Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The most common and successful detecting that I do is in shallow water up to eyeball deep. I have various sand scoops that I have purchased over the years and each has dug some gold. I now think that a decent scoop is almost as important as the kind and quality of detector. If it is a hassle to dig a target, I tend to get too fussy over which ones to dig and most likely leave good things behind. The longer it takes to recover a target takes away from the time to search for the next one.

A little story. I was down on a private Caribbean beach that could only be hunted at night when people were not using it. My wife like to swim like a fish, but was not so interested in detecting. I would go out for a few of hours of detecting before calling it a night to return about 2 AM. Of course, I was not up with the sun the next day. Anyway, with hunting at night, I would do it without lights, so not attract unnecessary attention. When I got a good signal, I would pinpoint and place my foot behind my coil and then put the lip of the scoop in front of my toe. I would take a full scoop of sand/shells and place my foot into the hole so I could find the spot easily again. Over the course of the night, there would be targets that I moved but did not retain in the scoop. Bobby pins are horrible for this. Until I mounted a magnet, I bet there were some pins that I would detect, recover and lose a number of times. The point of the story is actually, what happened each morning. My wife would get up for an early swim in the crystal clear water with mask and snorkel and guess what - she found gold. She could see where I had disturbed the bottom and many times the flash of something worth diving up. Tiny gold chains or pendants were the most common. This things either did not get fully into my scoop and fell off as it was raised or washed out thru the holes.

Here is my two cents:
1) scoops with wooden handles are great, unless you need to take them apart after having them in water. The longer the handle the better for leverage and to leave the metal scoop out of the way of the coil. The wood swells after being in the water and the scoop is stuck tight. If you use one on a trip, take a small saw or make friends with hotel maintenance so you can cut it off if necessary. Also, I have always been able to find a hardware store on any of the Caribbean islands that sell wood handles, if I did not want to take one in my luggage.
2) Iron handles rust quickly in salt water. Everything you wear will have orange stains on it. The ones that pull apart are quite nice if made correctly.
3) The larger the scoop the better and it should have a kick plate or nice place to put your foot when you dig.
4) Large holes in the scoop are great for sifting, but small targets swim out. I would never use one with holes large enough for a pull tab to fall out.
5) Small holes in the scoop keep more of the smaller good stuff, but also tons of shells plus it takes longer to sift.
6) If the water is calm, towing a sifter is sometimes the "cat's pajamas". You scoop into the sifter and let it sort itself out while you continue to detect. It is no good in a spot where too many people are because it will either bang into a swimmer or worse people will come up and grab it to look to see what you are finding. For this reason, always leave junk in it.
7) The lip of the scoop is an important feature. I like a longer lip so I can take a bite out of the surface and then tilt it up while resting on the bottom so all of the dirt is retained.
8) It is easier to fly with a small scoop. Once I get there, I always wish for a bigger one.
9) A scoop is pretty much useless in large rocks.
10) A scoop that you can dismantle into a few parts is pretty handy for putting into a backpack for walking around. Of course it is also good for air travel.
11) A scoop that you can dismantle is also subject to failure and difficult to repair when away.
12) A plastic scoop will crack or wear out quickly, especially if you need to step on it to dig. However, a small one with scuba is handy.
13) A metal scoop with scuba interferes with the detector. If detecting a small area, it can be left on the bottom and retrieved when necessary.

I look forward to a lively discussion.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where your coming from an have settled on the Sunspot Stealth. 720i.PNG

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I TAKE A LARGE RTG 2 PIECE TRAVEL SCOOP ON MY TRIPS
rtgbbtv6mini.jpg
I ALSO TAKE A SMALLER 2 PIECE STAINLESS ONE AS A BACK UP AND USE AT RITZY RESORTS THAT MIGHT FROWN ON THE LARGER ONE

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IVE HUNTED WITH TWO DIFFERENT FRIENDS THAT SNAPPED THEIR WOODEN HANDLES AND WERE DONE FOR THE DAY
SOMEONE GAVE ME ONE WITH A WOODEN HANDLE THAT WAS ATTATCHED TO THE SCOOP WITH MUFFLER CLAMPS
THIN COINS WERE ALWAYS GETTING STUCK UNDER THE HANDLE - I GAVE IT TO A NEWBIE TILL HE CAN AFFORD A BETTER ONE

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HERE IS AN ARTICLE I DID ON SCOOPS - IT IS OLDER - SO SOME OF THE NEWER SCOOPS ARENT MENTIONED BUT IT MAY HELP SOME OUT THERE
(CLICKING EACH PAGE PIC TWICE - SHOULD GIVE YOU A GOOD READABLE PIC)
54c.jpg 55c.jpg
56c.jpg 57c.jpg
58c.jpg 59c.jpg
60c.jpg 61c.jpg
62c.jpg

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IVE HUNTED WITH TWO DIFFERENT FRIENDS THAT SNAPPED THEIR WOODEN HANDLES AND WERE DONE FOR THE DAY
SOMEONE GAVE ME ONE WITH A WOODEN HANDLE THAT WAS ATTATCHED TO THE SCOOP WITH MUFFLER CLAMPS
THIN COINS WERE ALWAYS GETTING STUCK UNDER THE HANDLE - I GAVE IT TO A NEWBIE TILL HE CAN AFFORD A BETTER ONE
That's why I take my RTG scoop as backup...I love my Stealth and never worry because I always have a back up in the car...RTG 6 inch is a great scoop but my Stealth 720 recovers targets much faster in the water.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent article Casper! One of my store bought scoops is the same as your friend Lucky Luke. I bought it because I thought I liked the design of the handle, but really don't find it all that helpful. The basket is also too small for a good bite of sand. It also rusts in salt water. On the other hand, it does break down for air travel.

The story about the shark is a good one. I was told, but don't know if it is true, that you don't have to worry about sharks if there is an offshore reef. The sharks will stay on the far side of the reef and not venture into the warmer protected water. I have never seen one, so that might be correct. I have had one of those little remoras (that swim with sharks) hang around me. That was spooky enough.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent article Casper! One of my store bought scoops is the same as your friend Lucky Luke. I bought it because I thought I liked the design of the handle, but really don't find it all that helpful. The basket is also too small for a good bite of sand. It also rusts in salt water. On the other hand, it does break down for air travel.

The story about the shark is a good one. I was told, but don't know if it is true, that you don't have to worry about sharks if there is an offshore reef. The sharks will stay on the far side of the reef and not venture into the warmer protected water. I have never seen one, so that might be correct. I have had one of those little remoras (that swim with sharks) hang around me. That was spooky enough.

Remoras, you gotta love those critters!
True story: Robby and I were just about to back flip into the water off Destin Florida, to scuba dive on a small coral reef in about seventy five to eighty five feet of water, when we saw a very large remora swimming around the 18 foot Thunderbird boat we diving off of. Upon seeing the remora ,neither of us said a word, we just took off our air tanks and diving gear and broke out light tackle fishing tackle. We caught the remora and cut it into large chunks to see if there was a shark near. After running out of remora we started catching trigger fish which we would stab and then float on the water. Suddenly the dorsal fin of a large bull shark appeared of the stern of out boat, followed by a giant swirl as it took the trigger fish. What happened next was truely amazing, the bull shark extended its front fins, and lifted itself enough to look into the boat we were in, which suddenly felt small. It was not aggressive but had what appeared like a smile or toothy grin as if to say thank you.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good story Sir Gala Clad....but I don't think a shark says "thanks". Instead, I bet he was in the mood for desert....Looking at you in your wet suit thinking, "Man, I just love those things: soft and chewy on the outside, warm and crunchy on the inside.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remoras, you gotta love those critters!
True story: Robby and I were just about to back flip into the water off Destin Florida, to scuba dive on a small coral reef in about seventy five to eighty five feet of water, when we saw a very large remora swimming around the 18 foot Thunderbird boat we diving off of. Upon seeing the remora ,neither of us said a word, we just took off our air tanks and diving gear and broke out light tackle fishing tackle. We caught the remora and cut it into large chunks to see if there was a shark near. After running out of remora we started catching trigger fish which we would stab and then float on the water. Suddenly the dorsal fin of a large bull shark appeared of the stern of out boat, followed by a giant swirl as it took the trigger fish. What happened next was truely amazing, the bull shark extended its front fins, and lifted itself enough to look into the boat we were in, which suddenly felt small. It was not aggressive but had what appeared like a smile or toothy grin as if to say thank you.
That was Jabber Jaws...hes from a carton back in the 70s.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was Jabber Jaws...hes from a carton back in the 70s.

I looked it up on You Tube and see what you mean.
I guess that is what you would expect from Jabber Jaws but the colors were different, jaws less pronounced and those beady eyes were further apart.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story Sir Gala Clad....but I don't think a shark says "thanks". Instead, I bet he was in the mood for desert....Looking at you in your wet suit thinking, "Man, I just love those things: soft and chewy on the outside, warm and crunchy on the inside.

Maybe when I was younger, but now I would look more like a badly worn innertube in Florida waters, or a large wolf eel in New England waters.

Only in heavily fished Florida would I appear that good, even in my younger days, to a shark - and then only if it was
injured and turned rogue. Think of all the yummy fish, shrimp, squid and octopus in the water, there is too choose from.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did not see the story on the shark, but I would not worry too much about sharks.

If you see one and it is aggressive you can easily fend it off with a short jab to it's nose with your scoop. Being hit in this sensitive area is a real house of pain for most sharks sending a quivering wave back along their spine.

While sharks like the outside reef during the day as it is easier to escape to deeper water, as well as cooler, they follow their food source and definitely come in close to shore at day break and toward evening. I have seen schools of shark at beaches at day break that are very popular with families and beach goers later in the morning, the day while fishing at the Air Force Base near Panama City Florida, and have had to hit the water with the tip of my fishing rod to drive one of those sharks away with the noise when it got too close for comfort. Sharks also come in at night.

I would say detecting near a river mouth after heavy rains would expose you to the greatest risk while metal detecting. Sharks have salinity sensors which they use to find prey as they swim to where the water is less salty as they are looking for dead animals and other food that is flowing out to sea from the river after heavy rains.
In addition to there being more sharks, the sharks (they have excellent eyesight) have difficulty in discriminating potential targets such as humans which they would normally avoid while they home in on vibrations from their prey.

Bye the way, this is not a good time to pee in your wet suite!
As this and blood will also attract them!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread