Going to Cancun Nov 19-26, 2014 - Need hunting partner

abmaul

Feb 2, 2014
Jacksonville, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as the title says, I'll be in Cancun with my family from November 19 thru the 26th with my family. I'm going to be bringing my Garrett AT Pro with me and would like to hunt with someone. I've been to Cancun many times before but have never taken my detector. (still not sure what the best way is to pack it and my scoop?) None of my family is interested in detecting so I'll be by myself. Most likely I'll either go out in the early morning or right at dusk. We will be staying at the Great Parnassus which I have stayed at the past 2 times I've been to Cancun.

Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get a RTG travel scoop, if you do not have one. Or one that has a shaft that breaks down so the scoop will fit into your checked baggage. I gave up using my heavy duty water scoop when I could not afford the $75 each way charged for the hard shell golf bag I had used for several years to pack my scoop, detector shafts, and other water gear in. The savings paid for the scoop on the first trip. It has been years since I vacationed in Cancun, but I had my best luck in the water on the "top of the seven" beaches. - the beached facing north, not east as the Great Parnassus beaches face. It is a short bus ride getting there. I'd love to go, but I just returned from the DR and need a rest. Best of luck and "May the ring of gold be in your ears and its glitter in your scoop".

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"May the ring of gold be in your ears and its glitter in your scoop".

That's as fine an Irish blessing as this old mick has ever heard! :thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there was a guy on here that was new to water hunting that lives in Cancun
have not seen him post in awhile

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with your hunt. I usually detect alone on vacation too (not by choice - LOL). I have never had a problem with a take-down scoop and detector in my hard luggage. They always arrived in one piece. I have not detected Cancun, but have been in Cozumel several times. Nobody at any of the hotels that I was staying had an issue with me in their water. You are going at a great time of year, as the weather normally moves the light sand away (if you are lucky enough to hit it at one of those times).

OP
OP
A

abmaul

Feb 2, 2014
Jacksonville, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just got back from my trip to Cancun, Mexico. Had a great trip and the weather was perfect the entire time. I went out 2 times at 5 AM and hunter for 2:30 each time. Here are some of my tips for someone that wants to detect in the sand of Mexico:

I broke down my Garrett AT Pro and sand scoop in my hard luggage and it made it in one piece both ways.
I found absolutely nothing in the water, no signals at all.
I ran my detector in Pro Zero mode with iron discrepancy at 33.
I also had to run my sensitivity down to about 3/4 otherwise it would go off every time you touched a mound of sand that was sticking up.
The best place to search was around all the lawn chairs and around the bar area.
If it hit 55 or 56 it was garaunteed to be another darn pull tab - but I dug them all anyways (and there were a LOT of them)
Lots of those foil tear off tops from orange juice containers too!
No pro pointer was necessary and I loved digging in the sand barefoot.
I bought a sand scoop with holes in it but the wire backed ones would better because they will allow the sand to fall through easier.

Now on to my finds. I dug a good amount of coins, best was a 200 pesos. And then I found a bracelet on the second day. Stinking costume jewelry, until I got back to the room and cleaned it off - 925 SILVER. Woohoo. Also found a pendant off of a necklace and a small ring that I don't know what it's made out of yet.

I searched the volleyball and soccer fields and did not hit 1 target. Also, I didn't need a pouch, I just used the pocket on my swimming trunks and had plenty of room.

Here's a picture of some of my finds

Cancun Finds.JPG

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds, must have been a blast detecting in a completely different environment! That 200 pesos is from Colombia! Really neat! Can't wait to drink a few and hit the beach, heading to Mexico myself in a few weeks!

OP
OP
A

abmaul

Feb 2, 2014
Jacksonville, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck if you're detecting down there. What hotel are you staying at?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread