Honest and even brutal input Welcome.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me start out by saying I know there is a Tool Shed forum on here but I wanted opinions from actual water hunters: I modified a Garrett hand held sand scoop by adding a handle, what I am wanting advice on is if I put a 45 degree bend in the handle about 3/4 of the way up it would improve the performance or if the straight handle is good enough and the reason I used this is because I already owned it. I also don't water hunt a lot so I couldn't justify anything more expensive. total cost about 50 dollars. 100_4569.JPG 100_4568.JPG 100_4567.JPG

Upvote 1

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best $159.00 I ever spent on a water scoop was for a big ol' RTG aluminum long handle. I still miss her!

Attachments

• a16.jpg
    a16.jpg
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 122

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice work. I think you made it as strong as you could given the materials. Those rivets should hold as long as you don't stand on it in hard packed wet sand (but if you do that the scoop will crush anyway).

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Placergold, do you really only dig 100 bottle caps to get one good ring? Your doing a lot better than me!

No kidding. My ratio is more like 10,000 bottle caps to one gold ring. Maybe its a matter of perspective? Maybe I can say that I AM KING OF CAPS! haha! :headbang:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Placergold, do you really only dig 100 bottle caps to get one good ring? Your doing a lot better than me!

I'm running a few thousand pulltabs to one good ring! I gave up today and just dug the high tones but got a silver ring for it!

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pull tabs and bottle tops. I dig a bunch of them, but in some spots (the good secret spots) are probably 25 or 50 to 1. I have noticed that the nicer spots provide their drinks in glasses (like an all inclusive). That really limits the junk. Actually, I know one spot that I used to detect once or twice a year that was maybe 10-1 and I would get minimum a piece of gold per hour plus lots of black silver. The resort that I used to stay is no longer a hotel but I know the owner. I should set something up for a bunch of us and hit it again. It has been over 10 years since I have been there. It was the best of the best. I almost went last year, but ended up going to Curacao instead. Not so good for detecting, but quite a nice vacation.

What kills me about that spot is it would be unbelievable for shore dives with a detector. There were a couple of places that I could eyeball with mask/snorkel paper money and the odd piece of bling. Unfortunately, there is no local Scuba shop and the boat won't release tanks for independent diving. Once upon a time, there was a Scuba shop but they went under and were never replaced. For example, just up the shore is a bar with a slide into about 20' of water. I bet under that would pay for the trip. The bling I spotted from the surface was from rum boats that park off that bar and the people swim up.

I get excited just thinking about it. Maybe Feb if I can convince my better half that we "need" to get away.

Last edited:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was thinking. I checked out a local welder but he wants 75 an hour but he will do a charge by the minute just hope he doesn't milk the time.
Buy you a Stealth scoop, well worth the money, I use a Stealth S3i scoop it has 720- 1/4 inch holes in the bottom Great for sand and shells.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The handle doesnt appear to be connected to the scoop except by those braces...... thats bad. As you pull back on that handle the lower part of that scoop is going to want to move forward...... if you get very much material in the bucket something going to give.... my bet those braces.

Dew

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The handle doesnt appear to be connected to the scoop except by those braces...... thats bad. As you pull back on that handle the lower part of that scoop is going to want to move forward...... if you get very much material in the bucket something going to give.... my bet those braces.

Dew

Yeah there is now a brace across to both braces and I am getting it welded up soon and the bend put in it.Also when the scoop takes it's dump and I know it will. I will fabricate a new one something close to how the stealth looks.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im talking about at the very bottom front of your handle. Those brace support the sides and back.... but most of the pressure when you pull back will be in that area. You best baby it or it wont last long especially in wet sand. I suggest you weld that area. I would have done something like a STEALTH by putting the handle thru the top and into the scoop.... then using SS U bolts to secure it to the back of the scoop.... and id used those side braces like you did. I dont know how your fresh water bottoms are there...... but i suspect its hard pan mud or oat meal sand.... thats a lot of weight to be PUSHING forward if you take a full bite. I dont think the way its set up would last a hunt here in Fl. in the water..... dry sand its a go.

Dew

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im talking about at the very bottom front of your handle. Those brace support the sides and back.... but most of the pressure when you pull back will be in that area. You best baby it or it wont last long especially in wet sand. I suggest you weld that area. I would have done something like a STEALTH by putting the handle thru the top and into the scoop.... then using SS U bolts to secure it to the back of the scoop.... and id used those side braces like you did. I dont know how your fresh water bottoms are there...... but i suspect its hard pan mud or oat meal sand.... thats a lot of weight to be PUSHING forward if you take a full bite. I dont think the way its set up would last a hunt here in Fl. in the water..... dry sand its a go.

Dew
That is the spot I put the brace at, It strengthened it up just wedging it in there, just haven't had the chance to get it welded up yet and the spots I water hunt are gravel or sand. And you are correct it is great in dry sand that is where I tested it in a dry river bed That was when I thought I would need it welded and the bend put in it. I appreciate your input it confirmed the exact spots I was worried about, The cross brace took out the movement I had in the handle. 100_4570.JPG 100_4571.JPG

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put in the welds and added a brace thank you all for your input, for now it will do the job until I replace the scoop, future project. 100_4704.JPG 100_4705.JPG 100_4706.JPG 100_4707.JPG 100_4708.JPG Still need to put 45 degree bend in handle.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull tabs and bottle tops. I dig a bunch of them, but in some spots (the good secret spots) are probably 25 or 50 to 1. I have noticed that the nicer spots provide their drinks in glasses (like an all inclusive). That really limits the junk. Actually, I know one spot that I used to detect once or twice a year that was maybe 10-1 and I would get minimum a piece of gold per hour plus lots of black silver. The resort that I used to stay is no longer a hotel but I know the owner. I should set something up for a bunch of us and hit it again. It has been over 10 years since I have been there. It was the best of the best. I almost went last year, but ended up going to Curacao instead. Not so good for detecting, but quite a nice vacation.

What kills me about that spot is it would be unbelievable for shore dives with a detector. There were a couple of places that I could eyeball with mask/snorkel paper money and the odd piece of bling. Unfortunately, there is no local Scuba shop and the boat won't release tanks for independent diving. Once upon a time, there was a Scuba shop but they went under and were never replaced. For example, just up the shore is a bar with a slide into about 20' of water. I bet under that would pay for the trip. The bling I spotted from the surface was from rum boats that park off that bar and the people swim up.

I get excited just thinking about it. Maybe Feb if I can convince my better half that we "need" to get away.
No.... You need to convince her she needs more bling! That'll get you there quicker a getaway excuse!! 😇

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions