Low Pressure Reserve Tanks for hookahs

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tank.jpg

All this talk about hookahs has got me thinking about reserve tanks.

Ive been using my brownie for years without one, but I figure why push my luck, Next summer I would like to use one.

Anyone here ever build their own? Are there other items that could be re-purposed and do the job?

After shipping, around $100 seems a steep for a plastic float, but if that's the only practical way to do it I will.

Thanks

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IVE GOT ONE OF THOSE FOR MY ELECTRIC ONE AND SEEN SIMILAR ONES FOR OTHER ELECTRICS
IVE YET TO SEE ONE ON A GAS UNIT - COULD IT BE THEY CANT BE USED ON A GAS ONE??

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Keene dredge (gas powered) has a T-80 compressor and they all come with that same reserve. It also serves the purpose of letting the moisture drop out and letting the air cool. You will also need a short section of hose to run from the compressor to the reserve tank. If you are running a double hose, you can put a "T" fitting on the outflow side.

Last edited:

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have seen soda kegs used by dredger's. I have bought soda kegs for 25.00 a piece. Try a home brew supply store, they sell used ones to brewers. It would provide a little larger supply of air at a cheaper price.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen soda kegs used by dredger's. I have bought soda kegs for 25.00 a piece. Try a home brew supply store, they sell used ones to brewers. It would provide a little larger supply of air at a cheaper price.

But they also require a lot of DIY to make work.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, guys.

Maybe I'll keep a eye on ebay and Classifieds here list. If nothing comes around by spring then I'll order a new one.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a Keene electric and it did not have a reserve tank. I never found that I needed it.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Keene electric and it did not have a reserve tank. I never found that I needed it.

Ive had mine ( Brownie W/Honda) about 10 years and it never unexpectedly shutdown either.... But I keep thinking there is always a first time and I may be taking my rookie TH'ing buddy diving next summer.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ive had mine ( Brownie W/Honda) about 10 years and it never unexpectedly shutdown either.... But I keep thinking there is always a first time and I may be taking my rookie TH'ing buddy diving next summer.

I have had the belt break and once I had the compressor pulley explode. I have also run out of gas several times. When you are within NDLs there is no fear of just coming up to the surface when you have to. Even though I have had many times the compressor stopped, I have never run out of air. Probably because I have the reserve tank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread