gold nugget on the outer banks?

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Spent the week at OBX, finds were few and far between but I did find what looks like a good nugget. It rang up as a 12 04 on the etrac and is heavy for its size. I shaved a piece off the end and it is gold colored all the way through. I won't get my test kit until Friday but was curious if others have found a similar item on the beach. Maybe a broken piece of jewelry that had been tumbled for years?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vabuckhunter

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Here's the pictures

Attachments

• 20141019_100645.jpg
    20141019_100645.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 20141019_100626.jpg
    20141019_100626.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 221

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The color looks good. What beach did you find it on ? There's a lot of sand fill down there. I'm headin' down tomorrow for the day to do some fishing probably on the island. Not sure if I'll get any huntin' done on the north beaches. Maybe I'll go back next weakend just to hunt. Good luck I hope it turns out to be the real thing.

OP
OP
vabuckhunter

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
It was around milepost 16, Found some clad and a sterling earring along with 3 junk rings but like you said looks to have a lot of fill left on the beaches. Fishing was pretty good on little bridge all week with puppy drum, trout, blues and stripers. Guide luck

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's an interesting find, buckhunter:thumbsup:.

Sorry that I can't help with the ID, but the color looks really good to me.

Lorraine

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went down yesterday and fished south of Avon. Caught one flounder. On the way down we stopped at Jennett's, Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo and ramp #27. People fishing the surf everywhere but not much being caught. We usually stop by Whalebone Junction and the bridge. Maybe we should have hit that and tried our luck. There were some nice cuts on the island, man if it could only be hunted. Let us know if the piece that you found turns out to be Gold.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will give you another thought and some might think it morbid. It might be dental gold. For example, people get cremated and many ashes get dumped into the ocean. I suspect with the price of gold that it is somehow now captured before the ashes going into the bag. However, in the past it was probably dumped. I have found molars with silver fillings in Jamaica. I got so many over the years, that it is the only explanation that I have (alternatively too many people swim with loose teeth). A bit creepy, so I tossed them back.

Elfy

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2014
Charlottesville
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey I am heading down to Duck soon. Any good spots to detect down there? Are there places that are off limits? Where do you recommend looking on the beaches with all that fill sand? Up high? Near Waterline? Low Tide? I am a beginner to MDing but have tried a bit at Sandbridge and Duck. I mostly get fish hooks and weights. Sandbridge gave me 4 tent pegs last time I was there. Any help much appreciated.

OP
OP
vabuckhunter

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Hey Elfy I see your from Charlottesville, Im from Greene. I really know nothing about beach metal detecting but I would go up past mile post 11 because they did the replenishment from 11 to 20 but if you are up in Duck then it shouldnt matter. What kind of machine are you running?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread