Rough day at the river

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got some more trash out of the river Saturday. I thought it was going to be in the high-60's to low 70's, but the high was 56 degrees with a wind blowing out of the North East with over 30 mile an hour gusts. Highest waves I ever saw in the river and they beat me up something fierce and even put a hurt on my knee. Couldn't wear my glasses with the spray from the waves and even flipped my sifter once. I probably threw some good finds back in the water with all the shells I was scooping up. 49 cents in clad, small junk heart and toe ring. Tried to clean the toe ring up, but hope to soak it in some jewelry cleaner later tonight. Plan to take some photos and get them posted later. The toe ring sounded just like a nail and not the scratchy sound like a chain and I found a fishing lure with a skirt that did the same thing. Lord willing, tomorrow all day at the river. It should be down about 1-2 feet since they started letting the water down Saturday. By the end of the week, it should be down about 3-1/2 feet and stay there about 45 days. I'm supposed to take my wetsuit back Wednesday and hoped to hit it today, but had to take care of Mama and had pt this morning and got two more days. My sister-in-law is having surgery Wednesday and I probably will be tied up the rest of the week, but should have a wetsuit I ordered in by next Monday and I won't have to make the trip to Albany to rent after that. I tried to find a swim hole in Albany I had heard about because I knew the river was high and it would be rough Saturday, but got lost and frustrated and came back to where I know my way around. I got a high tone and looked down around the small dock at the river and it showed 33, but the tone was a quarter and when I scooped it up, that was all that was in my scoop. I hardly ever go by the VDI numbers anymore, just the tone. The place I was looking for close to Albany was real low because they had let their water down about a month ago and it's pretty popular, but when we let our water down, they usually let theirs back up. Just don't have enough free time to go to as many places as I want to, but just getting out is good for my head and my heart. GL & HH.

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rough day at the river is better than no day at the river.

OP
OP
F

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back today and found some clad and junk jewelry. It's down about 2 feet and should be down to 3-1/2 feet by Friday.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the water clear and how fast is it moving? What kind of bottom? Would like to see a pic
If you have one

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A rough day at the river is better than no day at the river.

Nothing could be more true. The river by me is a tough hunt. For the most part it is all sand and during the summer it is tons of tubers. With the river being all nice virgin sand that is not silty or mucky, people swim all over the place and not in concentrated areas. The river is also always moving the sand. What was a nice channel one year is a sandbar the next. As tough hunting as it can be, I keep going back because it is only 2 miles from my house. I have found a lot of rings, but all junkers. I just love being in the water, especially during the summer. Right now it is high and the current is really swift. Add cold water to that and I stay out of it this time of year. If it were low though, I would be all over it!

OP
OP
F

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This area doesn't have too much of a current where I go and most of the time the water is pretty dirty and limited visibility. Stepped on a log yesterday and thought it was a gator and that got the heart rate up some. The bottom is some sand and silt and lots of fresh water mussels and empty shells. By Friday, about 40 feet from the shore will be dry and this place will be swarming with people with detectors especially on the weekends. I will be in the water that's usually over my head about 3.5 feet next week. Hoped to go back tomorrow, but have to take Mama to town Thursday and Friday and pick up the wetsuit I ordered Friday evening. They are having a fly in honoring our veterans at the Ga. Veterans State Park in Cordele, Ga this Saturday and I've always missed this and hope to attend. I'm getting close to silver because I found a 1965, 66 & 67 quarter among the clad Tuesday. HH. Hope I have time Thursday to post photos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions