lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi:hello:,

Yesterday I hunted for 3/4 hr. wondering why I wasn't getting any target sounds:dontknow:; it finally dawned on me ( guess I'm a little slow on the uptake:laughing7:) that I should investigate the problem.

Checked the coil against the scoop: sound present , but a bit weak

Checked a penny on top of the dry sand: sound present

Checked the penny in about 2" of sand: nada!:icon_scratch:; no depth at all!:BangHead:

Trekked back to the car and x-changed the Elite for the GT; all was well then, but not many finds..just clads; even back tracked over the area that I had worked earlier.

Today, I switched Elite units ( I had an x-tra), using the same coil as yesterday, and it worked fine.

Sooooooooooo....I'm supposing that yesterday's Elite unit is "kaput", and will have to have it checked out.

Hunted wet sand today following the tide out

Managed about $1.34 in clads, and a small, pretty silver earring.

Will keep you posted on what happens with the disabled Elite.

Here's a couple of pics of today's hunt.

Thanks for looking

Lorraine

DSCF3182.JPG

DSCF3184.JPG

DSCF3188.JPG

Upvote 0

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and glad you're getting out, Lorraine. Wish I could say the same. Hope you get your detector working again. I found a syringe at the swim park I go to about a week or two ago within about 5 feet of where kids get in and out of the water. Needle must have came off in the scoop, but I didn't look for it. I got enough problems without getting jabbed with someone else's sickness. Stay safe and keep on dirt fishing. I got 100% skunked and didn't even find a penny. Enjoyed the day or at least 2 hours I was able to hit the water. I was wearing chest waders and couldn't get out over waist deep with the boats making waves. 925 is good and gold is better. Happy hunting & good luck.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Lorraine,
Sorry to read about the problems you're experiencing with the SE! Please let us know what's up!
Best of luck!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed your post as I am laid up and can't get out. Glad the GT worked. I love mine, and its the only detector I use an inline pinpointer. it's like a 1" coil.:coffee2:

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Sorry that you can't get out there at this time, Sandman; hope all will be well with you ASAP

Lorraine

I enjoyed your post as I am laid up and can't get out. Glad the GT worked. I love mine, and its the only detector I use an inline pinpointer. it's like a 1" coil.:coffee2:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver recovery Lorraine! Was that how it came out? Hope the problem is solved soon for you.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thanks, detectahead

No, it was tarnished so soaked it in Tarn-X for a couple of minutes and then scrubbed it with baking soda, and shined it with jewelers' rouge.

Just wanted to see what it may have looked like in "new" condition because it is such a pretty earring; too bad the mate was not near it.

Lo

Nice silver recovery Lorraine! Was that how it came out? Hope the problem is solved soon for you.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used tarn-x but noticed it dulled the finish. Baking soda and jewelers rouge does the trick? Your silver always shines like its brand new!

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Yes, after soaking with Tarn-X ( which just removes the tarnish) the shine comes from the baking soda scrubbing and finally rubbing with jewelers' rouge on a chamois cloth

L

Used tarn-x but noticed it dulled the finish. Baking soda and jewelers rouge does the trick? Your silver always shines like its brand new!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much! New there was a trick to it!

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Earring. Good luck with the malfunction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread