses Full range PI with 96 frequencies and the Excalibur II uses their BBS that I believe has 28 frequencies. Correct me if I'm wrong but their BBS is a type of VLF? Maybe?

Anyways, let the debate begin with any and all ideas and experience. I currently have a Garrett AT Pro which I really like for shallow water and rivers, but I really want to get a little deeper than 10ft. Thanks in advance! I look forward to your replies.

Upvote 0

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i Have used many detectors and the excal 2 is what I use for diving, I have two of them and love em. I have had a whites, a sand shark, at pro, fisher cz-21. The excal has much more descrim than an infinum but also has all metal mode for deeper searching. Once the sounds have been learned it is GREAT. To be honest the ONLY other machine I may get is the ATX, to use for heavily hunted beaches. The truth is......a PI you will dig it all.......a machine with descrim will say "Gold Ring!!" most of the time. Put your coil over it and dig, I just dodn't want to dig it ALL. You will still dig trash but can often id it before you have dug it up. Lots of smart people on here and you will get great info. Good luck with your next stick!

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to hunt only fresh water , I would look at a Tiger shark by Tesoro. You can go down 200 ft. It's a VLF , it cost about $650, and haves a Life time warranty.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about the CZ-21? One of our most-seasoned water hunting veterans here, Casper, swears by them. So much so, I'll be putting one on order next month. Its pretty hard to argue with his finds and what he has found them with.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, maybe not the deepest but it will find gold chains and the tiniest bits of gold, in addition to the big stuff. Also easily mounted on a belt. 3 piece shaft breaks down small for easy transport. Hard to go wrong with the TS in fresh water, just keep the o-ring clean and greased.
If you are going to hunt only fresh water , I would look at a Tiger shark by Tesoro. You can go down 200 ft. It's a VLF , it cost about $650, and haves a Life time warranty.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the CZ-21? One of our most-seasoned water hunting veterans here, Casper, swears by them. So much so, I'll be putting one on order next month. Its pretty hard to argue with his finds and what he has found them with.

WHY THANK YOU - BUT THERE ARE A TON OF GUYS AND GALS HERE THAT HAVE DONE OR DO JUST AS WELL AS I WITH OTHER MACHINES OUT THERE OVER THE YRS - I THINK I GET THE MOST OUT OF MY CZ21s - IT IS A TANK - AND NOT AS FRAGILE AS SOME OF THE OTHER MACHINES
IVE DOVE WITH IT AND IT PERFORMS GREAT - GOTTA DO SOME VIDS EVENTUALLY
BUT IVE SAID IT BEFORE - YOU PUT ANY MACHINE IN MY HAND - I WILL LEARN IT AND PROBABLY DO JUST AS WELL - ITS WHAT YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH - AND WHICH ONE YOU FEEL YOU CAN PERFORM THE BEST WITH
IF YOU CAN - TRY TO FIND SOMEONE NEAR YOU THAT MAY HAVE 1 OR2 MACHINES YOU CAN TRY - LOT OF THE VETS LIKE MYSELF HAVE BACK UPS
AND MIGHT BE ABLE TO LET YOU TRY ONE - I KNOW SOME GUYS THAT HAVE JUST ABOUT EVERY MACHINE OUT THERE - MET A FEW WITH VANS THAT HAVE THEM HANGING ON BOTH SIDES - TRY AND MAKE A HOOK UP - THERE ARE LOT OF NICE PEOPLE HERE AND YOU MAY BE ABLE TO FIND ONE THAT CAN HELP YOU OUT IN PERSON - GOOD LUCK

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you spend money to freshwater detect in Wisconsin, I would take a close look at your state's laws regarding metal detecting in the water. Last I heard all lakes fall under the DNR and detecting isn't allowed unless you are looking for a specific lost item. It is a fairly new law, like 2009.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread